thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The car tax thing is ridiculous.

Not only that, I got taxed when I registered the vehicle. So, to recap:

1. I was taxed on the initial purchase.
  2. I was taxed on the value so I could register it in Florida.
  3. I am taxed each year because I own it.
:angry:

I'm going to go in and give it one last shot. At this point it's not a big deal. But if I ever decide to sell it or trade it in, it becomes one. MAN, I am so tired of fighting for what's right. :angry:

I wish you luck, hopefully you will come across a person who understands what you are talking about :thumbs:

Thanks. I will let you know how it turns out.

You must be confused krikit because you don't know that 'taxes are so much lower in the U.S.' :blink:

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You must be confused krikit because you don't know that 'taxes are so much lower in the U.S.' :blink:

:rofl:

You're awesome.

That is priceless!

:star: :star: :star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I remember a while back reading that a bunch of Canadian VJ'ers have a group on Facebook. I have finally joined Facebook and am hoping to join the group.

Can I? Can I? Huh huh huh?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I remember a while back reading that a bunch of Canadian VJ'ers have a group on Facebook. I have finally joined Facebook and am hoping to join the group.

nope

jk :P lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

nope

jk :P lol

Hey!! :)

How do I find t on FB? Is it under a certain name?

Edited by MissStacey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The VJ group is called Visa Journey.

There are other Canadian groups though. Across the border Can-Am Couples. Canadians in the US EH!!! Canadians living in the US (established by me but..haven't kept it up!!)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

So netflix brought us a movie on Tuesday - Tara Road - it's based on the Maeve Binchy novel of the same name.

Tara Road was an Oprah's book club book - which I read and loved and have since read every book that Maeve has written.

Anyway, it was a pretty good movie, it's funny when you have read the book though, I kept kind of filling in the parts that I knew had already happened and you keep thinking - if you hadn't read the book would this really make sense? I guess so!

Funny, the movie was never actually released in the theatres in the U.S., I don't know why.

Oh and I sent a postcard to Maeve to tell her how much I like her books and she sent me a postcard back! :)

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
The VJ group is called Visa Journey.

There are other Canadian groups though. Across the border Can-Am Couples. Canadians in the US EH!!! Canadians living in the US (established by me but..haven't kept it up!!)

Cool- I just joined the Visa Journey group and will look up the other groups.

Thanks!!

So netflix brought us a movie on Tuesday - Tara Road - it's based on the Maeve Binchy novel of the same name.

Tara Road was an Oprah's book club book - which I read and loved and have since read every book that Maeve has written.

Anyway, it was a pretty good movie, it's funny when you have read the book though, I kept kind of filling in the parts that I knew had already happened and you keep thinking - if you hadn't read the book would this really make sense? I guess so!

Funny, the movie was never actually released in the theatres in the U.S., I don't know why.

Oh and I sent a postcard to Maeve to tell her how much I like her books and she sent me a postcard back! :)

That is the coolest thing!

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Timeline

I agree!

And I enjoyed the book, too, Trailmix. :) But I think my favourite one was Evening Class. But I'm not sure, yet, because I still haven't read them all.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I had to leave a Canada--USA forum on yahoo,lol The mod figured she owned the right free speech and CORRECT info! I felt bad for some of the new people that joined (wasnt that big of a forum, and not very active) they passed out incorrect info and I tried to correct them. And to back up my correct info I quoted posts from VJ. Yhey really hated that,lol and then I started to notice my posts were taking forever to be posted, or they were not. She decided to limit what i could say!! Needless to say I left that group,lol

I guess one spaycheque may be taxed less here in the USA (not sure has I haven't worked yet, and I dont pay attention to wifes,lol) but they sure do find other taxes, like the car tax one!! And if one has to purchase private insurance, could be another $400 plus a month for that

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I had to leave a Canada--USA forum on yahoo,lol The mod figured she owned the right free speech and CORRECT info! I felt bad for some of the new people that joined (wasnt that big of a forum, and not very active) they passed out incorrect info and I tried to correct them. And to back up my correct info I quoted posts from VJ. Yhey really hated that,lol and then I started to notice my posts were taking forever to be posted, or they were not. She decided to limit what i could say!! Needless to say I left that group,lol

I guess one spaycheque may be taxed less here in the USA (not sure has I haven't worked yet, and I dont pay attention to wifes,lol) but they sure do find other taxes, like the car tax one!! And if one has to purchase private insurance, could be another $400 plus a month for that

That sucks about the Yahoo group. Maybe we should all join and start talking about VJ to really piss her off.

Filed: Timeline

Nice. :lol:

Not to mention the insurance you have to buy to cover you for people who don't have insurance. :angry:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree!

And I enjoyed the book, too, Trailmix. :) But I think my favourite one was Evening Class. But I'm not sure, yet, because I still haven't read them all.

I have read all her novels and most of her short stories, and Evening Class is my favourite with Scarlet Feather a very close second, and Quentin's a very close third. But heck, I love them all, she is fantastic!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.