thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, Joe and I just had a nice get together with another VJ couple who live in our area and who are applying to remove conditions as well. Anna and Richard live about 5 miles from us as we both found out through the "Removing Conditions' forum. We arranged to meet at the local Barnes and Noble for coffee and a chat. Well, the chat went so well that we ended up going out for lunch together and we virtually spent most of the afternoon chatting! Richard - the American - and Joe have had many similar experiences so they entertained us with the stories of their various travels. Anna is from the Ukraine - a lovely lady and very, very nice and she and Richard are an obviously great match:-) We have made new friends and will be getting together again. I am so pleased! So, that makes a second VJ couple for us now as we have had the pleasure of meeting and getting together with Karen and Joel several times as well.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You won Flames!! woot woot!

The whole flight thing - the stories, just terrible. I don't fly anymore but - well it reminds me why I don't (not that I really need a reminder) :hehe:

As for the house, no she doesn't own it anymore, I believe they had it for a year or two and then my Dad decided they should sell it so he could start his own wildcat drilling business with his Father. That didn't pan out. Plus about 4 years later they moved to Australia :)

Edited by trailmix

Well, Joe and I just had a nice get together with another VJ couple who live in our area and who are applying to remove conditions as well.

Derekkj and Oliver and I are going for our second double date this tuesday... =)

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline

I lived in the same apartment at one time as derekkj and never met,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

So, for all you VJ'ers who live on this side of the US...where would be a good central location for us to meet? I really would like to see a huge get together sometime in the future. Somewhere that wouldn't take a long time getting there...know what I mean? Maybe this summer...maybe plan something long range...I'd really love to meet y'all...all of y'all! :D

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline
Derekkj and Oliver and I are going for our second double date this tuesday... =)

Cool! Another VJ couple gets to meet!

:lol:

So, for all you VJ'ers who live on this side of the US...where would be a good central location for us to meet? I really would like to see a huge get together sometime in the future. Somewhere that wouldn't take a long time getting there...know what I mean? Maybe this summer...maybe plan something long range...I'd really love to meet y'all...all of y'all! :D

I don't mind travelling. If it's in your area we can combine it with a visit to my SIL, who lives in Atlanta. Emancipation's stepkids are there, too, so it might work out for her too.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I don't mind travelling. If it's in your area we can combine it with a visit to my SIL, who lives in Atlanta. Emancipation's stepkids are there, too, so it might work out for her too.

Good morning! Really everyone should come to Florida!

I think we need to do 6 degrees of separation for Derekkj. It would require to him to reveal lots of personal info, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Timeline

Atlanta would be a nice and central gathering point for a number of us scattered here around the south. Any suggestions for a meet-up location? The Zoo or the Botanical Gardens might be fun - although they are pricey. I don't know if the Canadian Consulate is planning another Canada Day event or not - they didn't do one last year - but if they do, then that might be a natural since it would be around Canada Day and a natural time to 'celebrate' our bi-national cultures.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline

Good morning! Really everyone should come to Florida!

I think we need to do 6 degrees of separation for Derekkj. It would require to him to reveal lots of personal info, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

derekkj is a a female!!!! Well she is the one that does the majority of the posting,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Atlanta would be a nice and central gathering point for a number of us scattered here around the south. Any suggestions for a meet-up location? The Zoo or the Botanical Gardens might be fun - although they are pricey. I don't know if the Canadian Consulate is planning another Canada Day event or not - they didn't do one last year - but if they do, then that might be a natural since it would be around Canada Day and a natural time to 'celebrate' our bi-national cultures.

Oh wow. We could actually have our own Canada Day celebration if we can't find one anywhere!

iagree.gif

Well, this will be my last post for a week. My girlfriend is flying in tonight and then we're off to Melbourne. Her daughter is on the Ontario provincial soccer team and is in town playing in a tournament there. Or, rather, she would have been playing in a tournament had she not been taken to the hospital this morning with an enlarged appendix. (They did a CT scan.) So, now, instead of me picking my friend up and heading back to my house, I am picking my friend up and heading to the hospital. Hopefully, Marlee (her daughter) will make a quick recovery and can join her team on the field this week.

We won't get to the hospital until the wee hours of the morning, though. Arlene's flight has been seriously delayed due to the weather conditions. She was supposed to depart an hour ago and change planes in Chicago but it hasn't even left the gate yet. The new arrival time is now 11:45pm. :blink: Hopefully, it doesn't get any later than that.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I am sorry to hear about Marlee - I hope she makes a quick recovery. I hope that Arlene's flight takes off soon and that her travel is uneventful. Have a good time together! See you when you get back.

Here's a cup of hot stuff for your morning!

ig_cup.jpg

So sorry to hear about your friends daughter Crikey! You're going to Melbourne? As in Austrailia?? *takes another sip of coffee* *wake UP Carla!* Enjoy your time away, and hope Marlee is doing a lot better today.

Great idea about a meet up...but Atlanta in the summer?? :blink: I don't mind the idea of going to Atlanta, but could we plan on another time? :blink:

I'm glad so many people have had good experiences meeting people. I've been meeting people I've chatted with on the internet (and I married one too!) for over 10 years and I've always enjoyed the people I've met. Never a bad or scary experience. I organized a meetup of VJ'ers from the St. Louis area in November and we had a meet up and dinner out. Would have been nice spending more than an evening though...so maybe a weekend get-together for us?

I'm off to my first day of training for my new volunteer position as a Patient Advocate with the Long Term Care Ombudsman's Dept. Wish me luck!

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.