ToNhi

K-1 Fiancee Evidence for Consulate Interview

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi, 

I am currently in the midst of compiling evidence to bring to the future consulate interview and was wondering what the top pieces of evidence are for the Ho Chi Minh City Consulate/Embassy. I know the Consulate Officer usually only has about ~5 minutes to review everything prior to interviewing, and I only included photographs (non-dated) and proof of meeting (scanned passport pages), flight itineraries (2 trips made so far), scanned copies of boarding passes in my I-129F packet, and plan to bring more evidence to the future interview. I also plan to make one more trip sometime by the end of this year/Tet next year before the interview. 

We had a Dinh Hon (engagement party) so I think I will bring loose photos of that, we traveled to Thailand after our Dinh Hon/Engagement (tour package itinerary), and we have a TON of chat messages and call logs with one another on Facebook Messenger and on Zalo (Vietnamese messaging app). I'm Vietnamese-American and my Fiancee doesn't speak a lick of English, so will she have a hard time with the CO? If our messages to one another are primary in Vietnamese, should I also provide English Translations as well (not sure if they would need to be certified translations). I am not entirely sure what other proofs of relationship will be good to bring along to the future interview. 

Thank you so much! 

- Tony 

K-1 Journey:

I-129F Sent: December 04, 2023 

I-129F Received: December 07, 2023 

I-129F NOA1: December 11, 2023 

I-129F NOA2: April 18, 2024
Case Sent to NVC: April 19, 2024 

NVC Case # Assigned: May 7, 2024

Case Left NVC: May 21, 2024 

Consulate Received: May 23, 2024 

Packet 3 Received: June 2, 2024 

Packet 3 Sent: June 3, 2024 

Timeline

Bro you good.  Kind of overkill LOL.  I submitted basically the same evidence as you.  If you show up with your fiance for the interview, it's practically a lock going by what you have said.

During the super short interview, they asked my fiance one question...what was my job.  I don't even think they asked me anything at all.

Also, they "interviewed" my fiance alone...I was told to have a seat nearby in the waiting area in front of the booths.  After like a min she gave me a thumbs up and I went up to the booth and said thanks and we left.

Edited by Hoa Nguyen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, ToNhi said:

Hi, 

I am currently in the midst of compiling evidence to bring to the future consulate interview and was wondering what the top pieces of evidence are for the Ho Chi Minh City Consulate/Embassy. I know the Consulate Officer usually only has about ~5 minutes to review everything prior to interviewing, and I only included photographs (non-dated) and proof of meeting (scanned passport pages), flight itineraries (2 trips made so far), scanned copies of boarding passes in my I-129F packet, and plan to bring more evidence to the future interview. I also plan to make one more trip sometime by the end of this year/Tet next year before the interview. 

We had a Dinh Hon (engagement party) so I think I will bring loose photos of that, we traveled to Thailand after our Dinh Hon/Engagement (tour package itinerary), and we have a TON of chat messages and call logs with one another on Facebook Messenger and on Zalo (Vietnamese messaging app). I'm Vietnamese-American and my Fiancee doesn't speak a lick of English, so will she have a hard time with the CO? If our messages to one another are primary in Vietnamese, should I also provide English Translations as well (not sure if they would need to be certified translations). I am not entirely sure what other proofs of relationship will be good to bring along to the future interview. 

Thank you so much! 

- Tony 

You may already be considered married in the view of the embassy rendering the k1 void. Not sure of this particular embassy but others have considered an engagement party as already married. 

Timeline

If I remember correctly, you said earlier that you front loaded you application.  You'll want to bring new letters of intent for each of you to the interview.  Prepare a "family tree" as some couples are asked for it including a VJ member fairly recently in this forum.  We provided one that included grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents, and siblings with birth and death dates, addresses, and phone numbers.  When we applied (2017) and interviewed (2018) there were several VJ members in the Vietnam forum who had difficulty and received blue slips, home visits, and extended administrative processing.  We corresponded with many of them and even though they had a difficult time getting their K1 or CR1 in Vietnam, everyone we talked to at that time eventually got approved.

When I attended the interview with my fiance, we brought a LOT of paper in two 6 inch, clear folders that included emails, receipts, chat logs, photos, travel itineraries, airline tickets, etc. for the time between our application and interview. I had no expectation that anyone wanted to see it.  We brought that paper to give the appearance that we were ready to provide them with anything they could possibly ask for.  The evening after the interview, we shredded it all at our hotel's business center.  Don't bother with the translation of your chats.  If they really want to read them, they have the expertise nearby to read them in Vietnamese.

I found that some of the best advice came from the HCM City consulate reviews.  I can only share my experience from 2017-18, but you will get the most up-to-date advice and recommendations from these reviews -

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Vietnam&page=1&dfilter=5&topic=

Jason

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 4/5/2024 at 12:48 PM, wildbug100420 said:

You may already be considered married in the view of the embassy rendering the k1 void. Not sure of this particular embassy but others have considered an engagement party as already married. 

In Vietnam culture, engagement party or " Dinh Hon" is not married. The party is simple that family on both side have a small chats, introduce, and agree for their son/daughter can go further with the relationship. 

Timeline

@JasonGG Thank you, Jason! I have seen some blue slip denials asking beneficiaries for a list of all relatives in the U.S. If she has none, what type of evidence would need to be submitted for this? I can't think of anything else besides the Ho Khau (household registration book) and the "Family Tree". By home visits, did C.O.s actually go to the beneficiarie's actual home to check on something? Seems like a hassle. Especially if the Beneficiary lives far away from HCMC Embassy. 

K-1 Journey:

Timeline

Tonhi,

this is my experience:   just on Dec-11-2023 we have an interview , they asked general questions, Name. DOB. what you both do..ect..

they didn't ask for anything that you are bring the interview. got a blue slip asked for family Tree and Timeline of your relationship.

we submitted all and 4-days later got a new letter that we are in AP. no further docs required. it's now almost 4-months I sent an inquiry on March-4 and got an email back from them on March-28 said: the case is still under AP. they will let us know the outcome when it available. DO NOT need to contact them anymore. ( another word just shut up and wait stop asking )

My thought after this: they already have your case approved before you get there, if you have upload everything with your application from the beginning then you should be good. again every case is not the same, I know someone just asked 5-questions and got approved. Just go to the interview and hope for the best. there is no way anyone known what the officer looking at.

wishing you the best of luck. 

oh BTW don't worry they are not go to anyone house to check with K-1 case ( CR-1 yes one person that I know )

Timeline

@TD6886 Hi, by uploading everything, do you mean online during the DS-160 Visa Application? Or is there a way to upload things onto the I-129F USCIS application. Thank you! 

K-1 Journey:

Timeline
6 hours ago, ToNhi said:

@TD6886 Hi, by uploading everything, do you mean online during the DS-160 Visa Application? Or is there a way to upload things onto the I-129F USCIS application. Thank you! 

I mean when you submit the I-129F. there is no way upload anything after that. you will have a chance upload after the interview ( that mean you got a blue slip ). Good luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

@TD6886 It's been almost 5 months now for you after the interview. Did you frontload your petition with Relationship Evidence and a Family Tree or at least brought it to the interview but they refused to look at it? I did not frontload my petition and I am currently at NVC stage and have been stressing out. 

K-1 Journey:

Timeline
5 hours ago, ToNhi said:

@TD6886 It's been almost 5 months now for you after the interview. Did you frontload your petition with Relationship Evidence and a Family Tree or at least brought it to the interview but they refused to look at it? I did not frontload my petition and I am currently at NVC stage and have been stressing out. 

Every case is not the same. have you both ever marry before? there are so many things/details you just have to get ready and go into the interviews with all the evidence that you have and hope for the best. about the R.E. and F.tree you should have it fill out and bring it with you.

It would be best if you can go with her to the interview I think it will help a lot. best of luck

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello, we just received Packet 3 and my Fiancee and I are stressing out (we had no idea it'd be this fast). Besides updated letters of intent to marry, Relationship/Family tree, Ho Khau family book (not sure if this still exists), and a detailed Chronological/Relationship Timeline and evidence of on-going relationship (chat logs, gifts, money order slips), are there any other evidences we are missing? Those seem to be the most common blue slip denial reasons. 

Also, for the Family Tree should we also include both deceased and living members? Nhi does not remember most of her family's birthdates and names. Most people in Vietnam put 12/31/Year as their birthdate and death date since recordkeeping for older relatives is difficult. 

K-1 Journey:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ToNhi said:

Hello, we just received Packet 3 and my Fiancee and I are stressing out (we had no idea it'd be this fast). Besides updated letters of intent to marry, Relationship/Family tree, Ho Khau family book (not sure if this still exists), and a detailed Chronological/Relationship Timeline and evidence of on-going relationship (chat logs, gifts, money order slips), are there any other evidences we are missing? 

Dude, you are good.  Stop stressing about this.  If you go into an interview as crazy tense as you seem here you might fail.  Show a little confidence instead of abject fear.  Just relax.  My wife was stressed about it - I understand it's a Vietnamese thing to always think the worst - but it's not that bad when you get there.  You have what you need.  Just relax and answer the handful of questions you will get.  Five minutes later you will wonder what you were all worked up about.

Edited by Stein

• 2 months later...

I hope your interview went well! It sounds like you've put a lot of thought and effort into preparing, which is great. The key is to stay calm and confident. You've got solid evidence, and being there for the interview will definitely help.

Anyway, found these guides that might help anyone preparing for an interview in Vietnam https://vn.usembassy.gov/preparing-for-your-interview/ and this https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-vietnam-statistics-2024-your-all-in-one-travel-guide-5696 that could be handy before you go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.