thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OH THE COLD!!!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

I should go over to The Vent thread.

I haven't been this cold since my days of youth with the exception of some boat deliveries in the Winter.

I have been trying to convince my sweetie that living in this climate is inhumane.

Think it'll work??

:blush:

Oh I am missing Vancouver....sigh...part of it is the climate!

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

One of my favourites was one where Peter Gzowski narrated Admiral Phipps attack on Quebec City. Gzowski narrates, "Phipps weighed anchor and the AMERICANS set sail."

I phoned up one of Gzowski's aides and asked he could narrate such #######. I think they pulled it off the air shortly thereafter. In case you're wondering what the problem was, it's simple. Phipps attacked Quebec in 1690 and the US declaration of Independence was in 1776. In the short Phipps is wearing red and the US has never had red as a colour in any military uniform. The Continental Army wore blue and fought the redcoats. Finally, the US never attacked Quebec. The British Admiral Phipps did. Some moron was asleep when they wrote the copy. I wonder how many innocent school kids memorized this.

I like it when people call people on this kind of stuff! I would imagine that about 1 in 1000 kids memorized it so it's all good :thumbs:

My GG Grandfather (John Glenn) was the first European settler in the Calgary area. There is a misconception here in this fine city that Sam Livingston was, there is even a statue in Calgary Airport of ole Sam with a sign that states 'Calgary's first Citizen'. John Glenn was here about 2 years before.

I have written many an email and made calls as they took down what is believed to be one of John and Adelaide Glenn's houses in 1999, for an archeological dig, which they meticulously marked so they could put it back together afterwards - never happened. Some of the wood was used in an interpretational display in Fish Creek (where they lived) - which isn't really good enough - oh and I did part of the narration for it, but for the record it was written for me, don't want you calling anyone IR5!

I have since got the minister of - whatever - to agree to release the remaining logs to some place like Fort Calgary - however I haven't been in touch with them yet.

I have a web page about him if anyone is in for some light reading www.johnglenn.ca

Just thought I would share that little story with you all this morning :hehe:

Edited by trailmix

Story-telling.

This is what I'm talkin' about!

Thanks Trailmix.

:star:

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Went to the Doctor this morning. He says I'm one healthy woman.

Got all my vaccine's up to date completely..I'm ready to go! WOO HOO!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

YIPPEEEEE!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

OH THE COLD!!!

I haven't been this cold since my days of youth with the exception of some boat deliveries in the Winter.

I have been trying to convince my sweetie that living in this climate is inhumane.

Think it'll work??

I feel your pain! It's not too cold here today but it has been pretty cold and I'm a lousy excuse for a Canadian - I'm totally allergic to the cold. We're moving to California... I can't WAIT!

OH THE COLD!!!

Think it'll work??

I feel your pain! It's not too cold here today but it has been pretty cold and I'm a lousy excuse for a Canadian - I'm totally allergic to the cold. We're moving to California... I can't WAIT!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

(Envy sets in...snif snif...)

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Obviously he doesn't know about you posting in this forum. :lol: I'm truly happy that you're in good health. :thumbs: Health is indeed capital for life; being sick really sucks.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

OH THE COLD!!!

Think it'll work??

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

(Envy sets in...snif snif...)

He's from California so I didn't have to sell him on the idea... the only sad part about it is that I'll be so far away from my family in Ontario. It's not a hard sell though - great economy, lower cost of living (where we're moving anyway).

Obviously he doesn't know about you posting in this forum. :lol: I'm truly happy that you're in good health. :thumbs: Health is indeed capital for life; being sick really sucks.

IR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -_-

LOL

Hush!!!! ;):lol:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My mother just e-mailed me from PEI.. she went for a drive today (they've had terrible ice storms there) and there are snapped power lines everywhere.. they figure some places won't see power for a week... man.. that sucks hard!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
My mother just e-mailed me from PEI.. she went for a drive today (they've had terrible ice storms there) and there are snapped power lines everywhere.. they figure some places won't see power for a week... man.. that sucks hard!

That is too bad, it must be scary for those people!

On another note, I just read this, I guess Scholastic has changed a bit. 10 year olds have edgy humour?:

'Disturbing' Valentine's cards pulled after complaint

Moira Baird, Canwest News Service

Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2008

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. - Scholastic Canada Ltd. is pulling a line of children's Valentine's Day cards with messages that read wish you were "floating face down in a river" or let's be the kind of friends "who throw up a little each time we see each other."

The action follows a complaint from a St. John's parent after her eight-year-old brought the cards, which are aimed at older students, home from school.

Tina Dale says when her daughter ordered them she had no idea of the messages the card would carry. She says they weren't the kind of cards she wanted Emily to give to her Grade 3 friends.

They're quite disturbing," she said. "To me, it indicated murdering people, hating people - that's just not normal."

The company appears to be listening - it's pulling the Happy Bunny valentines from its children's catalogue.

"We are very sorry to have disappointed you with this product," said Megan Faulkner, Arrow Book Club manager for Scholastic, in an e-mail response to Dale.

"The Arrow Book Club is for grades 4 to 8. ... We did not promote this for younger children, and most certainly not for Grade 3," Faulkner said.

The cards are based on the "Happy Bunny" series by U.S. author Jim Benton. Among his books are Love Bites, Life. Get one, and The Good, The Bad and the Bunny.

"Ten-year-olds routinely say things to each other like, 'I'm going to kill you if you don't get off those swings' ... they don't actually do it," Benton said from Detroit.

Describing the cards as "sarcastic and mean-spirited," Benton said they're aimed at kids 10 years and older who share that kind of edgy humour.

link

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

OMG, don't get me started on the "bunny"...a lot of our kids at school wear those "bunny" shirts with those sarcastic sayings. I'm definately NOT a fan...we teachers have enough sarcasm to deal with daily at our school , we certainly don't need this "bunny" helping matters any. :angry:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline
OMG, don't get me started on the "bunny"...a lot of our kids at school wear those "bunny" shirts with those sarcastic sayings. I'm definately NOT a fan...we teachers have enough sarcasm to deal with daily at our school , we certainly don't need this "bunny" helping matters any. :angry:

I like the bunny haha, but NOT for kids! What were they thinking. Kids are supposed to be kids and if you are 10 and have an 'edgy' sense of humour you are supposed to hide it from your parents, not flaunt it on your valentine's day cards.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.