1,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

(1) It is Sunday, (2) we need good news and approvals, and (3) toward that end, here's our Official Weekly VAWA-Thread Joke*:

*guaranteed to bring good news and approvals, if correlation = causation

==============================================

THE TEST AT THE PEARLY GATES

A woman found herself standing at the Pearly Gates.  St. Peter greeted her and said, "These are the Gates to Heaven, my dear.  But you must do one more thing before you can enter."

The woman was very excited, and asked St. Peter what she must do.

"Spell a word," St. Peter replied.

"What word?" she asked.

"Any word," answered St. Peter.  "It's your choice."

The woman promptly replied, "Then the word I will spell is love.  L-O-V-E."

St. Peter welcomed her in, and asked her if she would mind taking his place at the Pearly Gates for a few minutes while he took a break.  The woman was left sitting in St. Peter's chair when a man approached, and she realized that it was her husband.

"What happened?" she cried.  "Why are you here?"

Her husband stared at her for a moment, then said, "I was so upset when I left your funeral that I got in an accident.  Did I really make it to Heaven?"

"Not yet," she replied.  "You must spell a word first."

"What word?" he asked.

"Czechoslovakia."

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My VAWA was approved and I got a new work authorization card in the mail. However, I did not receive my approval notice. My status now shows Notice Was Returned To USCIS Because The Post Office Could Not Deliver It. Surprised because they were able to deliver the card. Please what can i do ?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
53 minutes ago, ajango said:

My VAWA was approved and I got a new work authorization card in the mail. However, I did not receive my approval notice. My status now shows Notice Was Returned To USCIS Because The Post Office Could Not Deliver It. Surprised because they were able to deliver the card. Please what can i do ?

UPDATE: I called USCIS and they asked me to file FORM I-864. Thanks all

On 8/8/2024 at 3:26 PM, Shroy123 said:

if the marriage is terminated means annulled, you are not eligible for VAWA case. If marriage got annulled after vawa, they might reconsider open your vawa case. Anyone, please confirm if I am wrong?

Annulled means the marriage never happened. 
It will most definitely impact the application. 

now if a GC has already been issued then it’s a whole different ball game and an attorney can answer that. 

3 hours ago, ajango said:

Request notice here: https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayNDNForm.do?sroPageType=ndn&entryPoint=init

But before you do that, I'd go to USPS office serving your address and ask whether they have the mail. There's possibility they still may have it. Also, check with them why they couldn't deliver and ask to deliver if they see a mail like this again.

4 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Request notice here: https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayNDNForm.do?sroPageType=ndn&entryPoint=init

But before you do that, I'd go to USPS office serving your address and ask whether they have the mail. There's possibility they still may have it. Also, check with them why they couldn't deliver and ask to deliver if they see a mail like this again.

Been there done that. USPS always does that and misses to deliver. I had similar case and went to the main usps processing facility they will send it back to the sender. Unless they left a yellow sticker/ticket to come in and pick it up. And if the uscis updated on their portal then it’s a done deal. 

21 minutes ago, Meingandu said:

Been there done that. USPS always does that and misses to deliver. I had similar case and went to the main usps processing facility they will send it back to the sender. Unless they left a yellow sticker/ticket to come in and pick it up. And if the uscis updated on their portal then it’s a done deal. 

Well, I'd do something proactive about it. Write a complaint or something. Unless you want to deal with it again in the future. In any case, I provided some suggestions and link. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It is Wednesday already -- and, to prompt approvals and positive progress (that is, if correlation = causation), here's our Semiofficial Semiweekly VAWA-Thread Joke:

==============================================================
I SUPPOSE THERE'S A PROBLEM

A man went to the doctor, who diagnosed him as having hemorrhoids.  The doctor prescribed him a suppository and told him to use up to two daily, as needed, until the problem subsided.

The man had never used suppositories before, so he used them like he would any other pill -- he swallowed them.  They were a bit big, but he managed.

A few weeks later, the man called the doctor and asked for a refill.  The surprised doctor asked, "Ran out?  What are you doing -- eating them?"

The man answered sarcastically, "No, Doc -- I'm sticking them up my butt."

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

7 hours ago, God is a good God said:

Does it mean if you enter the US 10 years ago and you are issued your green card today you can file citizenship right away? In this case your entry date was 10 years ago

No.

If you read the full answer by @Demise , this is for scenario when somebody enters the US on immigrant visa such as CR1 / IR1 and receives GC by mail later.

In this case, Resident Since on GC and date of entry on immigration visa are the same.

In other cases, these may be different.

3 years of being a LPR is the requirement.

Also, for example, if one got GC in 2 weeks after entering on immigration visa, left the US immediately and spent 4 months overseas... They should start counting residency since they're back from that trip. Otherwise USCIS may say they were not residing in the US wheb they got GC.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
14 hours ago, God is a good God said:

Does it mean if you enter the US 10 years ago and you are issued your green card today you can file citizenship right away? In this case your entry date was 10 years ago

Residence since dye is the date your GC was approved. You are not an LPR until I485 is approved. You will receive a 10 year GC. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

23 hours ago, God is a good God said:

No, this was for the specific scenario J2020 asked about. They're doing immigrant visa processing (left US, filed I-360 from abroad, were approved while abroad, do DS-260 rather than I-485, get an IB1 visa, come back to US). In this case the resident since date is when they return to US on the IB1 immigrant visa.

For those of us who are/did I-485 in US the resident since date is the date the I-485 is approved.

There are some uncommon scenarios where the resident since date is backdated but none of them apply for VAWA cases. So no, nobody doing VAWA can have it backdated to some other date in the past.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.