FolieADeux

Very confused about the i-134 Affidavit for Support

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I've got a few questions that I am struggling to find answers to and would appreciate some guidance.

Our visa petition has been approved, and my fiance (UK citizen) received a list of items that he needs to bring to the interview. I'm confused at some of the wording and verbiage from the letter he received and want to make sure we get everything right so there's no problems.

At the top of the letter, it says "Documents you are required to complete and provide for your K visa interview". The key words here are "you are required to complete and provide." We are not sure if the i-134 is a form that I, the American citizen, needs to complete or not because it says "You", while being addressed to my non-American fiance. So if someone could help clarify who is supposed to fill out this form (me, the American sponsor, or him, the UK citizen), I would really appreciate it.

And in relation to this question, I was looking at the form and the very first question is "I am filing this form on behalf of: Myself as the beneficiary. Another individual who is the beneficiary", where we must tick a box for one of these options. But that is where the problem lies because I don't know who is supposed to be filling this out to begin with. Also, what is the definition of the word "beneficiary"? Is my non-American fiance the beneficiary or am I?

Also, right after where it lists Affidavit of Support I-134 on the letter, it states "current tax returns". I'm not sure if they want my tax returns, his tax returns or both. They unfortunately gave little to no clarifying information for any of these things and I'm at a loss.

I did try to search on here to see if anyone had asked about these issues before and couldn't find any prior posts related to a UK citizen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

27 minutes ago, J.M. said:

Petitioner is you, the US citizen.

Beneficiary is your foreign fiancé

I-134 is completed by the you, the petitioner.

Tax returns will be yours.

I have one other question if you don't mind. It says on this list that it requires my divorce certificate, Original or Certified Copy. I was previously married and I do have my original divorce decree, but there's no way in hell I am mailing that to the UK when the mail situation is so unreliable. Do you know if they really do want to see a certified copy and what that would look like? Like, is that something I can go to a currency exchange, have them make a copy and get a notary stamp on it? I'm not really sure what that means. Could you advise?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A certified copy usually would come from the court where the divorce took place.  How you obtain it would depend on the local policies for that particular court.  For me (in Texas), it was just a matter of going to the court records department, asking for a certified copy and paying a small fee.  Here, a certified copy just has something like "certified true and correct copy" printed on every page and has a seal on the final page.  I cannot advise if the UK consulate will want a certified copy or just a copy.

13 minutes ago, J.M. said:

A certified copy usually would come from the court where the divorce took place.  How you obtain it would depend on the local policies for that particular court.  For me (in Texas), it was just a matter of going to the court records department, asking for a certified copy and paying a small fee.  Here, a certified copy just has something like "certified true and correct copy" printed on every page and has a seal on the final page.  I cannot advise if the UK consulate will want a certified copy or just a copy.

Ok, thanks that is super helpful! Well I'm going to have to do a bit more work because I don't live in the state where I got divorced anymore. I got divorced in Illinois and I moved to North Carolina since 2018 lol. I'll call the county tomorrow and ask them if there's some way I can order a copy online. I tried to check their online records website but when I searched for it, it said they don't have any record of it in their database. I'll figure it out somehow. But anyway thank you again for your assistance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I self sponsored just seemed so much easier, the big one of course is the I 864

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

20 hours ago, FolieADeux said:

I have one other question if you don't mind. It says on this list that it requires my divorce certificate, Original or Certified Copy. I was previously married and I do have my original divorce decree, but there's no way in hell I am mailing that to the UK when the mail situation is so unreliable. Do you know if they really do want to see a certified copy and what that would look like? Like, is that something I can go to a currency exchange, have them make a copy and get a notary stamp on it? I'm not really sure what that means. Could you advise?

For my fiance interview, I just sent my original divorce decree copy that I had, (via FedEx), and many months later I go another one from the country where I got divorced, so I still have an original from the county me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.