You need a better name.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good morning. Carpet cleaners did a wonderful job. It was all the more better because I didn't have to do it! I've been doing ESL work at a local school for Albanian students. They had a lot of kids that needed assistance, and ended up hiring an ESL teacher. Great I say! Until she got her feet wet, the teacher asked me not to come in until she got "organized". Well, it's been a month now...how long does one need to get organized?? I'm going to phone her today and find out what's up. If she's not interested in my assistance (and why wouldn't someone want assistance for free????) then I'm going to be looking elsewhere.

Here's a hot cuppa.

630steamingcoffeecupty5.gif

Carla (F)

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline

Morning Carla! I'd like to get my carpets cleaned also. Actually, I'd like to get rid of my carpets altgether and put in hardwood. Why in the world anyone would install off-white carpeting to begin with is beyond me, but whatever.

The ESL teacher sounds like she "organized" you out of a job. LOL. Definitely call her, though, just in case. Sounds weird that they have an entire school for Albanian students. I had no idea there were that many in one area.

iagree.gif

Yikes....we have off white carpets as well! Ick! Gene put them in. He's a neat freak and it doesn't bother him at all (the colour). I too want to get hardwood as well! :thumbs: I don't see many hardwood floors here in this part of the US.

I was volunteering with two families (5 kids). They were having a difficult time as they just moved to the US in the summer. I started with them early fall. They are amazing kids and I loved working with them. There were other kids at the school, from other first languages, maybe not needing as much work, but I could only work with so many kids at a time, and these 5 really needed help fast! This ESL teacher they hired, fell into their lap. She IS super organized, and really "administratively" focussed. She said she

wanted to test kids and see where they were at before organizing a game plan. She's been there about a month and a half now, and is still doing "paperwork". I'm annoyed because in the meantime, these kids I was working with aren't getting any services. I have called her twice now.

I love volunteering. I've done it most of my life, even while I was working. I have so much to offer. I'm annoyed that someone thinks that MY time isn't as valuable as theirs I guess. When instead, mine is MORE valuable, since I have less of it.

Will call her today.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Good morning. Carpet cleaners did a wonderful job. It was all the more better because I didn't have to do it! I've been doing ESL work at a local school for Albanian students. They had a lot of kids that needed assistance, and ended up hiring an ESL teacher. Great I say! Until she got her feet wet, the teacher asked me not to come in until she got "organized". Well, it's been a month now...how long does one need to get organized?? I'm going to phone her today and find out what's up. If she's not interested in my assistance (and why wouldn't someone want assistance for free????) then I'm going to be looking elsewhere.

Here's a hot cuppa.

630steamingcoffeecupty5.gif

Carla (F)

coffee! *jumps in and does the backstroke*

ty very much carla (F)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
Yikes....we have off white carpets as well! Ick! Gene put them in. He's a neat freak and it doesn't bother him at all (the colour). I too want to get hardwood as well! :thumbs: I don't see many hardwood floors here in this part of the US.

I was volunteering with two families (5 kids). They were having a difficult time as they just moved to the US in the summer. I started with them early fall. They are amazing kids and I loved working with them. There were other kids at the school, from other first languages, maybe not needing as much work, but I could only work with so many kids at a time, and these 5 really needed help fast! This ESL teacher they hired, fell into their lap. She IS super organized, and really "administratively" focussed. She said she wanted to test kids and see where they were at before organizing a game plan. She's been there about a month and a half now, and is still doing "paperwork". I'm annoyed because in the meantime, these kids I was working with aren't getting any services. I have called her twice now.

I love volunteering. I've done it most of my life, even while I was working. I have so much to offer. I'm annoyed that someone thinks that MY time isn't as valuable as theirs I guess. When instead, mine is MORE valuable, since I have less of it.

Hardwood floors are hard to find here in Florida also. Interesting story..... there is a new subdivision down the road from where we bought. My husband went to see it while I was still in Canada and they were so eager to sell one of the spec homes that they offered us a really great deal. At that time it was still under construction so I told them my likes and dislikes and that I'd fly down to see it. Well, by the time I got here they had finished it..... with every material and colour that I hate. The salesperson was absolutely gushing about how gorgeous it was and didn't I just LOVE it. :blink: I said "No. I hate it." and walked away from the deal. (They had installed horrible ceramic tile throughout the entire house, knowing full well that I wanted hardwood. Even if they'd installed carpet it wouldn't have been a problem to tear it up and put in the flooring. But to tear out ceramic? Fugedaboudit. NO idea what they were thinking. Jeff said he couldn't understand why the designer had put in those materials and colours. He had gone to meet with her in Orlando at the design studio and said her other designs were lovely. Oh well.

Awww. That's sad about the kids not getting the help they require. I hope you have success with your phonecall today, Carla.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Love hardwood!! Last house in Vic was all hardwood and tile at entrance and in bathrooms! So easy to clean! have carpet in our condo! Would put in hardwood, but being on the second floor, dont think my neighbor below me would appreciate that!! Oh well, another 1.5 yrs will be selling anyways.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Only problem with hardwood, is that you see all the dirt, dust bunnies!! You soon realize how much ####### the carpet hides!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I never lie!!! :ph34r:

Timeline
Only problem with hardwood, is that you see all the dirt, dust bunnies!! You soon realize how much ####### the carpet hides!!

That's so true.

That is so true! We do have hardwood, just not in the bedrooms - hence the floor mate. It is cleaner I think, to have hard floors but the downside is it is pretty chilly on ye feet and have to vacuum pretty much every day (or use the swiffer) - hence my little friend the roomba. Even with the floormate it's a big job - the floor mate is actually pretty heavy, it has become the Husband's job.

Oh and Carla it sounds like the new teacher has some control issues, I hope when you finally do go back to volunteering with the kiddies that she will be ok to work with.

Edited by trailmix

My left nostril has been clogged for like 2 hours. I'm starting to get a headache :cry:

I love hardwood floors.

:lol:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.