Fiance1

K1 VISA Medical Expiration & Adjustment of Status

10 posts in this topic

I can't seem to find a clear answer online. My fiancee had to do a sputum test at SLEC in MANILA as part of her medical before she got her K1 VISA. She got her results back and was negative for TB. We are wondering if the expiration on on her sputum report means we will have to redo the medical here in USA if we do not file adjustment of status before June 13th. Does anyone know?

image.png.19d39cb2b910624c778443dc312ddb39.png

I think I found the answer to my own question. I don't believe the above SLEC form expiration date is needed for adjustment of status. There is a separate I-693 form (Report of Immigration Medical Examination and Vaccination Record) which may only be required if requested, and is often not even needed. Also if it is needed, it isn't required to be completed prior to submitting the I-485. It can be completed after submitting the I-485. Hope this helps anyone who might have the same or similar question.

*** Topic moved from K1 forum to AOS K1 forum as this is regarding adjustment as a K1 ***

11 hours ago, OldUser said:

@Fiance1 did you fiance complete DS-3025? If the exam was marked completed , then you can send a copy with AOS and no I-693 is needed. If DS-3025 was not checked completed, then yes new exam is needed.

@Fiance1 follow this advice.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, OldUser said:

@Fiance1 did you fiance complete DS-3025? If the exam was marked completed , then you can send a copy with AOS and no I-693 is needed. If DS-3025 was not checked completed, then yes new exam is needed.

Thanks for the suggestion! I never heard of the DS-3025, but I will ask my fiancee if she has it already. In the event she does not, we still have time for her to get it filled out before she comes here. I tried to search the USCIS website for it but I can't seem to find it. Google does show unofficial sources to download the DS-3025 but I am concerned it might not be the correct or official version, so I'd rather get it from an official government source such as USCIS. Does anyone know where I can find it from an official source?

image.thumb.png.8efb63731852948d812b71ca369f3fdd.png

Edited by Fiance1

1 hour ago, Fiance1 said:

Does anyone know where I can find it from an official source?

It is filled out by the panel physician at the medical exam abroad and a copy is given to the beneficiary. If it is marked complete then I-693 is not needed. The original is in the envelope the beneficiary brings with them to the POE and hands to CBP.

7 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

It is filled out by the panel physician at the medical exam abroad and a copy is given to the beneficiary. If it is marked complete then I-693 is not needed. The original is in the envelope the beneficiary brings with them to the POE and hands to CBP.

Oh!! Is that what is inside the envelope she was told she cannot open?

Just to clarify: it is not necessary for AOS that you have and include a copy of DS-3025. It is not required as evidence.

One reason to have it, like mentioned in posts above, is so you can review the DS-3025 yourself and see if it has been marked as completed or not.

People also include it in the AOS application as a subtle reminder for the adjucating officer that an abroad medical has been performed.

However, USCIS should have gotten the originals from CBP (after they themselves took it from visa holder at port of entry). Your copy is not a deciding factor evidence-wise.

In fact, if the package from CBP was not sent or lost, USCIS won't take your copy of DS-3025 as evidence. You will still need to repeat medical inside US through Civil Surgeon and form i-693.

In short, you only need to re-do medical in US if:

1. your DS-3025 wasn't marked as complete, which means you must do the vaccination portions of i-693 at a Civil Surgeon in the US for AOS
  2. OR if your entire medical was somehow lost between CBP and USCIS. In that case, USCIS will ask you to repeat the entire medical at a Civil Surgeon (form i-693), because they do not have the original results of your medical abroad.
  3. OR LASTLY if you file AOS more than a year after your medical exam abroad, then the validity has expired for AOS excemption purposes, and you must repeat an entire medical exam.

If you do not have your DS-3025, just add a statement in the file that you've completed a medical abroad. That serves fine as a subtle reminder too, really. If they have received your medical results, and process correctly, you will find out whether your DS-3025 was marked as complete or not. If it's complete, there will be no RFE. If it is not complete, you get an RFE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.