Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,587 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all, unfortunately I am joining this club :( Given a DS-5535 at my K1 interview on June 7th in Montreal. No idea why...I have no ties to MENA countries, do not work in tech, never had border issues. They gave me my passport back, looks like we are in it for the long haul 😭

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It remains a damned mystery (reasons) many are refused and slapped with the Dreaded DS-5535.  Excessive travel (regardless where to) is a trigger, I’ve learned.  When you come up for air as to be added to the Sheets tracker 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, CarmenD said:

It remains a damned mystery (reasons) many are refused and slapped with the Dreaded DS-5535.  Excessive travel (regardless where to) is a trigger, I’ve learned.  When you come up for air as to be added to the Sheets tracker 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit

I just added my info - hopefully I did it correctly! 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Liz4356 said:

just added my info - hopefully I did it correctly! 

Oh, last I knew the tracker was made inaccessible to all, other than to view.  I’m sure you did!

Timeline
On 6/9/2024 at 10:11 AM, canadian85 said:

Can one apply for other work visas or TN visa to go and work in the US ..if after interview , you are put into administrative processing?

It is my understanding this is permissible, provided of course that requirements are met. for that different visa application.  Can’t say whether you’d end up in AP all over again

Well. I am sad to say my fiance and I are in this boat with you all. His interview was May 10, 2024 in Montreal. He got the DS-122 and we submitted the online form DS-5535 the next day on May 11. I know many of you have been waiting far longer but looking for some advice on following up. We hadn't done anything besides check the online status since it says to not contact them less than 180 days. But the lack of notification that they even received the online form submission is so unnerving. Especially reading some of the timelines for you all.

My questions are:

1. Should we wait to email or has anyone done it prior to 180 days with any success. I just want a confirmation.

2. Which contact emails are you using - specific to K-1?

3. Has contacting your local senators/congressman made any difference?

4. Is there anything else we can do besides wait?

10 minutes ago, Nylons76 said:

Well. I am sad to say my fiance and I are in this boat with you all. His interview was May 10, 2024 in Montreal. He got the DS-122 and we submitted the online form DS-5535 the next day on May 11. I know many of you have been waiting far longer but looking for some advice on following up. We hadn't done anything besides check the online status since it says to not contact them less than 180 days. But the lack of notification that they even received the online form submission is so unnerving. Especially reading some of the timelines for you all.

My questions are:

1. Should we wait to email or has anyone done it prior to 180 days with any success. I just want a confirmation.

I did, they never respond.

My visa is E1, but I think we should all contact montreal-iv-dv@state.gov

They responded to the congressman who inquired for me very timely.  But nothing besides the routine reply since AP w/ DS5535 is done in DC.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Nylons76 said:

My questions are:

I don't really have advice for you but wanted to share what i've been doing.

-Check status on CEAC weekdays at 5 PM EST to see if there is any update.  My "last updated date" changed the day after I sent in my completed DS-5535, and every week on Friday since then.  I realize this isn't exactly confirmation, but at least someone is looking at my case weekly.  Good enough for me.

-I emailed to update my phone number using the address found in the visa navigator: https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=dFDPZv5a0UimkaErISH0Sy1YoH0qhFtLmlsn5fRWtORUM1VNMVlYWFAzNldZRU5KUjgwTjhFOVFWTCQlQCN0PWcu  i think there's a phone number there to call the consulate if you wanted to try to get confirmation.

-I did a free consultation with a US immigration lawyer and they said all I can do is wait and if it doesn't clear by 1 year after my case has been with the state department, we could try suing the consulate.  We have considered contacting our representatives in California but decided to wait.

I'm sorry this is happening to you, it super sucks.🍀Good luck

Married since 2016
I-130 Approved September 2023

DQ February 14 2024

Interview May 17 2024 - Refused

Submitted DS-5535 May 20 2024

Timeline

“There's a phone number there to call the consulate if you wanted to try to get confirmation.”. 

It’s not answered by a living breathing human.. ever.  I’ve given up.  It consists of recordings based on prompts given to obtain general information only.  There’s no option to speak to anyone

Timeline
On 6/9/2024 at 7:11 AM, canadian85 said:

Can one apply for other work visas or TN visa to go and work in the US ..if after interview , you are put into administrative processing?

Yes you can. The applications should have no bearing on each other. TN is a non-immigrant visa, so you’ll have to show proof of ties with Canada and the intention to return. My employer submitted H1B visa sponsorship and was approved. The lawyers were aware of my AP situation but they were not concerned. The boarder officers didn’t ask about my AP status at all. Hope this is helpful. 

It has been 14 months and I’m still waiting for my AP to clear. Which to further proof that AP with DS5535 is beyond bogus. U are free to travel in and out of the country as Canadian… but you can’t immigrate because of national security reasons… that they can’t disclose. 

Edited by APRIL2023

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.