Tiffany and Regie

Birth Certificate Late Registration and Incorrect Mother's Maiden name

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello there, I'm from the Philippines  and I have an interview scheduled on March 4, 2024, Monday. However, I've encountered some issues with my birth certificate.

Firstly, my mother's maiden name on the document is incorrect as she put her married name instead. Secondly, I'm concerned about my Affidavit of Delayed Registration that doesn't have any details in it, but just signature, which is the second page of my birth certificate, as it was registered 16 days late.

I'm worried that I won't have enough time to correct these issues, as I plan to request supporting documents like school forms and corrections for my birth certificate. This might take weeks or months to be given here, and I'm afraid that my petition may be delayed or even denied due to the documents.

Please advise me on what to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***I have moved this topic to the Philippines regional forum where our PI experts frequent.  They are more knowledgeable in the area of Philippine BC requirements***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It takes a long time to correct a birth certificate error in the Philippines.  I have read posts from others with the exact same issue that you have, and it was not a problem.  Your mother is not getting the visa, you are.  As long as your information is accurate on the birth certificate, you will probably be OK.  The worst-case scenario is they ask you to correct the birth certificate.  Attend the interview and present your documents.  If they ask about the name discrepancy, explain it.  There is no need to mention it if they don't ask about it.

As for the affidavit of late registration, are you talking about the original affidavit of late registration from when your birth was registered?  Whatever information is on the document, it was acceptable at the time it was used, or you wouldn't have a birth certificate.  It is part of your record just to show that you had a late registration.  You can't go back in time and change it.

I would not delay your interview for months to amend a birth certificate error that likely won't be a problem anyway.  Let them tell you if it's a problem.

If, in the future, you petition your mother, you might have to get it corrected at that time.

Edited by J.M.

10 hours ago, Tiffany and Regie said:

Firstly, my mother's maiden name on the document is incorrect as she put her married name instead.

Don't even waste your time worrying about this. Everyone in the Embassy knows that BCs have incorrect data more often than all correct. If your name, sex, and birth date are correct, it doesn't matter and they will most likely not even notice. My wife's BC says that her mom was 45 at birth.

10 hours ago, Tiffany and Regie said:

I'm concerned about my Affidavit of Delayed Registration that doesn't have any details in it, but just signature, which is the second page of my birth certificate, as it was registered 16 days late.

Is your BC notated in the top right corner with "Late Registration"?

image.png.faabe21bffb3b90138f722bbdf04f239.png

If so they will ask you for school records (and pictures), medical and a baptismal certificate (if you have one) from before the age 16. If you do not have that at the interview they may give you a 221G requesting the information and giving you time to get the info and send it to them.

I am not sure where or why you got a " Affidavit of Delayed Registration" but I am guessing you read it in some FB group or something. My wife received a 221g for late registration. You know what they didn't ask for in the 221g?  An Affidavit of Delayed Registration.

If your Birth Certificate is not notated with Late Registration, like the pic,  then you are worrying about nothing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.