TUC

Receipt number invalid???

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yesterday I received all the receipt numbers for all the forms filed from AOS. I went to enter all 9 into my case tracker soI can keep an eye on them. All of them came up except one, which is for one of the I-485s (i had K1, and 2 K2s), when I type in the receipt number it says, “The receipt number entered is invalid.” I also tried entering into the uscis website directly and got a similar response. Should I be concerned, or try to contact USCIS about it? I double, and triple checked and I am entering it exactly as it was given to me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Case tracker isn't an official USCIS website. Why people still use this is beyond me. 

Go and create an online USCIS account. Those 3rd party sites don't get information unless USCIS updates it. Basically, they pull information, from the USCIS account, using your receipts numbers that you provided them. So, if USCIS updates, they pick it up later and update. If no update from USCIS, then no update from 3rd party sites. So, why not just use your USCIS account??

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Timona said:

Case tracker isn't an official USCIS website. Why people still use this is beyond me. 

Go and create an online USCIS account. Those 3rd party sites don't get information unless USCIS updates it. Basically, they pull information, from the USCIS account, using your receipts numbers that you provided them. So, if USCIS updates, they pick it up later and update. If no update from USCIS, then no update from 3rd party sites. So, why not just use your USCIS account??

I am aware the case tracker is a third party site, but it is quick and easy to check the status of all my cases with one click of an icon so that is why I use it. 

Yes I do have an online USCIS account and I did input the number directly into my USCIS account and it also came up as invalid as stated in my original post.

Timeline

Giving data to third parties isn't something I'd recommend. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Timona said:

Noted. That being said, any reccomendation on what to do about the invalid receipt number ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It might be that this case number has not caught up in the system yet.  You might try the "Ask Emma" / "Case Status" option then try to get a live chat.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Timona said:

This data is already publicly available without any login.

Just enter any case number here and you'll get the status - https://egov.uscis.gov/. This is how most if not all tracker apps work.

The case numbers are sequential and predictable, allowing some websites pulling statuses for blocks of cases (hundreds and thousands) every day and updating database.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

This data is already publicly available without any login.

Just enter any case number here and you'll get the status - https://egov.uscis.gov/. This is how most if not all tracker apps work.

The case numbers are sequential and predictable, allowing some websites pulling statuses for blocks of cases (hundreds and thousands) every day and updating database.

I know this. Was just wondering why someone would not favor getting information direct from the source like you just mentioned but go the 3rd party route. 

1 hour ago, Timona said:

I know this. Was just wondering why someone would not favor getting information direct from the source like you just mentioned but go the 3rd party route. 

Convenience is probably the reason. If only USCIS built a good app that could help tracking one's cases and get immediate notification when case is approved. I'm aware of text message / email alerts for updates to the case and uses them too.

Another reason for using websites for tracking progress of hundreds of cases is to know which cases USCIS is actively working on. The official processing times are not transparent or detailed enough. But third party apps give a better insight. For example, when my I-751 was pending I checked the status of about 10000 neighboring cases around mine filed within a month before and a month after me. I kept watching it few times a week. One moment USCIS started touching neighboring cases - issuing RFEs, scheduling interviews, approving and denying ROC petitions. That gave me an idea that my case is going to be processed within a month or so. Soon after tracker app showed cases being looked at, VJ folks in relevant month threads started posting updates about their cases. So it may be useful to some people.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 4/10/2024 at 2:52 PM, TUC said:

Noted. That being said, any reccomendation on what to do about the invalid receipt number ?

Hey don't listen to that individual(Timona) .  I had the same issue. He was more "worried" about me using a third party than my actual experience.  Ridiculous.  Keep in mind i was also using my uscis account.  Nothing is wrong with using Lawfully and case tracker!  IGNORE him! After another week my case was finally showing. It was received 3/28 , got txt messages and emails from 4/4 -4/5. Got another txt message on the 11th. When i checked online,they are re using my biometrics for the i485/i765 and my "case is actively being reviewed " which I know doesn't mean anything lol

Edited by jamaicangyal91

Timeline
On 4/16/2024 at 7:01 AM, jamaicangyal91 said:

Hey don't listen to that individual(Timona) .  I had the same issue. He was more "worried" about me using a third party than my actual experience.  Ridiculous.  Keep in mind i was also using my uscis account.  Nothing is wrong with using Lawfully and case tracker!  IGNORE him! After another week my case was finally showing. It was received 3/28 , got txt messages and emails from 4/4 -4/5. Got another txt message on the 11th. When i checked online,they are re using my biometrics for the i485/i765 and my "case is actively being reviewed " which I know doesn't mean anything lol

Did they eventually sneed the hard copy of your I-797C NOA1 for the I-485? (The one with the online access code) for some reason i still haven’t received the one or my wife which is the number that originally wasnt working in the system. However I have received the online access code for my 2 step daughters. IDK why my wife’s case number seems to be lagging behind in the system. I even received the biometrics appointment in the mail today for all 3, but still no access code for my wife.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.