Tabornok

"No Record On File" in NBI Clearance Remarks

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

Na refused Visa ko and was sent 221g letter with instructions below:

Given that your Philippines police records show "no record on file," please provide a criminal record check from the Philippines for both applicants or court information on any arrests in the Philippines.

Now to give a bit of a background, yung unang NBI Clearance na napadala ko expired 2016 yung kulay green pa. Never been back to the Philippines since then. Nag request ako bagong NBI Clearance yung multi-purpose na yung reason pero ganun pa rin yung remarks "No Record on File". I already sent the new NBI Clearance via CEAC courier as instructed and it's been a month since I sent it. I checked case status and it still says Refused and last update shows 2024-Feb-27. Now napaisip ako baka hanapan talaga ako ng additional record check or court info.. No idea san to kukunin and I'm pretty confused as I thought this is what the NBI Clearance is for. Anyone else got this?

12 hours ago, Tabornok said:

Hello,

Na refused Visa ko and was sent 221g letter with instructions below:

Given that your Philippines police records show "no record on file," please provide a criminal record check from the Philippines for both applicants or court information on any arrests in the Philippines.

"NO RECORD ON FILE" or "NO DEROGATORY RECORD" are "good" and correct remarks on a NBI Clearance.   Either of those two remarks are what you and the embassy wants to see.

The quote from the 221g instructions does not make sense because "NO RECORD ON FILE" definitely is a correct remark.   Since it seems you are interviewing at some embassy outside of the Philippines, perhaps the consul there is just not familiar with Philippine documents(?????)

Given that the NBI Clearance you describe is definitely "good" and therefore the 221g instructions are not clear, I'm not sure what the solution is.  Maybe a letter explaining to the embassy that the reason it says "NO RECORD ON FILE" is because you never had any arrests or court cases that would have created a record. (????)

As a contingency you could try renewing your NBI Clearance again because sometimes on a renewal the remark changes from "NO RECORD ON FILE" to "NO DEROGATORY RECORD because now there IS then a record of the previous check.

for reference 

"NO RECORD ON FILE" or "NO DEROGATORY RECORD" is good

"NO CRIMINAL RECORD", "NO CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS" or "NO PENDING CASE" is not as good as it sounds and would require waiting for a letter of explanation from NBI.

"WITH DEROGATORY RECORD" is bad.

It sounds like yours is good.  

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

14 minutes ago, top_secret said:

"NO RECORD ON FILE" or "NO DEROGATORY RECORD" are "good" and correct remarks on a NBI Clearance.   Either of those two remarks are what you and the embassy wants to see.

The quote from the 221g instructions does not make sense because "NO RECORD ON FILE" definitely is a correct remark.   Since it seems you are interviewing at some embassy outside of the Philippines, perhaps the consul there is just not familiar with Philippine documents(?????)

Given that the NBI Clearance you describe is definitely "good" and therefore the 221g instructions are not clear, I'm not sure what the solution is.  Maybe a letter explaining to the embassy that the reason it says "NO RECORD ON FILE" is because you never had any arrests or court cases that would have created a record. (????)

As a contingency you could try renewing your NBI Clearance again because sometimes on a renewal the remark changes from "NO RECORD ON FILE" to "NO DEROGATORY RECORD because now there IS then a record of the previous check.

for reference 

"NO RECORD ON FILE" or "NO DEROGATORY RECORD" is good

"NO CRIMINAL RECORD", "NO CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS" or "NO PENDING CASE" is not as good as it sounds and would require waiting for a letter of explanation from NBI.

"WITH DEROGATORY RECORD" is bad.

It sounds like yours is good.  

Thanks. You are correct to say it's an embassy outside the Philippines. So this looks like someone not familiar with the NBI remarks or someone new. Where do I send this explanation? The only thing I can think of is via CEAC thru submitting a new document and enter the notes along with the attachment.

I've seen people with similar issues and they were advised that they usually need explanation from NBI. I could not find any link that points me to that document. I was planning to include that when I send my explanation. Do you happen to have a direct link from a government website pointing to that page explaining what comments require an explanation? 

13 minutes ago, Tabornok said:

I've seen people with similar issues and they were advised that they usually need explanation from NBI. I could not find any link that points me to that document. I was planning to include that when I send my explanation. Do you happen to have a direct link from a government website pointing to that page explaining what comments require an explanation? 

"NO RECORD ON FILE" does not require a letter of explanation.  There is US Embassy Manila's website explaining where a letter of explanation is required and it does not apply to you.

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ApplyforImmigrantVisa.html#:~:text=An official letter of explanation,the date it is issued.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.

5 hours ago, Tabornok said:

I initially was wary that this isnt a gov website because TLD is .com however

ustraveldocs.com is CGI Federal Inc. which is the civilian IT contractor responsible for US Embassy Manila's and some other embassies visa scheduling websites.  While admittedly their IT work is somewhat suspect and sub-par, they are officially sanctioned by the Embassy.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

I just w

On 3/5/2024 at 7:13 PM, top_secret said:

ustraveldocs.com is CGI Federal Inc. which is the civilian IT contractor responsible for US Embassy Manila's and some other embassies visa scheduling websites.  While admittedly their IT work is somewhat suspect and sub-par, they are officially sanctioned by the Embassy.

I just got an update that travel docs are on the way and when I checked the Visa case status website it is now showing as Issued! I didn't have to provide any explanation and it looks like the new blue FBI clearance I submitted was good enough. Thanks again for your time. Appreciate it a lot!

4 hours ago, Tabornok said:

I just got an update that travel docs are on the way and when I checked the Visa case status website it is now showing as Issued! I didn't have to provide any explanation and it looks like the new blue FBI clearance I submitted was good enough. Thanks again for your time. Appreciate it a lot!

Awesome.  Maybe the consul who wrote the 221g didn't know what it was supposed to say, but someone else down at the embassy knows what they are doing.  It was correct.  happy it worked out.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.