LittleStevey

i-864 Capital Gains Income Question

6 posts in this topic

Hello,  I am in a unique situation, my only income is from capital gains the last three years, (my adjusted gross income on my tax transcripts from the IRS are x2-3 requirement).
I have no W-2's or traditional "job". 

Will this be enough to show financial support? Will I need to find a joint sponsor? I've read many conflicting things, and can't have my case delayed for months because a RFE (would they even issue a RFE or deny outright?)
Thanks for the help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

How do u prove the capital gains to IRS?

1 of my investments sends a 1099 

the other 3 i have to include end of the year statement showing years' movements and interest(s)

Do u do schedule D on the 1040 for capital gains  and then transfer to 1040 line 13?

are they long term or short term ?

Capital gains and losses are classified as long-term or short term. If you hold the asset for more than one year, your capital gain or loss is long-term. If you hold the asset one year or less, your capital gain or loss is short-term. To figure the holding period, begin counting on the day after you received the property and include the day you disposed of the property

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

How do u prove the capital gains to IRS?

1 of my investments sends a 1099 

the other 3 i have to include end of the year statement showing years' movements and interest(s)

Do u do schedule D on the 1040 for capital gains  and then transfer to 1040 line 13?

are they long term or short term ?

Capital gains and losses are classified as long-term or short term. If you hold the asset for more than one year, your capital gain or loss is long-term. If you hold the asset one year or less, your capital gain or loss is short-term. To figure the holding period, begin counting on the day after you received the property and include the day you disposed of the property

None of the above matters in the context of the affidavit of support.  This sponsor is a self employed investor.  His current income will be the "Total Income" figure from his latest (should be 2023) US Federal tax return.  AGI (might be the same number) is irrelevant to a self employed person.  Self employed never file a 1040 EZ.

Two sections of the affidavit to enter income.  The past tax returns section, and the current income section.  Unique to the self employed is that the most recent income reported in the tax section is the same as the "current income" as it is not "income" (again, in this context) until it appears on the tax return.  In this situation the total income will be the capital gains minus applicable losses.  It doesn't matter whether the gains were long term or short term.  If they are included in the plus side, then the plus minus the minus, is the "total income".

A "Self Employed Investor" with ample capital gains income, would also declare and document the underlying investment capital in the asset section of the affidavit, further supporting their qualification to sponsor the immigrant.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, LittleStevey said:

Bump, anyone have any ideas about this? Cant find any answers

You already have your answer.  That's why others aren't answering.  If you study the I-864 instructions, you'll see that my answer is consistent with those instructions.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.