thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Good morning!

Yes looks like it might be a bit cooler here today too Carla (hope so!)

It's raining right now, which seems to be pretty unusual - usually rains in the afternoon - but then again I haven't been here long enough to know what is 'usual' with weather :lol:

So we went to look at a house to rent yesterday evening - this house is as cute as a button - all refurbished and built in the 20's.

We decided to not meet the realtor leasing it right away but instead we would drive through the neighbourhood in the evening (around 7) as, of course, people are generally home from work etc - so you can get a better idea of who is doing what in the hood.

Well, next door to the house is an (obviously) cheap duplex rental, one can tell as it is a bit run down. On the other side is a house that looks fairly normal. We knew there was a building across the street - as in business - because we saw it on google street view. Turns out it is a mental health center - including an emergency mental health center (I have no prob living across the street from it, as long as there isn't going to be great activity with people arriving in the middle of the night etc). In fact it's nice that there are no residences across the street.

Anyway, I would rent it in a minute, except I think we both felt a bit uncomfortable there. That's the problem with not knowing your area, we have no idea what type of neighbourhood we are heading in to before we go there.

I meant to comment on your posting earlier trailmix, sorry! I think the house is very cute! And what a fantastic idea about going around the neighbourhood in the evening. It certainly can give you a different flavour than during the day when maybe a lot of people are working.

I worked for years with a lot of people with mental illnesses. I know of a few centres that were in residential areas in Saskatoon. There was never any problems with residents hanging around. Usually the people that run those places don't want to have any problems for neighbours so that they can stay in that neighbourhood. You might want to go over there and talk to them. Or better yet, talk to the people that are potential neighbours. If you're not used to this type of "clientele". then yes, you're going to maybe feel uncomfortable about being there. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, not without talking to others in the area.

You mentioned a realtor. This is just for renting right? You might want to call a realtor up...not linked to a specific property and tell them...I want this, and this, and this, in this price range. What area do you suggest, and when can I see the places. :lol:

Aren't I just FULL of suggestions today? :lol:

Yes you are ! And fine suggestions they are too!

Yes, I'm not at all worried about the facility across the street, it's just that they have an emergency department there as well so I was thinking it might be kind of noisy at night.

I did email the realtor this afternoon that found us the place we are living in now - he said he will ask around his realtor friends, so that's good.

Wow, it is sooooo dark outside right now, it's seriously looks near night time...wonder what kind of Florida storm this is :lol:

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline

I am just utterly opposed to doing any housework, I hate it. No no, won't, can't do. Na-ha. Long pretty nails, long office hours, no vacuuming. My free time is that, free time for me and Bren. And that's that.

The Lutheran Love Machine on the other hand seems to get all excited about cleaning, so he does it. I suggested paying someone at some point and he refused: because no one will do it better :wacko: --- allrighty then, he can knock himself silly and do it. And if he doesn't, I really don't care much. Our house is not a museum at all, although it does have the the-whole-place-is-a-library look.

Cleaning is just not a priority.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is the reality in our lives too.. I would LOVE to have more time for a cleaner house, but *sigh.. it's just not happening :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

This is the reality in our lives too.. I would LOVE to have more time for a cleaner house, but *sigh.. it's just not happening :(

I would love to have more time to travel, to enjoy Bren's insanity and laugh with him.

I believe a home is made of memories, not of Mr. Clean empties ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would love to have more time to travel, to enjoy Bren's insanity and laugh with him.

Yeah but if you saw my house........ i would like to bump it up a little bit on the priority list :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Yeah but if you saw my house........ i would like to bump it up a little bit on the priority list :)

:rofl: sister, you rock :rofl:

off topic is way back this area.

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

No no, won't, can't do. Na-ha. Long pretty nails, long office hours, no vacuuming.

:rofl:

Oh you crack me up Len!! That's a good link with the beauty product topic :P

Anyways, sometimes you just have no choice but to put the cleaning of the litter box as a no1 on the priority list :P

Me no wanna stink :hehe:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

No no, won't, can't do. Na-ha. Long pretty nails, long office hours, no vacuuming.

:rofl:

Oh you crack me up Len!! That's a good link with the beauty product topic :P

Anyways, sometimes you just have no choice but to put the cleaning of the litter box as a no1 on the priority list :P

Me no wanna stink :hehe:

I know. I had to wash my thermal carafe this morning... not cool, people; not cool :angry: :angry: :angry:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I am nowhere near being a perfect housewife.. I suck in the cleaning department and it sucks because hubby sucks in that department too ... :lol:

but I wash our clothes and cook us yummy dinners most every night and make sure the place looks half way presentable.....

Marilyn, this is me too. I wash the clothes and cook yummy dinners and sometimes feel guilty that the house doesn't look like it comes from House and Garden. It is comfortable but lived in and yeah, I should vacuum more often but I HATE vacuuming and I HATE our vaccum cleaner - you need to be Mr. T to be able to wrestle it around and it doesn't get into corners and everything. I literally have to have a shower after vaccuming because it is such a work-out! The yard is full of weeds and while I wish it looked more trim and neat I keep saying it looks like a 'loved' and 'lived in' yard and is a haven for wildlife and birds in the area. My life is so filled with shoulds sometimes and I realize that this is the pressure I am putting on me only because I think others are judging me for it. The ridiculous thing of it all? I didn't feel nearly as overpowered by the 'shoulds' when I wasn't married - and Joe isn't the one 'should'ing me - it's me. I suck in the cleaning department too - I just hate it! And I don't know where all the hours in the day go because it seems like I am constantly picking up and cleaning instead of doing things for me.

Kathryn, your house is lovely! It is lived in...loved in...it is a HOME. To me, those houses that look so perfect that you're afraid to even breathe wrong are just that...houses. A home is lived in, loved in, and definitely NOT perfect. Our house is that way and it's brand new! I'm telling y'all...Kathryn's home is lovely and she has the most fragrant herb garden out back. :D

I've done the "shoulds" too...it's not worth it IMHO. We don't even have a landscaped yard, or trees, and our garage looks like a tornado hit it. I keep using the excuse "well, we just moved you know..." but I'm not sure how much longer that one will work. :D Well, I mean, we *do* keep the house cleaned, laundry done, and all that jazz but as far as it being immaculate *laughs softly* well, it ain't gonna happen...not in this century!

That, my dear sister, is it in a nutshell...it's all about priorities. My family takes priority over having a magazine perfect house.

Marilyn...never let anyone tell you or make you feel you shouldn't want to be "just a housewife and a mother" and make it sound like something ridiculous. It's one of the most honourable positions IMHO. (F)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

sometimes you just have no choice

I know. I had to wash my thermal carafe this morning... not cool, people; not cool :angry: :angry: :angry:

Oh dear :rolleyes:

:jest:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Off topic this way<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.