Pete Rogers

CR-1 Spousal Visa — Documentation Question

5 posts in this topic

Finally have my interview date at the US Embassy in London, and I'm running through the checklist of documents needed. I've noticed a discrepancy and can't get a straight answer from the Embassy.

In the initial link on the interview confirmation (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-10-prepare-for-the-interview.html), it states:

• You do not need to bring your Affidavit of Support or financial evidence you submitted to NVC.

However, on the link it sends you to for a full breakdown of required documents (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/LND-London.html), under Family-based visa applications, it says:

Applicants who fall into any category listed in italics below should bring these additional documents:

For family-based visa applications:

• The appropriate Form I-864 Affidavit of Support for each financial sponsor along with a photocopy of the sponsor’s IRS transcript or most recent U.S. federal income tax return, and any relevant W-2s.

• Proof of your U.S. petitioner’s status and domicile in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, naturalization certificate, or lawful permanent resident card).

• Evidence of the relationship between the petitioner and visa applicant (such as photographs, letters, or emails).

If you are married: Your original marriage certificate, English translation, and a photocopy. A certified copy from the issuing authority is acceptable.

My wife is a US citizen, and has multiple times confirmed her current address. She has submitted the tax returns etc previously — do I need to bring a copy of them to my interview or not? The two links seems to contradict themselves.

Also, for proof of domicile (if that is even needed, as the wording makes it sound like it only applies of the petitioner themselves is an immigrant), is a State ID acceptable? Reason being, her US passport hasn't been updated since we got married, so still has her maiden name and previous address on it, and we're worried it wouldn't be accepted.

Again, all this feels redundant, because if they had any doubts she didn't live in the US, we wouldn't have made it this far. But I want to be 100% I have everything before I get to my interview.

Any insights are welcome.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just bring the Affidavit.  Update it if there's been an update.  You don't want to be handed a 221g to submit an updated I-864 if you can prevent it.  If you have copies of her tax transcrips, that's even better than her returns - the transcripts prove the return was sent and reviewed by the IRS. 

They want the passport because it proves she's a US citizen.  State ID can be issued to nearly anyone.  She has petitioned you as a US citizen and they need proof of that.  Your marriage certificate will show her maiden name.  Don't stress about that.  

Proof of domicile - pay stubs for work, bills sent to the address - just something showing she's actually in the US.  Are you likely to need it?  No.  But again, overprepare in case you're asked.  

Evidence - it's whatever you submitted for your original application.  Chances are they won't look at it, but they can ask.  

It is all redundant.  But, you submitted online before, they need to verify the physical copies of the documents.  It always seems that much more ridiculously redundant when you're in a legitimate relationship, but legitimate relationships take for granted how much fraud there is out there.  One bad apple spoils it for the rest of us who are legit!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pete Rogers said:

Again, all this feels redundant, because if they had any doubts she didn't live in the US, we wouldn't have made it this far.

Thanks

If in doubt, ALWAYS take the documents.  The Consulate Officer is THE SOLE approval authority for visas.  No one who has processed the case to this point is in a position to approve it.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Take everything you can think of.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I brought originals of what I could, and copies of everything else, including all documents we had already submitted. At my interview in London, I was only asked for my original marriage certificate, birth certificate, police certificate and passport. But better to have everything just in case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.