1,635 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Salyyen said:

I was with my lawyer today and she was like maybe rejecting you and sending you rfe because of your race and you are man 

There's definitely bias towards men and especially men from certain countries. They generally require more proof, so WAVA case needs to be super strong.

17 minutes ago, OldUser said:

There's definitely bias towards men and especially men from certain countries. They generally require more proof, so WAVA case needs to be super strong.

So if I have a lot of evidence like the other mentioned! 

I should be fine ? I have everything they require 

14 hours ago, Salyyen said:

Hey family please I need an idea or help ! 

I had bad experience with my old lawyer now I have a new one !  

my sec rfe was asking about the letter from my therapist wasn’t an evaluation! 
And the officer needed more details! About it 

Now I have a real evaluation now 

I have a pic of physical abuse and a statement by me 

I have a police report ( calls and text harassment ) 

I have good morals as well from friends and co worker ! 

and I have threat text and calls as well screen shot ! 

I was with my lawyer today and she was like maybe rejecting you and sending you rfe because of your race and you are man 

I just wanna make sure if I have a good lawyer and evidence is good ! Or the lawyer is right because of my race Cuse she said I should be approved 

Absolutely rubbish statement by your attorney. I am a male petitioner already got my citizenship through vawa. You got a good case submit RFE and get your vawa approval within 3 months 👍🏻😀  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

We seemed to have our best string of approvals when our Official Weekly VAWA-Thread Joke was about today's topic -- blondes!

===============================================

TWO BLONDES AND THE CAR

Two blondes were driving down the road.  The driver noticed that she was low on gas, so she stopped at a gas station.  While she was pumping her gas, she noticed that she had locked her keys in the car.

When she went inside to pay, the blonde asked the attendant for a coat hanger so that she could attempt to open the door herself.  She went outside and began to jimmy the lock.

Ten minutes later, the attendant went outside to see how the blonde was faring.

The blonde outside of the car was moving the hanger around and around.  Meanwhile, the blonde inside of the car was saying, "A little more to the left... a little more to the right... "
:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
7 hours ago, Priya25 said:

I-485 "Case was Approved"

Yee-HAAAAA!  :dance: 

[Note to T-B.'s self:  Jokes worked again... jokes worked again... :P ]

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I have been following this group to get information about vawa. Today, I am excited to inform everyone that I got my vawa approved last week Friday.

Here is my timeline:

May 2021: Vawa filled

August 2021: I485, Ead

March 2022: Ead approved

Dec2023: Made a request for case expadite

March 2024: Uscis officer responded that there is a background check going on my case. Should contact them in another six months if no response is received.

June 2024: Vawa Approved (No rfe)

I am based in Dallas Texas, can someone enlighten me on how long it will take to process my I485 and what is the timeline like to get the I485 approved.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Slyfaux said:

my vawa approved last week Friday

Welcome to the forum.

Yee-HAAAAA!  :dance: 

[Note to T-B.'s self:  Blonde joke worked again... blonde joke worked again.  :P ]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Dear friends, my VAWA  got approved in 2020 and I got my green card in 2021 then based on three year rule since I am a spouse of US citizen I applied for US citizen Unfortunately, it was a really bad experience. The officer who is interviewing me is very rude and the first question he asked is your spouse US citizen and I said yes he asked me to show his passport or US citizenship certificate i informed  that the proof I have is drivers license, Social Security, and the voter  information of the abuser  and based on these the VAWA  unit has already verified his citizenship status and approved my VAWA  and that’s why I got my green card but the officer. Don’t want to listen. He is keep insisting me to prove the citizenship status of the abuser.then latter on he issued the RFE to either send the abuser passport copy or citizenship certificate I applied for FOIA but the USCIS refuse to give the citizenship certificate of the abuser now my question is how to respond this RFE need some suggestions.I have only 10 days to respond this RFE

11 hours ago, Braveheart123 said:

Dear friends, my VAWA  got approved in 2020 and I got my green card in 2021 then based on three year rule since I am a spouse of US citizen I applied for US citizen Unfortunately, it was a really bad experience. The officer who is interviewing me is very rude and the first question he asked is your spouse US citizen and I said yes he asked me to show his passport or US citizenship certificate i informed  that the proof I have is drivers license, Social Security, and the voter  information of the abuser  and based on these the VAWA  unit has already verified his citizenship status and approved my VAWA  and that’s why I got my green card but the officer. Don’t want to listen. He is keep insisting me to prove the citizenship status of the abuser.then latter on he issued the RFE to either send the abuser passport copy or citizenship certificate I applied for FOIA but the USCIS refuse to give the citizenship certificate of the abuser now my question is how to respond this RFE need some suggestions.I have only 10 days to respond this RFE

I checked few things and below are my findings:

1. only citizen can vote but in some areas in local elections non citizen can vote as well. (not sure if that is why its not considered as proof)
2. What are 3 acceptable forms for proof of U.S. citizenship?

(1) A U.S. passport, including a U.S. Passport Card issued by the Department of State, without regard to any expiration date as long as such passport or Card was issued without limitation. (2) A Certificate of Naturalization. (3) A Certificate of U.S. Citizenship.

looks like that is why they are asking you these docs.
Was your ex a citizen at the time of marriage or he got naturalized later?
obviously the officer is not very cooperative and if there is no way you can find these data, I will say respond to the rfe and explain them why you do not have those details and if you can't get naturalized now you will try at 5 yr rule as you have very less time. Also see if you can check with any lawyer.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Priya25 said:

I checked few things and below are my findings:

1. only citizen can vote but in some areas in local elections non citizen can vote as well. (not sure if that is why its not considered as proof)
2. What are 3 acceptable forms for proof of U.S. citizenship?

(1) A U.S. passport, including a U.S. Passport Card issued by the Department of State, without regard to any expiration date as long as such passport or Card was issued without limitation. (2) A Certificate of Naturalization. (3) A Certificate of U.S. Citizenship.

looks like that is why they are asking you these docs.
Was your ex a citizen at the time of marriage or he got naturalized later?
obviously the officer is not very cooperative and if there is no way you can find these data, I will say respond to the rfe and explain them why you do not have those details and if you can't get naturalized now you will try at 5 yr rule as you have very less time. Also see if you can check with any lawyer.

The citizenship status is the first thing that the VAWA unit verified and that what they issued prima facie moreover as per the book and rules if you are a victim of abuse the VAWA unit will verify the things through other means if they will check the record but now this RFE is very weird and if the n-400 didn’t go through what happen to the green card 

On 6/25/2024 at 12:33 AM, Braveheart123 said:

Only response you can give to the RFE is to explain that the RFE itself is improper and give them page 13 of the N-400 instructions which reads:

NOTE: Evidence of the spouse's U.S. citizenship, marriage to the U.S. citizen, divorce or separation, or marital union is
NOT required if you obtained LPR status as the spouse, former spouse, or intended spouse of a U.S. citizen who subjected
you to battery or extreme cruelty.

What's the category code on your green card? IB1, IB6, B21, B26, BX1, BX6, Z14?

If it's IB1, IB6, or Z14 then you should straight up write that you are requesting managerial review because the reviewing officer is outright wrongly demanding documentation which is not required of you.

If it's B21, B26, BX1, or BX6, then you should write that you are requesting managerial review because you believe that the officer erred in demanding proof of your abusive ex's citizenship from you because:

1. Demanding this proof is contrary to the intent and spirit of VAWA because it essentially locks eligibility for naturalization under the 3 year provision behind documentation belonging to the abusive ex, essentially giving them a veto power over your naturalization,

2. You provided the evidence you were able to obtain: Driver's License, Social Security, and voter information. This information was previously deemed good enough to approve your I-360. Moreover currently only District of Columbia, and municipalities in 3 states (CA, MD, VT) permit noncitizens to vote in local elections, meaning that more likely than not your ex registered to vote following naturalization.

3. USCIS is able to perform immigration status checks in cases that warrant it, and any VAWA cases due to their unique nature where the (ex-)spouse is abusive and thus extremely unlikely to cooperate definitely warrant it.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.