Varias

Is K-3 still dead?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 4/1/2024 at 5:20 PM, h02ejmajja said:

While the K3 isn't QUITE dead - why would you want it?  It has all the frustrating parts of the K1 (adjustment of status) and none of the benefits of the spouse visa. 

In the past few years, K3 issuances have been as follows: 

2018 - 5 K3s issued (Mexico - 2, Bahamas, Brazil, Honduras - 1 each)

2019 - 7 K3s issued(Mexico - 3, Afghanistan, El Salvador, Venezuela and Yemen - 1 each)

2020 - 2 K3s issued (Honduras and Yemen)

2021 - 2 K3s issued (Mexico and Pakistan)

2022 - 4 K3s issued (Mexico - 2, Great Britain and Brazil - 1 each)

2023 - 6 K3s issued (Democratic Republic of the Congo - 2, China, Great Britain, Morocco and Yemen - 1 each)

The only one I know the full detail of was the one from Morocco in August 2023 - basically because they were asking questions on a FB group and I didn't believe their K3 had been approved by USCIS so I asked and they sent me pictures and I kept thinking that they wouldn't actually GET the K3, but they did. In their situation, the couple had filed a K1, then got married and (unknowing the proper steps) filled out the I-130 and a couple days after the I-130 was filed they K1 was approved so they sent a request that, since they were not married and had filed the I-130, that the K1 be changed to a K3 - and surprisingly it was - which they verified through all NOAs and visa issued to me. 

I'm pretty sure they got lucky and it was a fluke. For the others that have been approved - I always wondered if they MEANT to get the K3 or if theirs were by accident also. 

As the Great Britain K3 case for 2022, I can say we did mean to get it, but something unknown to us just went wonky af with our case. Filed 130 July 2019, Feb 2020 RFE for marriage certificate (which we definitely sent originally), Updated to received Feb 18 2020, March 2020 updated to Review and nothing ever since. Contacting congressman, nothing worked. And believe you me, we tried multiple times. Applied for K3 and it was approved pretty crazily fast (I don't have my timeline in front of me but it was like a month or two later we got noa2).

The week he landed (May 2022) I- 130 changed to an interview at our field office (June 2022) which was really nothing - they only asked how we met and said we were approved.

We were desperate and happy for the K3, but yes have had to go through the AOS and everything too, which has cost us a lot more money. 

Our AOS was filed only Dec 2023 (our daughter fell ill shortly after he arrived (chronic illness we've had a lot to deal with) so it was put on the back burner (plus honestly I just needed a mental break from immigration). Our case is at the field office and we received an RFE for medical, which we expected - that was just mailed back today so.. fingers crossed we will finally be done soon. Definitely a much bigger hassle than if the I-130 would have gone the way it was supposed to. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He interviewed for his CR1/Ir1 before he entered on a K3?

And was approved?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.