22 posts in this topic

I'm curious how this would be worse than someone entering the US on a tourist visa, failing to return and then getting married to a US citizen? Is there something specific to a K1 that bans them?

It's specific to K-1. It's in INA 245(d)

The Attorney General may not adjust, under subsection (a), the status of a nonimmigrant alien described in section 101(a)(15)(K) except to that of an alien lawfully admitted to the United States on a conditional basis under section 216 as a result of the marriage of the nonimmigrant (or, in the case of a minor child, the parent) to the citizen who filed the petition to accord that alien's nonimmigrant status under section 101(a)(15)(K) .

The 101(a)(15)(K) section is the section that describes the K-1 visa. In plain language INA 245(d), that says that a K-1 alien cannot adjust status except as a result of a marriage to the original petitioner.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks Lucyrich - it's very helpful to have the actual law cited.

And everyone else should avoid posting answers to questions when they clearly do not have the correct answer. There is WAY too much misinformation in this thread alone that could have had disasterous results for the OP.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

And everyone else should avoid posting answers to questions when they clearly do not have the correct answer. There is WAY too much misinformation in this thread alone that could have had disasterous results for the OP.

thank you I agree quotes from the actual law is the best

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Many people on this board have difficulties with basic English, quoting the actual law is unlikely to help.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yup, apologies.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi there,

Your wife should not leave the country!!!!! If she entered with inspection (which it appears that she did) she can adjust her status right here. If she does leave, she is subject to the 10 year ban. If, infact she would have to file a 601 waiver, she can do that in country here as well. Check out the forum for adjustment of status on Immigrate2us.net.

Good luck,

Chris

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hi there,

Your wife should not leave the country!!!!! If she entered with inspection (which it appears that she did) she can adjust her status right here. If she does leave, she is subject to the 10 year ban. If, infact she would have to file a 601 waiver, she can do that in country here as well. Check out the forum for adjustment of status on Immigrate2us.net.

Good luck,

Chris

Again, she is NOT eligible to AOS in country. Although her entry was legal, she did not comply with the requirements of the K1 which - one of which to marry the petitioner. Her only option is to go through the spousal visa process with her current husband, interview in her home country and have her waiver approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.