1,650 posts in this topic

Please help vawa approved Feb 2020, they hold my i485 from 2020 and they sent me medical rfe April 2024 and received may 2024. Yesterday I got 2 emails, first one said” decision: interview canceled and they mailed the info and 30 min later I got another email saying that “ my case is ready to schedule an interview. Did anyone have that experience! Please help 

IMG_5162.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

1 minute ago, Dreamer7 said:

Please help vawa approved Feb 2020, they hold my i485 from 2020 and they sent me medical rfe April 2024 and received may 2024. Yesterday I got 2 emails, first one said” decision: interview canceled and they mailed the info and 30 min later I got another email saying that “ my case is ready to schedule an interview. Did anyone have that experience! Please help 

IMG_5162.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

You have to wait for a physical letter to see what actually happened. It could be one or the other. Either you're already approved or need an interview.

Just now, Dreamer7 said:

Does it matter which email came first?

Maybe.

But in my case, for example, I got emails / notifications about card being produced first, and only after about case being approved. Which should be the other way round. Many see similar stuff.

Just now, OldUser said:

Maybe.

But in my case, for example, I got emails / notifications about card being produced first, and only after about case being approved. Which should be the other way round. Many see similar stuff.

l hope it’s over… I hope I will get the letter soon.. they might approve? Cuz when I look at the case status it says case is ready to schedule Interview. 

4 minutes ago, Dreamer7 said:

l hope it’s over… I hope I will get the letter soon.. they might approve? Cuz when I look at the case status it says case is ready to schedule Interview. 

Then you're likely waiting for interview. They could have tried scheduling it, and then cancelled due to availability or something and put your case back on hold.

5 hours ago, Dreamer7 said:

Does it matter which email came first?

I wouldn't really put too much weight on the order they arrived in. Emails can be weird, I've definitely had emails come in wrong order previously. Same as I've had emails somehow get stuck and arrive a few days later.

Check what it says on uscis.gov for the case status. It could be that they scheduled an interview, looked it over again, and decided that you don't need one or they put some invalid day in (e.g. on a holiday) and cancelled it.

51 minutes ago, BollyB1 said:

Hi everyone, waiting to see the actual notice but how do you know when they request for medicals? Is it Request for Initial Evidence? on the I485. I’ve got an approved VAWA. Did medicals last month but was waiting. 

It is usually a request for initial evidence since technically it is something that should've been submitted with the I-485.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

51 minutes ago, Demise said:

I wouldn't really put too much weight on the order they arrived in. Emails can be weird, I've definitely had emails come in wrong order previously. Same as I've had emails somehow get stuck and arrive a few days later.

Check what it says on uscis.gov for the case status. It could be that they scheduled an interview, looked it over again, and decided that you don't need one or they put some invalid day in (e.g. on a holiday) and cancelled it.

It is usually a request for initial evidence since technically it is something that should've been submitted with the I-485.

Hi demise, do You think there is a chance for approval? “ case is ready to schedule an interview “ that’s what USCIS website says, that means i will

have to wait months to do interview?

Edited by Dreamer7
A

Hello guys. My i485 was denied because my lawyer didn’t properly submitted i601 waiver. We filed i290b motion to reconsider and received RFE of i601 waiver again. This time we file i601 waiver with the right office.

i was expecting myi485 to be approved since we gave them i601 waiver they asked for. Now received that my case was sent to AAO office. I’m just exhausted with this case and don’t know what to do

«

Type of service requested:

-- Outside Normal Processing Times

The status of this service request is:

Thank you for your inquiry, dated September 23, 2024, regarding your Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion, filed after the denial of Form 1-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or

Adjust Status.

We have confirmed that the appeal is currently pending adjudication with the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO). The AAO received the appeal on Form

1-290B on April 27, 2023. The AAO strives to complete its appellate review within 180 days from the time it receives a complete case record after the initial field review. Some cases may take longer than 180 days due to factors beyond the AAOs control.

For example, additional documentation may be needed to complete the record, or the case may be more complex and require additional review. Be assured the AAO will adjudicate the appeal as quickly as possible giving the case full and fair consideration, consistent with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations. Once a decision is made, you will be notified.»

20 hours ago, BollyB1 said:

Hi everyone, waiting to see the actual notice but how do you know when they request for medicals? Is it Request for Initial Evidence? on the I485. I’ve got an approved VAWA. Did medicals last month but was waiting. 

It depends. For some people it is Request for Initial Evidence and personally for me it was Request for initial and additional evidence. 

So not worry about it. 

20 hours ago, Dreamer7 said:

Hi demise, do You think there is a chance for approval? “ case is ready to schedule an interview “ that’s what USCIS website says, that means i will

have to wait months to do interview?

If I were to guess they decided that you need an interview, scheduled it, and then caught themselves for some reason.

My guess is that the reason for this is because you transferred the underlying basis for the I-485, it was filled out for an I-130, but you are adjusting via an I-360, so plenty of answers on it are just no longer accurate. USCIS doesn't RFE for amended forms (outside of I-864s and I-693s) as far as I know so the only option for them to fix it is summon you for an interview, do the corrections on the spot, and have you sign for them.

Then there might be other things they wish to question you over like an EWI, prior removal proceedings, arrests, or convictions.

It might also be just plain old bad luck or your case being crazy enough that it makes good training material. When I had my interview the office was empty aside like 2 others who I gather were an asylum case and a marriage case. My own was a VAWA adjustment, after an EWI, after terminating messy removal proceedings (EWI, detained on entry, bailed out, ordered removed in-absentia, reopened, admin closed, recalendared, terminated). There were two trainees present during mine. So I guess I was summoned specifically because I was good training material.

When they schedule you really depends on the office in question. If it's somewhere busy like NYC then yeah you'll be waiting for a while. If it's somewhere less busy (like, lets say Boise, ID) then it might be a few weeks out, my own (Minneapolis, MN) was pretty quick.

So what can you do? Not much. You can try to maybe preempt the whole I-485 correction process by taking an I-485, filling it out as it stands currently for adjustment on I-360, write AMENDED on top of the first page, include an I-864W if you haven't already, provide documents for anything bad that's new like arrests or convictions, date and sign. Write a cover letter explaining that you are providing an amended I-485 due to a change of underlying basis, other possible factors like a divorce, and just passage of time. Mail that to the field office and who knows, maybe it'll be enough for them to just skip the interview and approve you.

Otherwise it is just hurry up and wait.

Yeah I know, it sucks, when I filed mine I was checking the status almost daily unless I knew the case literally can't move. So checking daily between submission and RFE for medicals, checking daily between when I sent in the RFE and when I got called in for an interview, and then checking daily between the interview and when the green card finally was mailed  (bonus points that I was in the middle closing on a house and moving at the time, the day it was scheduled to arrive I took off from work, went to the old apartment, and would check the tracker between packing and moving down all the remaining stuff, all in all my 7 seater SUV was barely legal to drive, back is completely full, can't see out the rear view mirror, I can barely see out the right one because there's an AC unit in the passenger seat). So yeah, it is anxiety inducing but the relief when it's all done is just incredible.

5 hours ago, Demise said:

If I were to guess they decided that you need an interview, scheduled it, and then caught themselves for some reason.

My guess is that the reason for this is because you transferred the underlying basis for the I-485, it was filled out for an I-130, but you are adjusting via an I-360, so plenty of answers on it are just no longer accurate. USCIS doesn't RFE for amended forms (outside of I-864s and I-693s) as far as I know so the only option for them to fix it is summon you for an interview, do the corrections on the spot, and have you sign for them.

Then there might be other things they wish to question you over like an EWI, prior removal proceedings, arrests, or convictions.

It might also be just plain old bad luck or your case being crazy enough that it makes good training material. When I had my interview the office was empty aside like 2 others who I gather were an asylum case and a marriage case. My own was a VAWA adjustment, after an EWI, after terminating messy removal proceedings (EWI, detained on entry, bailed out, ordered removed in-absentia, reopened, admin closed, recalendared, terminated). There were two trainees present during mine. So I guess I was summoned specifically because I was good training material.

When they schedule you really depends on the office in question. If it's somewhere busy like NYC then yeah you'll be waiting for a while. If it's somewhere less busy (like, lets say Boise, ID) then it might be a few weeks out, my own (Minneapolis, MN) was pretty quick.

So what can you do? Not much. You can try to maybe preempt the whole I-485 correction process by taking an I-485, filling it out as it stands currently for adjustment on I-360, write AMENDED on top of the first page, include an I-864W if you haven't already, provide documents for anything bad that's new like arrests or convictions, date and sign. Write a cover letter explaining that you are providing an amended I-485 due to a change of underlying basis, other possible factors like a divorce, and just passage of time. Mail that to the field office and who knows, maybe it'll be enough for them to just skip the interview and approve you.

Otherwise it is just hurry up and wait.

Yeah I know, it sucks, when I filed mine I was checking the status almost daily unless I knew the case literally can't move. So checking daily between submission and RFE for medicals, checking daily between when I sent in the RFE and when I got called in for an interview, and then checking daily between the interview and when the green card finally was mailed  (bonus points that I was in the middle closing on a house and moving at the time, the day it was scheduled to arrive I took off from work, went to the old apartment, and would check the tracker between packing and moving down all the remaining stuff, all in all my 7 seater SUV was barely legal to drive, back is completely full, can't see out the rear view mirror, I can barely see out the right one because there's an AC unit in the passenger seat). So yeah, it is anxiety inducing but the relief when it's all done is just incredible.

Wow your case was definitely a case study for them. Glad that the ending was good. Kudos. Do you mind how long it took for you to get the GC? Just total time would suffice. 

33 minutes ago, Meingandu said:

Wow your case was definitely a case study for them. Glad that the ending was good. Kudos. Do you mind how long it took for you to get the GC? Just total time would suffice. 

The depends where you count from.

Entry? A smidge under 20 years.

From I-360 filling? A bit under 6 years (though that was on me since I didn't want to deal with courts for a while, Trump's former AG made getting a termination next to impossible).

From I-485 filing? Around 1 year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sunday -- time for our approval-evoking*, positive-news-prompting* Official Weekly VAWA-Thread Joke:

*that is, if correlation = causation

==============================================================

GOD IS WATCHING

The children in a Catholic primary school were lined up in the cafeteria for lunch.

At the head of the table was a large pile of apples.  The nun made a note, and posted it on the apple tray: "Take only one.  God is watching."

Farther along the lunch line, at the other end of the table, was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies.  One child whispered to another, "Hey, we can take all we want.  God is watching the apples."

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.