est11

How long do I have to stay in the USA for when endorsing activating my IR1?

7 posts in this topic

Hi 

I received my spouse visa and my husband and I are not ready to relocate to the USA until July 2024 however my visa expires in May 2024. We plan to do a quick trip over for 5 days ($$$) and return to Australia to wrap things up. Is there a minimum amount of time I am required to remain in the USA when activating /endorsing my green card visa that is in my passport ? I know that it acts as a PR in the interim until I receive my green card. Does anyone know roughly when I will receive my actual green card? How long I must stay? Any other useful information will help me and others with the same situation? 

Thank you 

Edited by est11
needed to add some extra info

• est11 changed the title to How long do I have to stay in the USA for when endorsing activating my IR1?

How long do you plan on being in  Australia? Where is your green card going to be sent? 
You can leave after a day or two after landing… if you need to get your GC for whatever reason stay in the US until it arrives… 

if you want to stay in Australia for more than 6 months though I would apply for a re-entry permit so you can stay outside the US for up to two years without losing your GC. 
Although, the stamp in your passport can be used as a GC for the first year SO

1. you can leave the day after you arrive

2. if you plan on being outside the US less than 6 months you don’t have to do anything extra 

3. if you need to stay out of the US for more than 6 months apply for a reentry permit (i131) and wait for biometrics. 
ETA: I lived in Korea and some of my friends traveled to Guam to activate the visa and then returned to Korea to wrap things up. So, you don’t have to actually land in the state or city you intend to live in…. Just get that stamp and then leave. Same day is fine. 

Edited by Redro

17 minutes ago, Redro said:

ETA: I lived in Korea and some of my friends traveled to Guam to activate the visa and then returned to Korea to wrap things up. So, you don’t have to actually land in the state or city you intend to live in…. Just get that stamp and then leave. Same day is fine. 

We recently had a VJ member from the Philippines do a strait same day turnaround in Guam to activate a IR1 visa before it expired and returned to the Philippines to wrap things up before going to New York to live with her spouse a few months later.  They said immigration in Guam were understanding and they didn't have the slightest issue.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

9 minutes ago, top_secret said:

We recently had a VJ member from the Philippines do a strait same day turnaround in Guam to activate a IR1 visa before it expired and returned to the Philippines to wrap things up before going to New York to live with her spouse a few months later.  They said immigration in Guam were understanding and they didn't have the slightest issue.

I think Guam is used to people from Asia activating their IVs in the country. 
Good to know it’s not just Korea. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.