Bengoj

Marriage fraud

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
8 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Get everything together to prove the forgery, send it to the consulate, send it to the fraud unit. I can't remember the actual name and how to get their attention to get it to the right department.

Fraud Prevention Officer, Immigrant Visa Unit.

You might also consider notifying CBP (Customs & Border Protection) in case he tries returning here.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

11 hours ago, Oko Vicki said:

I had to delete my original comment because I didn't want to sound like I was judging the OP.

I had a counterfeit divorce decree issue myself and it was picked up at the consulate in Lagos. 

OP said they discovered. They also said the divorce decree has been "confirmed" to be fake. Like you pointed out, the beneficiary was able to Naturalize under 3 year rule, then divorced. 

OP now wants to report marriage fraud? Hmmmm ok. As you also pointed out, does OP know they would also be indicted in this marriage fraud case? 

USCIS would probably laugh this off as a case of an embittered ex-spouse. I am certain they did their due diligence all through Consulate, RoC and Naturalization processes. 

Thanks for posting this.  It does shed some light on the issues here which are perhaps unique to Nigeria.

10 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Once you send in hard proof that it was all a scam, send them proof of who he is married too and all the proof that marriage is still ongoing.

Good point.  If this scenario is correct, OP's spouse is now positioned to potentially bring over that wife, child, and extended family.  Denaturalization is uncommon, but would be completely appropriate in this case.

3 hours ago, SalishSea said:

Good point.  If this scenario is correct, OP's spouse is now positioned to potentially bring over that wife, child, and extended family.  Denaturalization is uncommon, but would be completely appropriate in this case.

But why did he fake the divorce?  Couldn't he have done all this and just remarried his original wife?  Seems like the divorce being fake was completely unnecessary and a stupid risk.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can think of all sorts of variants, just a few points

1. Nigeria and fake divorces are well known
  2. DoS do check
  3. Seems that in this case the OP also told them, so extra reason to check.
  4. Who knows the validity of the Lawyer in Nigeria
  5. Maybe he subsequently had a valid divorce.
  6. Not sure what the US Consulate in Lagos have to do with this, he is a USC, maybe in Nigeria, I doubt he needs Csulate Services.
  7. If he wishes to petition his GF than all this will be gone through again.
  8. Sounds like the OP has not divorced if not then that should be a priority, I suppose if he never was free to marry then the marriage was never legal but doubt she has evidence of that to convince a US court.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, JD2 said:

But why did he fake the divorce?  Couldn't he have done all this and just remarried his original wife?  Seems like the divorce being fake was completely unnecessary and a stupid risk.

He will have to remarry the first wife if he wants to petition her. Otherwise he is admitting to polygamy. If USCIS/ the consulate in Turkey didn’t catch the first divorce was fake they’ll probably catch it the second time around. Especially, if they interview in Nigeria. 
I personally don’t think hubby is bringing first wife to the US. The fact of divorce first wife, marry USC, divorce USC, remarry first wife is a known scam… 

@Bengoj should submit her evidence to the places @TBoneTX suggested and then move on with her life. 
The fraud finding/ stripping of US citizenship  isn’t going to happen over night… so thinking about this for the next 5+ years won’t be too productive. And bothering USCIS over and over will most likely make it look like she is a bitter spouse not someone interested in justice. 

Edited by Redro

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
9 hours ago, Family said:

A court case that features a “savvy college educated” fellow, a fake Nigerian divorce decree, a Consulate Officer testimony and a Nigerian Attorney ( testifying on Zoom)…

dl?inline

Almost sounds like a movie script, doesn't it?!! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

2. DoS do check
  6. Not sure what the US Consulate in Lagos have to do with this, he is a USC, maybe in Nigeria, I doubt he needs Csulate Services.
  8. Sounds like the OP has not divorced if not then that should be a priority, I suppose if he never was free to marry then the marriage was never legal but doubt she has evidence of that to convince a US court.

There just seems to be a few things stacked against OP. I'd just divorce him and move on with my life.

If the husband did do something shady, then this is such a terrible look for USCIS for missing it at I130 level, Consulate, ROC and then N400; that is a lot of hurdle to cross with a fake divorce decree. A regular citizen found what a multibilllion dollars state department couldn't find 4 different times? Hmm hmm. 

Your 7th point is very key. If he ever petitions, then the scrutiny starts all over again, perhaps he will get caught this time, or not. Who even knows anymore. 

Also, point 4, I wouldn't trust many of the lawyers back there, what if they told you what you wanted to hear for some $$? 

Anyways, if he indeed perpetrated this evil, I hope he gets caught. He has to. He must. 

6 hours ago, JD2 said:

Well known Nigerian scam.   Scammer obtains falsified documents, married American, divorces and then brings over original wife and family.

4 hours ago, Boiler said:

2. DoS do check

The consulate would be involved if his naturalization was in question, as it pertains to the eligibility for other IR visas.

2 hours ago, SalishSea said:

Well known Nigerian scam.   Scammer obtains falsified documents, married American, divorces and then brings over original wife and family.

But why the fake divorce rather than a real divorce?  How does a fake one benefit him?

5 minutes ago, JD2 said:

But why the fake divorce rather than a real divorce?  How does a fake one benefit him?

He might not know the divorce was fake. 
If you listen to a certain YouTube show with a certain lawyer. You’ll find out people get divorced in Nigeria when they are overseas and the lawyer handling their case will take the money and run. And then send them fake paperwork. 
The advice to many Nigerians is to get divorced IN AMERICA then remarry their USC spouse so USCIS doesn’t question the validity of the divorce document. 
OP might not know the full story… her husband might have obtained a divorce in Turkey but used Nigerian divorce paperwork for first immigration benefit. I know a few people get confused and get divorced twice (once in country they live in and again in their home country)… 

But also, OP might have been lied to by the lawyer in Nigeria- he could have said the divorce was fake when it was actually real… 

Edited by Redro

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.