1,668 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Wow! My condolences 💐 regarding the demise of your mother. Your VAWA is from 2018? Some cases for some reason just takes longer than necessary..but you still have to wait it out. Good thing the officer agreed to expedite your travel document. 

One would have to be an insider to determine the outcome of your pending case. Those security/background checks seem to drag on forever but hopefully yours gets resolved soon. 

Keep pressuring them via your congressperson. You may be able to submit anything else that can strengthen your case if you have. But probably that’s not your situation but just in case.. I wish you all the best!🙏

Thanks 

6 minutes ago, K99 said:

Good day all 

I am going to apply N-400 under VAWA 3 years role. Do I need to get The abuser's birth certificate? We've been divorced for a long time.

thank you!

Sure, you need to present proof that he or she is a US citizen.

13 minutes ago, i-need-help-pls said:

Thanks 

Ywc 

4 hours ago, K99 said:

Thank you ! Also what documents need to attached? The kid BC or tax return?

I hope this helps you and anyone else here planning to file without an attorney. Please study carefully.

The categories of proof are: 

1. Applicant’s identity and current status  
  2. Evidence of abuser’s status 
  3. Proof of relationship and good faith marriage 
  4. Residence with abuser and current residence in U.S. 
  5. Good moral character 
  6. Abuse or extreme cruelty 

Documents for Proving Applicant’s Identity and Current Status

• Applicant and children’s birth certificates 

• Applicant and children’s passports, visas to enter the U.S. and I-94 (expired or current) 

• Applicant’s driver’s license 

• Any documentation to or from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Evidence of Abuser’s Status

Proof of Relationship and Good Faith Marriage

Evidence of “residence with abuser” plus:

• Marriage certificates 

• Birth certificates of children together 

• Wedding photos and other photos of spouses together (before and after wedding) 

• Letter from employer stating changed name or listed spouse as contact 

• Photo IDs (with married name) 

• Declarations from friends and neighbors 

• Wills 

• Joint life insurance documents 

• Joint health insurance documents 

• Joint car ownership documentation and joint auto insurance 

• Correspondence between spouses or between abuser & applicant’s family members 

• Correspondence addressed to the couple 

• Proof of vacations taken together 

• Proof of major purchases made together.

Proof of Residence with Abuser and Current Residence in U.S.

• Leases, deeds, mortgages with name (both names if for co-residence), rent receipts, 

• Letters from landlord or neighbors at each address 

• Tax returns (joint for co-residence) 

• Insurance policies naming spouse as beneficiary 

• Letters, cards, junk mail addressed to both spouses or different letters to each spouse at the same address 

• Bills (such as gas, electric, water, cable, telephone, rent) 

• School and medical reports 

• Credit card bills 

• Joint bank accounts 

• Magazine subscriptions in both names 

• Affidavits by people who knew that the applicant and abuser lived together 

• Legal documents with both names.

Proof of Good Moral Character

• Police clearance letters for every place applicant has lived for six months or more for the past three years, or affidavits explaining efforts to obtain such letters; 
  • FBI background check
  • Awards, certificates of appreciation, etc.
  • Letter from pastors, ministers, church or civic club officials.

Documentation of Abuse or Extreme Cruelty

• Police reports (incident reports and victim’s referral card)
  • Restraining orders or protective orders
  • Photos of bruises, cuts, injuries, etc.
  • Shelter or domestic violence center forms or letters from center counselors.
  • Medical records.
  • Physiological evaluations.
  • CPS reports.
  • Affidavits from friends, family, neighbors, or witnesses

16 hours ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

@J2020 Be sure to go through your whole case..some officers try to re-adjudicate (which is not supposed to be) but hey be prepared. Be confident, articulate and polite. Don’t forget your important documents and copies. You got this!👍

Thank you fam! Yes for us that did the interview through consular processing was asked about the whole case, the abuse, and all the details. It’s gonna be tough to go through the abuse again but I’m gonna do my best to stay calm. Appreciate you @Stillwinning!!!😊

15 hours ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

I hope this helps you and anyone else here planning to file without an attorney. Please study carefully.

The categories of proof are: 

1. Applicant’s identity and current status  
  2. Evidence of abuser’s status 
  3. Proof of relationship and good faith marriage 
  4. Residence with abuser and current residence in U.S. 
  5. Good moral character 
  6. Abuse or extreme cruelty 

Documents for Proving Applicant’s Identity and Current Status

• Applicant and children’s birth certificates 

• Applicant and children’s passports, visas to enter the U.S. and I-94 (expired or current) 

• Applicant’s driver’s license 

• Any documentation to or from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Evidence of Abuser’s Status

Proof of Relationship and Good Faith Marriage

Evidence of “residence with abuser” plus:

• Marriage certificates 

• Birth certificates of children together 

• Wedding photos and other photos of spouses together (before and after wedding) 

• Letter from employer stating changed name or listed spouse as contact 

• Photo IDs (with married name) 

• Declarations from friends and neighbors 

• Wills 

• Joint life insurance documents 

• Joint health insurance documents 

• Joint car ownership documentation and joint auto insurance 

• Correspondence between spouses or between abuser & applicant’s family members 

• Correspondence addressed to the couple 

• Proof of vacations taken together 

• Proof of major purchases made together.

Proof of Residence with Abuser and Current Residence in U.S.

• Leases, deeds, mortgages with name (both names if for co-residence), rent receipts, 

• Letters from landlord or neighbors at each address 

• Tax returns (joint for co-residence) 

• Insurance policies naming spouse as beneficiary 

• Letters, cards, junk mail addressed to both spouses or different letters to each spouse at the same address 

• Bills (such as gas, electric, water, cable, telephone, rent) 

• School and medical reports 

• Credit card bills 

• Joint bank accounts 

• Magazine subscriptions in both names 

• Affidavits by people who knew that the applicant and abuser lived together 

• Legal documents with both names.

Proof of Good Moral Character

• Police clearance letters for every place applicant has lived for six months or more for the past three years, or affidavits explaining efforts to obtain such letters; 
  • FBI background check
  • Awards, certificates of appreciation, etc.
  • Letter from pastors, ministers, church or civic club officials.

Documentation of Abuse or Extreme Cruelty

• Police reports (incident reports and victim’s referral card)
  • Restraining orders or protective orders
  • Photos of bruises, cuts, injuries, etc.
  • Shelter or domestic violence center forms or letters from center counselors.
  • Medical records.
  • Physiological evaluations.
  • CPS reports.
  • Affidavits from friends, family, neighbors, or witnesses

Thanks this indeed is detailed info, do we need to provide all this proofs again at the time of naturalization?

4 minutes ago, Priya25 said:

Thanks this indeed is detailed info, do we need to provide all this proofs again at the time of naturalization?

The naturalization interview letter should state important documents to bring. But you should definitely go with your marriage/divorce/birth certificate(s), Bring state-issued identification, Green card, your VAWA documents, tax info, and pretty much any other documents specific to your case.👍

1 hour ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

The naturalization interview letter should state important documents to bring. But you should definitely go with your marriage/divorce/birth certificate(s), Bring state-issued identification, Green card, your VAWA documents, tax info, and pretty much any other documents specific to your case.👍

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Can some one guide me that what is the ways to get the citizenship proof of the abuser if she is naturalized beside the FOIA to USCIS or voter registration because both these ways are not working for me what else method can be used.

Timeline

Dear freinds once your VAWA approved even if your abuser suppose passed away or lost his citizenship this will not your VAWA case or your ability to become us citizen can some one send me the link where this information is mentioned I need it so as to respond a RFE 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

(Quick -- while it's still Wednesday somewhere) Here is our Semiofficial Semiweekly VAWA-Thread Joke post:

=============================================================
COMMENTS ABOUT ADULTHOOD

Weekends are a scam.  You spend one day exhausted and the other day anxious.

"Are you OK?"  Oh my god, no, but for the purposes of this conversation, yes, I'm fine.

Remember when you were little and you'd fall on the trampoline and everyone would keep jumping so you couldn't get back up?  That's exactly how this year has felt.

How did I take all those classes when I was in school?!  Now, if I have one meeting and get groceries the same day, I fall apart.

The last time I went to Urgent Care, I checked off "excessive crying" on the symptom list.  The nurse got really confused and told me that was meant for babies.

Health insurance is cool!  You get to pay a bunch of money each month for nothing, and then if something happens to you, you pay a bunch more.

I hate when kids scream in public -- they don't have real problems.  It should be ME screaming.

One day, you wake up and everything is too sweet, too loud, and starts too late.

Paid rent, so I'll be at home enjoying my purchase for the rest of the month.

Adulthood is inheriting your parents' medical problems and finally realizing why they're kind of mean.

Adulthood is repetitively saying, "...but after this week, things will finally slow down a little" to people, until you either retire or die.

Being an adult is hard, but can you imagine having to do Math homework again?

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
6 hours ago, Braveheart123 said:

Dear freinds once your VAWA approved even if your abuser suppose passed away or lost his citizenship this will not your VAWA case or your ability to become us citizen can some one send me the link where this information is mentioned I need it so as to respond a RFE 

It affects the 3 year rule and you will have to apply under 5 year rule

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

It affects the 3 year rule and you will have to apply under 5 year rule

Even if he is a US citizen will this affect your case in 3 years or 5 years rule 

Hey family please I need an idea or help ! 

I had bad experience with my old lawyer now I have a new one !  

my sec rfe was asking about the letter from my therapist wasn’t an evaluation! 
And the officer needed more details! About it 

Now I have a real evaluation now 

I have a pic of physical abuse and a statement by me 

I have a police report ( calls and text harassment ) 

I have good morals as well from friends and co worker ! 

and I have threat text and calls as well screen shot ! 

I was with my lawyer today and she was like maybe rejecting you and sending you rfe because of your race and you are man 

I just wanna make sure if I have a good lawyer and evidence is good ! Or the lawyer is right because of my race Cuse she said I should be approved 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.