mwangen

Confused about next process on I-130

33 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You could refile the i 130s

It would cost more though, and could take longer (depending on if the OP gets lucky with the service centre for the I-824 or not). 

If money isn’t a consideration then could both be filed perhaps? And see which gets to NVC first? 

Edited by appleblossom

4 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

It would cost more though, and could take longer (depending on if the OP gets lucky with the service centre for the I-824 or not). 

If money isn’t a consideration then could both be filed perhaps? And see which gets to NVC first? 

I think I will go to the I-824 route. The plan is to actually bring my parents here next year, so they can spend more time with relatives there. I am just hopeful that the I-824 will end up in a desirable service center, so they can actually be here next year. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, mwangen said:

I did file online.

I think every I 824 I have seen has been due to online failure.

I tend to wonder if this was done wrong are there other mistakes?

Obviously you do you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, mwangen said:

I think I will go to the I-824 route. The plan is to actually bring my parents here next year, so they can spend more time with relatives there. I am just hopeful that the I-824 will end up in a desirable service center, so they can actually be here next year. 

Which consulate is it? Next year is doable assuming it’s not one with a long wait for an interview date (Lagos, Islamabad, etc). 

10 hours ago, mwangen said:

It is Manila, Philippines consulate

Obviously nobody knows what the queue for an interview will be like in a year or so, but I think Manila is fairly good at the moment - a search of the country sub forum will give you more info though. 

Best of luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

PI has a big backlog

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

Obviously nobody knows what the queue for an interview will be like in a year or so, but I think Manila is fairly good at the moment - a search of the country sub forum will give you more info though. 

Best of luck.

I am sending my I-824s today. Regarding what SC the forms get sent to, is that random or depending on where I live? 

14 hours ago, mwangen said:

Fortunately, my mom’s I-130 got approved today. Now, after I get the approval notice in the mail, I want to do the next step - which I understand is the NVC since they are outside of the US. 

Wait to file moms I-824 until you have the approval in hand. You need to make sure it also says an I-824 is required. ..

3 minutes ago, Family said:

Wait to file moms I-824 until you have the approval in hand. You need to make sure it also says an I-824 is required. ..

Yes, they both do. I double checked the forms I sent (I filed online) and both of them are incorrect when it comes to items 61-62. Absolutely my fault. 

I filed online, so I have the copies of the I-797 already. 

Regarding my service center question, I was wondering how they determine which service center cases go to. Do they base it on where we live or random?

I know to send the forms themselves to the USCIS lockbox in Phoenix. 

9 minutes ago, Family said:

They shift workloads to service centers as they see fit…so you won’t know where it lands . Things seem to be looking up so let’s hope speedy resolution coming your way 

Thank you. I appreciate this. I still can’t believe I made this mistake, but I am just trying to rationalize thinking that everything happens for a reason. 

thank you again! 

3 hours ago, mwangen said:

I am sending my I-824s today. Regarding what SC the forms get sent to, is that random or depending on where I live? 

It's random AFAIK. And sorry for the duff info on the wait time for an interview at Manila, I didn't think it was a long wait but @Boiler knows more than me. Hope the backlog reduces a bit by the time your I-824 is processed anyway. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.