Jeff06098

Best method to apply for CS1

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and to this process and I’m not certain if it would be best for me to use something like simple citizen, hire an attorney or file on my own.  My case should be uncomplicated I think.   I will list my circumstances below.  

My Husband and I (same sex) were just married on 2/17/24.
He is a Mexican National and I’m a US citizen.
I am 42 and he is 28. (I don’t think this should be an issue) 
We have been in a relationship for 2 years and met when I was in Mexico for work.  

For proof of marriage- We have not cohabited but have spent a lot of time together when I work in Mexico.  I also try to fly there to spend a weekend a month with him.  We have also gone on three big vacations together. Two to resorts in Mexico and one to Quebec Canada.  We have flown on the same itinerary.  We do not share resources as he lives in Mexico and I live in the USA but I do sometimes send him small sums of money through Remitly to help him but nothing significant as he’s to proud and stubborn to accept that.  
I have many photos of us together over the years and on vacation and many hundreds that I have taken of just him. I have photos of him, myself and my oldest son on one vacation we took together.  My witnesses at my wedding were my son and my ex wife (good friends) and I have photos of all of us and the wedding.   I have countless passport stamps into Mexico and he has stamps on his from our trip to Canada.  We message all day every day so I have countless texts I could also submit from over the years. 

He has never been to the USA. 
He has no criminal record.  
He owns a house in Mexico (not sure if that is significant) 

He has a valid Mexican Passport 

I make well over the minimum support threshold (90k) 

I have previous marriages.  
He has no previous marriages and no children. 

That’s about all the info I can think off pertaining to my case.  If I am missing something please let me know.   

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This is a DIY site but you can obviously afford to pay a Lawyer if you wish, that is really a personal choice. It is not that difficult. Having said that is you prefer a Lawyer I would never dissuade someone from using one, just make sure they are competent.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

This is a DIY site but you can obviously afford to pay a Lawyer if you wish, that is really a personal choice. It is not that difficult. Having said that is you prefer a Lawyer I would never dissuade someone from using one, just make sure they are competent.

Hello Sir,

I prefer not to pay for a lawyer.  I only disclosed my salary for the minimum threshold.    I want to do it on my own. But I am concerned about the proof of relationship because we are newlyweds and have not cohabited.  I listed extensively what I have available to prove this in my post.  I do not want to get rejected and have to refile.   So that was the purpose of my post.  To get opinions from people who have gone through or are going through the process on what might be the best option based on the circumstances of my case.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Jeff06098 said:

Hello Sir,

I prefer not to pay for a lawyer.  I only disclosed my salary for the minimum threshold.    I want to do it on my own. But I am concerned about the proof of relationship because we are newlyweds and have not cohabited.  I listed extensively what I have available to prove this in my post.  I do not want to get rejected and have to refile.   So that was the purpose of my post.  To get opinions from people who have gone through or are going through the process on what might be the best option based on the circumstances of my case.  

Most married couples in an international LDR do not have a lot of co-habitation evidence to submit.  All you can do is start the process by filing the I130, and start co-mingling the marriage as you will need the marriage evidence at the NVC/consulate step in the process which will come in about a year or so.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 hours ago, Jeff06098 said:

Hello Sir,

Then DIY and make sure you well document your relationship,

1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

Most married couples in an international LDR do not have a lot of co-habitation evidence to submit.  All you can do is start the process by filing the I130, and start co-mingling the marriage as you will need the marriage evidence at the NVC/consulate step in the process which will come in about a year or so.

Good Luck!

CDJ may be looking at 2 years, so plenty of time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You haven't mentioned anything that's a red flag.  If you're willing to do the homework, and pay attention to detail, I don't see any reason not to do it yourself.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

DIY. Essentially, you're doing everything anyway. Gathering all the edvidence, documents, etc. The lawyer compiles, fill out the form, and file. Having done this twice (for spouse and step son), it's not complicated. As said above, meticulously follow the instructions. A friend had an attourney file, but the attourney forgot to get the petitioner to sign the form. After waiting 8 months, it was kicked back for signature and the waiting restarts. Lesson Learned: check, check, and double check to ensure all is correct before submitting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

What isa CS1 visa? Are you talking about CR1?

This is a DIY site, the majority of us have done the entire process on our own. As long as your case isn't complicated, then no reason for an attorney.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Cathi said:

What isa CS1 visa? Are you talking about CR1?

This is a DIY site, the majority of us have done the entire process on our own. As long as your case isn't complicated, then no reason for an attorney.

There really is more to whether you can/should do it yourself that you say.  First, you have to do the homework before you know if your case is complicated or not.  Then, you must have the attitude, aptitude, and motivation to do the homework, interpret accurately and answer accurately.  Part of "aptitude" is the ability to "read carefully, and interpret literally".  We se evidence of folks here every day who cannot or did not do even a C- job of any of that.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Note:  Even attorneys can screw up a case.  Our attorney failed to initially include a couple documents at the NVC stage....causing us a 12 week delay.  There is value in being able to verify everything yourself. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Note:  Even attorneys can screw up a case.  Our attorney failed to initially include a couple documents at the NVC stage....causing us a 12 week delay.  There is value in being able to verify everything yourself. 

I always asked for draft before attorney filed petition. Even if OP hires somebody he is responsible for petition.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 2/25/2024 at 5:48 PM, OldUser said:

I always asked for draft before attorney filed petition. Even if OP hires somebody he is responsible for petition.

That's a great idea.  I was clueless as to the process at the time....LOL.  I educated myself fast after I realized that I cared more about the visa than the attorney who messed up our case did....of course, he already had his flat fee.  Thanks to the good folks here, I was able to dismiss his services after the NVC process.  The Consulate process, I-751, and N-400 processes were all done solo without a hitch.  Thank you, Visa Journey!!!

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
4 hours ago, pushbrk said:

There really is more to whether you can/should do it yourself that you say.  First, you have to do the homework before you know if your case is complicated or not.  Then, you must have the attitude, aptitude, and motivation to do the homework, interpret accurately and answer accurately.  Part of "aptitude" is the ability to "read carefully, and interpret literally".  We se evidence of folks here every day who cannot or did not do even a C- job of any of that.

Truth.

I honestly think that you can do it yourself,  in the process of filling out the applications if you have questions this would be the place to come and get answers,  While I did not use a lawyer, I did use the services of a company that reviews and assists in the filling out of the forms and for me the piece of mind that it was all correct was worth the expense, (far less than a lawyer.)  Do understand if you use one of these services there are no guarantees, just that the paper work is filled out correctly.  In any case, I think you can save all that money and just use this site for guidance.  Good luck.

Timeline
4 hours ago, TexasRafael said:

I honestly think that you can do it yourself,  in the process of filling out the applications if you have questions this would be the place to come and get answers,  While I did not use a lawyer, I did use the services of a company that reviews and assists in the filling out of the forms and for me the piece of mind that it was all correct was worth the expense, (far less than a lawyer.)  Do understand if you use one of these services there are no guarantees, just that the paper work is filled out correctly.  In any case, I think you can save all that money and just use this site for guidance.  Good luck.

You don't know the aptitude, attitude, or motivation of this person.  Whether they can do it themselves is dependent on those factors, not just that they can find the website on the internet.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.