Howy

CFO Manila: Experience for a 20 Year Old?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, Filipino beneficiary here.

My medical is halfway done, and after my interview, the CFO comes next. My fiancé and I have a 21 year age gap, and I’m only 20. I hear from others CFO will not like that.

I honestly am more scared of it than the interview, where I could be talking to American consuls instead, because what if the CFO officer denies a certificates based on that age gap alone? The reason I’m worried is because of experiences I hear from my fellow Filipinos. The CFO is the bigger battle to me because sometimes its also fellow Filipinos who drag down other Filipinos.

For those who know here, is there any tip or added step you guys could advise me? Additional documentation to show? Specific attitude? When to schedule even?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the PI forum, from K1 P&P - as the topic is country specific.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

CFO has never been to concerned by age gap by itself but they have been known to give younger applicants a little closer scrutiny.  Just go in there prepared to talk confidently about your relationship.  The counselor may judge you by if they think you know what your are getting into with your relationship. If you seem responsible and mature they shouldn't give you any problems.  In general CFO has been allot easier to deal with lately.  After the total meltdown they had last summer they seem to have settled down a bit.  No recent complaints about them that I have heard.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, top_secret said:

CFO has never been to concerned by age gap by itself but they have been known to give younger applicants a little closer scrutiny.  Just go in there prepared to talk confidently about your relationship.  The counselor may judge you by if they think you know what your are getting into with your relationship. If you seem responsible and mature they shouldn't give you any problems.  In general CFO has been allot easier to deal with lately.  After the total meltdown they had last summer they seem to have settled down a bit.  No recent complaints about them that I have heard.

Oh if thats true that’s good news! Do you mind telling me more about the meltdown in question? Just curious.

Also, has anyone had the experience yet of a CFO officer refusing to issue a certificate if you dont provide them a police certificate from your American fiance? I’ve already heard recent horror stories about that. Would want to prepare in advance (whether there are other docs to bring, specific details to take note, etc).

Timeline

As mentioned above, CFO has calmed down a lot.  Don't worry about it too much.  Be confident and friendly during your counseling session.  Take the same documents you took to your interview.  Police certificate for fiancé is not required.  CFO was never intended to be a point of denial.  It was intended to be educational, preparing you for life in your new country.  For a while, they decided to be judge and jury, but it's not like that now.  Just be truthful and confident and you will be fine.

8 hours ago, Howard L said:

My medical is halfway done, and after my interview, the CFO comes next. My fiancé and I have a 21 year age gap, and I’m only 20. I hear from others CFO will not like that.

I honestly am more scared of it than the interview, where I could be talking to American consuls instead, because what if the CFO officer denies a certificates based on that age gap alone? The reason I’m worried is because of experiences I hear from my fellow Filipinos. The CFO is the bigger battle to me because sometimes its also fellow Filipinos who drag down other Filipinos.

For those who know here, is there any tip or added step you guys could advise me? Additional documentation to show? Specific attitude? When to schedule even?

First off, that's not really a huge age gap. Its actually pretty common. My wife and I are25 years. Like Top Secret said, be confident not timid and you will be fine. Second, don't worry so much. All my years on this forum I have seen some be given a hard time, but I don't recall anyone that did not receive their sticker in the end.

Timeline
18 hours ago, Howard L said:

Don't worry yourself to much about the CFO. Some officers can be rude and try to use scare tactics. Just be confident in your answers and be strong. 

My wife went thru CFO a few of years ago, when you actually met face to face. They told crazy stories about foreign husbands (American) only wanting house keepers and sex slaves. Trying to find a reason for you to second guess yourself about the whole process. 

Also don't worry about age gap. My wife and I have about a 25 year difference. 

• 3 months later...
Timeline

It’s been a couple of months since my CFO experience. Based on my experience I will say this:

Your overall CFO experience mainly depends on your counselor. 7 times out of 10 you will leave with a smile. To my surprise, I left with ugly tears. 

You will benefit bringing a police certificate. Also, show whatever you can show when asked. 

When you can, be polite and say “yes” to everything. Be kind.

Delays can happen. Ideally you get your certificate the same day as your appointment. Delays can happen from two weeks to a month. I was lucky to only be delayed by two weeks.

Smile. Be polite. Again, be kind.

These are all things I wish I knew at the time of my CFO GCP. Good luck to all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.