alliejourney

Documents needed for SSN

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello!

Just trying to plan ahead - my fiance should be arriving here on a K1 visa in June and we'd like to get on the process of getting his SSN as soon as he arrives, before our marriage. 

In looking at the instructions/accepted documents, it is my understanding that you need two separate documents to prove age and evidence of identity. However, everything under the "evidence of identity" section specifies that it must be a US license, US state ID card, or US passport, obviously none of which my fiance will be able to get. Under evidence of age, it also specifies a US birth certificate.

So my question is, what documents can we bring that would be acceptable? Will his foreign passport and foreign birth certificate in addition to his visa and I-94 suffice, or is there something else we will need? I searched but haven't found a consistent answer.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by alliejourney
adding clarifying information

5 minutes ago, alliejourney said:

Hello!

Just trying to plan ahead - my fiance should be arriving here in June and we'd like to get on the process of getting his SSN ASAP, before our marriage. 

In looking at the instructions/accepted documents, it is my understanding that you need two separate documents to prove age and evidence of identity. However, everything under the "evidence of identity" section specifies that it must be a US license, US state ID card, or US passport, obviously none of which my fiance will be able to get. Under evidence of age, it also specifies a US birth certificate.

So my question is, what documents can we bring that would be acceptable? Will his foreign passport and foreign birth certificate in addition to his visa and I-94 suffice, or is there something else we will need? I searched but haven't found a consistent answer.

Thanks for the help.

You need to select 'non citizen' to be given the list for him. https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

Timeline
4 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

You need to select 'non citizen' to be given the list for him. https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

Thanks so much for this, that's helpful!

So since he's a K1 he isn't technically authorized to work. I already saw that I should print out the webpage memo that states he is still eligible for an SSN, so I'm hoping that we get a good agent who will accept that for the work authorization piece. I know this also means he'll have a social security card with a restriction, which is fine. We'll apply for the EAD and AOS as soon as we're married.

Then if I'm reading this correctly, we'll also just need his I-94, show the visa stamp in his passport, and then they'll accept his foreign birth certificate and foreign passport for identification and proof of age - anyone, please feel free to correct me or let me know anything we may need in addition!

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

On 3/13/2024 at 8:39 AM, alliejourney said:

Then if I'm reading this correctly, we'll also just need his I-94, show the visa stamp in his passport, and then they'll accept his foreign birth certificate and foreign passport for identification and proof of age - anyone, please feel free to correct me or let me know anything we may need in addition!

I would appreciate it if someone could verify that this is correct. The RM 10211.530 is very hard to decipher and one of the requirements on the VJ SSN guide is "another valid form of ID"

Is the above method acceptable?

Our K-1 Journey

7 Aug 2023: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 2023: NOA1, arrives approx. a week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 2024: NVC received case.

1 Apr 2024: after one inquiry, NVC provided case #.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 2024: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 2024: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 2024: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 2024: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 2024: K1 visa in hand!

Timeline
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hplusj said:

I would appreciate it if someone could verify that this is correct. The RM 10211.530 is very hard to decipher and one of the requirements on the VJ SSN guide is "another valid form of ID"

Is the above method acceptable?

Hi! I can confirm that this was correct. We got his SSN with absolutely no problems the day after we entered the US on his K1. We brought along his foreign birth certificate, the I-94 with his most recent entry on the K1, and his passport with his K1 stamp. They actually didn't even ask to see his birth certificate, just the I-94 and passport. (I'd still bring the birth certificate though, just to be safe.) All in all it took about a half hour at the office, and we received his SSN in the mail just over 2 weeks later.

Edited by alliejourney
clarifying

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
On 7/10/2024 at 8:23 PM, alliejourney said:

Hi! I can confirm that this was correct. We got his SSN with absolutely no problems the day after we entered the US on his K1. We brought along his foreign birth certificate, the I-94 with his most recent entry on the K1, and his passport with his K1 stamp. They actually didn't even ask to see his birth certificate, just the I-94 and passport. (I'd still bring the birth certificate though, just to be safe.) All in all it took about a half hour at the office, and we received his SSN in the mail just over 2 weeks later.

Thank you so much for the update! 

Can you provide how long you waited after he entered the US before going in to the SSA office, in order to see him in the SAVE-ASVI database?  What was that process like, even?

Our K-1 Journey

7 Aug 2023: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 2023: NOA1, arrives approx. a week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 2024: NVC received case.

1 Apr 2024: after one inquiry, NVC provided case #.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 2024: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 2024: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 2024: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 2024: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 2024: K1 visa in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, hplusj said:

Can you provide how long you waited after he entered the US before going in to the SSA office, in order to see him in the SAVE-ASVI database?  What was that process like, even?

Next day is recommended .  

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
2 hours ago, hplusj said:

Yep, what lilbear said. We arrived late at night. When I woke up the next morning, I checked the I-94 website to see if it had been updated. It had been, so I printed a copy and we headed to the SSA office as soon as he was awake that day! Now that everything is done digitally, it’s incredibly fast and painless :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.