FolieADeux

Pertussis vaccine unavailable in UK for men

31 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, appleblossom said:

Has he actually had his medical yet? Any missing vaccines can be given there, we each had a couple given to us last summer when we had ours (different ones for each of us). 

He hasn't, but that is really good news if that is true! I told him to try and call the embassy tomorrow and ask them if he really needs it because every place he has contacted has told him they only offer Pertussis to pregnant women and children, so maybe he can just ask them about it there. Thank you!

9 hours ago, SalishSea said:

This is absolutely NOT correct.  Polio is an entirely separate vaccine that is not ever combined with other vaccines.  The P in both of these is pertussis.

Very much doubt you will find a single agent pertussis vaccine either in the US or UK.  It is combined with the other vaccines into DtaP or TDaP, and typically given to adults in the US every 10 years as a tetanus booster, even though it provides protection against diphtheria and pertussis as well.

Source:  RN x 24 years.

Look, he has the receipt for his vaccine. Maybe that's true in your country, but not his. His clearly shows "DIP/TET/PO", all in one. Don't need your toxicity in here.

12 minutes ago, FolieADeux said:

Look, he has the receipt for his vaccine. Maybe that's true in your country, but not his. His clearly shows "DIP/TET/PO", all in one. Don't need your toxicity in here.

But you said above he'd had DTAP (which is pertussis), now you say it's DTP - has he had both? If not, which is it?

@SalishSea, in the UK polio isn't routinely given separately. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/polio/

Edited by appleblossom

11 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

But you said above he'd had DTAP (which is pertussis), now you say it's DTP - has he had both? If not, which is it?

@SalishSea, in the UK polio isn't routinely given separately. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/polio/

22 minutes ago, FolieADeux said:

Neither TDaP nor DTaP contain pertussis, which is what the OP stated.

OP, no one is being toxic.  You were factually incorrect.

Edited by SalishSea

7 hours ago, milimelo said:

Look up 6-in-1 vaccine for infants on NHS - includes polio. Not saying it's right to bundle all in one, but they have done it. 

DTaP and TDaP both include pertussis, not polio.

2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

DTaP and TDaP both include pertussis, not polio.

The 6 in 1 jab that @milimelo mentioned has both. See the link I gave above about polio vaccines in the UK, here's the info on the 6 in 1 - https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.2586.pdf

Just now, appleblossom said:

The 6 in 1 jab that @milimelo mentioned has both. See the link I gave above about polio vaccines in the UK, here's the info on the 6 in 1 - https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.2586.pdf

That may be, but the OP originally stated that one of the two: DTaP or TDaP contains polio, which is incorrect.

Just now, SalishSea said:

That may be, but the OP originally stated that one of the two: DTaP or TDaP contains polio, which is incorrect.

Yep, I was responding to the comment you made before you edited your post, my response is out of date now. 😂

1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

I am realizing that this whole situation is way over my head - I thought I would get a straightforward answer in here but I have concluded I have no clue how this stuff works in the UK, plus I didn't realize there were so many variations of these vaccine combinations.

I told my fiance he's going to have to figure it out on his own because I am seeing all sorts of conflicting information everywhere and I don't have the knowledge to get answers. He's going to call the embassy tomorrow, tell them what exactly he received when he got his other vaccinations and find out what he needs.

I realize you all are trying to give me useful information and I appreciate you taking the time to do that. This whole process has been so exhausting and frustrating. Thanks for trying to help me!

13 minutes ago, FolieADeux said:

I am realizing that this whole situation is way over my head - I thought I would get a straightforward answer in here but I have concluded I have no clue how this stuff works in the UK, plus I didn't realize there were so many variations of these vaccine combinations.

I told my fiance he's going to have to figure it out on his own because I am seeing all sorts of conflicting information everywhere and I don't have the knowledge to get answers. He's going to call the embassy tomorrow, tell them what exactly he received when he got his other vaccinations and find out what he needs.

I realize you all are trying to give me useful information and I appreciate you taking the time to do that. This whole process has been so exhausting and frustrating. Thanks for trying to help me!

He can't phone the consulate about it, he needs to phone Visa Medicals. Or (probably easier) just call his doctor to try and decode his medical record if it's not clear to him what vaccinations he's had. If he's had all the other standard vaccinations and lived in the UK then I'm pretty sure he'll have had pertussis as part of one of the normal childhood jabs. 

Good luck. 

Edited by appleblossom

55 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

He can't phone the consulate about it, he needs to phone Visa Medicals. Or (probably easier) just call his doctor to try and decode his medical record if it's not clear to him what vaccinations he's had. If he's had all the other standard vaccinations and lived in the UK then I'm pretty sure he'll have had pertussis as part of one of the normal childhood jabs. 

Good luck. 

I'll relay this to him, thank you again.

Unfortunately he did go back through his childhood vaccinations and there is no record of him getting the pertussis vaccine. I'm not sure why that would be, as he was born in the 90's.  But yes, this has to be in his hands. I have no way of contacting people over there. I'm generally the one trying to spearhead difficult tasks but I have to sit back on this one lol. It also sounds like since he got the DIP/TET/PO that might be sufficient...? I don't know, I'm just going to let things happen. We were trying to be proactive as he hasn't even gone to his medical exam yet so he can ask them when he does that to be sure.

Take care and thank you again.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:57 AM, FolieADeux said:

I'll relay this to him, thank you again.

Unfortunately he did go back through his childhood vaccinations and there is no record of him getting the pertussis vaccine. I'm not sure why that would be, as he was born in the 90's.  But yes, this has to be in his hands. I have no way of contacting people over there. I'm generally the one trying to spearhead difficult tasks but I have to sit back on this one lol. It also sounds like since he got the DIP/TET/PO that might be sufficient...? I don't know, I'm just going to let things happen. We were trying to be proactive as he hasn't even gone to his medical exam yet so he can ask them when he does that to be sure.

Take care and thank you again.

Isn’t pertussis the “P” in the DIP combo vaccine?   If he’s had that, he should be fine.   

On 4/9/2024 at 7:30 PM, appleblossom said:

Odd, but if it's not available to adults then it's not available. Same as the varicella vaccine which is required for US immigration, but which is waived for UK applicants, as we can't get it there. 

Just give them a call and ask, they're super helpful and they'll be able to tell him if they'll mark it as 'not routinely available' of it it will be an issue and he'll need a waiver.

If you read the advice for surgeons performing these medicals, it specifically states for varicella that a verbal confirmation of having previously had chickenpox will suffice. 

43 minutes ago, Jojomaman said:

If you read the advice for surgeons performing these medicals, it specifically states for varicella that a verbal confirmation of having previously had chickenpox will suffice. 

Or not even that, if you're from the UK - we were never asked about it, and none of us had any record of having had chickenpox on our medical records either. It was just marked as 'routinely not available' and that was that, medicals passed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.