8,274 posts in this topic

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Trailmix!

It's always nice to dive into this warm pool.

Wow what stories Kathryn and Flames!!

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Sleep, those little slices of death; Oh how I loathe them. :lol:

Great photos and it is indeed always a pleasure to hear from Her Most Trascendental Empress of VJ, we are all humbled whenever you grace us by your presence. :thumbs: Don't worry about being busy, the other day some weird guy was telling me "time is fleeting, madness takes its toll." :lol: Sounds like the race had everything but a white whale. :lol:

Uhm...now you have really made me blush.

People are going to wonder about me when I go out the house today.

Thanks Mumsie!

:star:

I guess I will sleep after I am no longer living.

Edited by SpiritAlight

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning all. 25C and muggy here in Falls Church VA!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting coffee but great cinnabon! I love cinnamon buns - I try to find local cinnamon buns where ever I live and so far the best have been at the Hudson Bay Co cafeteria in Regina (1979) and the New Delicatessen in St. Catharines (1982-88). Have no idea if either location is still in business but those cinnamon buns beat any others hands down - including cinnabon which is too sugary and to sticky and not enough cinnamon. When I moved to Chatham and was travelling near St. Catharines, I used to place a phone order at the New Delicatessen on St. James St (think it was St. James) for 2 dozen (maximum order they would allow) and pick it up, taking them home and freezing them, then enjoying them one at a time, oh so lovingly.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Good morning all. 25C and muggy here in Falls Church VA!

I'd (L) that little man and woman marching into my office each morning and saying Hi Cat here's your coffee, freshly brewed. :luv: one can dream.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

g'morning everyone. coffee is ready!

208146452_a2c1a062c7.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

This is my last week of freedom. I start back to work next Monday, my students come back on Thursday. *sigh* I'm hoping for a less stressful school year this year...or either to win the lottery and become independently wealthy. :D

Maybe a steady supply of Tim's will keep things in balance this year if we don't win the lottery. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline
Interesting coffee but great cinnabon! I love cinnamon buns - I try to find local cinnamon buns where ever I live and so far the best have been at the Hudson Bay Co cafeteria in Regina (1979) and the New Delicatessen in St. Catharines (1982-88). Have no idea if either location is still in business but those cinnamon buns beat any others hands down - including cinnabon which is too sugary and to sticky and not enough cinnamon. When I moved to Chatham and was travelling near St. Catharines, I used to place a phone order at the New Delicatessen on St. James St (think it was St. James) for 2 dozen (maximum order they would allow) and pick it up, taking them home and freezing them, then enjoying them one at a time, oh so lovingly.

Good morning all!

Yes Kathryn, I agree with you about cinnabon - too sweet - too sticky - and not enough cinnamon pretty much describes them :lol:

I also think it's amazing that you can remember where you found cinnamon buns that you like and the years !!

This is my last week of freedom. I start back to work next Monday, my students come back on Thursday. *sigh* I'm hoping for a less stressful school year this year...or either to win the lottery and become independently wealthy. :D

Maybe a steady supply of Tim's will keep things in balance this year if we don't win the lottery. :)

Doesn't school start in September?

What happened to the good ol' days...is my age showing?

Hahahaha!

I say, do not rely on some mythical lottery winning,

I say grab life's bull by the horns and plan an escape from the humdrum.

What is it you would rather be doing?

hmmmm?

Let's get started...

:star:

Over & out, Spirit

Good morning all!

Yes Kathryn, I agree with you about cinnabon - too sweet - too sticky - and not enough cinnamon pretty much describes them :lol:

I also think it's amazing that you can remember where you found cinnamon buns that you like and the years !!

I am a cinnamon bun addict.

Well, that is why I avoid these places as much as humanly possible.

Ha!

As for the very very best:

nothing beats a tiny café on Denman Street, in Vancouver's West End (yes everything there is fuschia, hahaha).

Go in and get a "sticky bun"...you can have it with just (plain) cinnamon, or with blueberries or with apples.

OMG!!!

It is delectable and you feel like you ate a meal.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

:thumbs::thumbs:

Over & out, Spirit

A follow up to my week:

After the race of no sleep and the hours that did not go by quickly enough, we were supposed to go and pick up the doggie from the "farm" (my step-mom-in-laws, phew!) and bring him home on the weekend. He had been there for about 2 weeks.

Okay you all know I do not have love affairs with doggies, only kitties...any kitty.

However, this big smelly, shedding, drooling, loveable, dancing, smiling being was a good companion at times.

Except for my incessant cleaning of where he had been, he was funny and interesting.

He was diagnosed with cancer and extremely quickly degraded.

We went and had him put down on Saturday at the local small town vet.

This must have been my partner's most challenging decision in his life.

The tears!!

The doggy had been so lethargic and not eating or drinking for a few days and when we arrived late Friday night, he still lifted his had and walked a little and wagged his tail. The next morning i even got him to go outside as the other 2 dogs that live there ran around and around us.

I asked him to look for my FIL in the playground where he was going and to hang out with him.

It has been a tough go this year - all outside of me personally - and yet emotional suffering is never to be minimized.

Oh to not be such a sensitive soul.

Then again who would/could I be?

RIP Baron aka Puppy Wuppy.

(F)

And me, well, I am so run down, that I got sick...so much for high energy for my trip to BC tomorrow.

I need to borrow some.

Hee, hee.

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ah Spirit - I am so sorry about your fiance's dog. How sad for him. It is hard decision to make but when the time comes it is much worse to see them suffer.

Your body is telling you to take time for yourself and regenerate - if you keep giving and giving all that energy and not replenishing your own, you won't have any left to give to anyone, including yourself. The race was very physically demanding with all of those extremes. I hope your trip to Vancouver is a little more relaxing, but as soon as you can - relax! Take it easy! Have a massage and do something good for yourself!

Welcome to the US - school starts next week here too - August 4th for local students. They finish school around May 7th though so they just sort have shifted a month. It doesn't matter about heat or cold here because the schools have air conditioning - they have to because it is so hot for so long. So, yeah, school starts a month earlier. I am not sure how extensive it is through the States but it seems pretty common here in the South.

Trailmix, if you had had those cinnamon buns, you wold remember the places and dates as well - they blew anything and everything else ever called a cinnamon bun out of the competition! I would LOVE the recipe for either one - especially the ones from St. Catharines - they were the best of those two. I wasn't the only one who thought so either - they took the buns out of the oven between 11:30 and noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays which is when they baked them. You either had to phone in and reserve some or be there when they came out of the oven because they were generally sold out in about half and hour - and that was with restricting people to no more than 6 buns unless they had phoned in an order.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.