Lone

Don't understand consular officer decision after spouse interview

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

As mentioned "The totality of circumstances" in your case is important

On  SSA you receive medicare and can not add him 

your part time job would also not have full health benefits

So, it would have been up to u to show u researched health care providers in Ga and could afford his 

That aside did u send the 1099 for SSA along with your W2 as otherwise the CO would have looked at AGI

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html#:~:text=Financial sponsors can only include,the value of their home.

Assets:

Financial sponsors can only include assets that are convertible into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the sponsor and his/her family. Examples of assets easily convertible to cash are savings, stocks, bonds and property. Sponsors may include the value of their home

U can include the home but u needed an appraisal,   the mortgage lender recent page of lien(s) to show actual asset  along with proof it could be sold in  a year 

but savings, etc are more important

what u do not mention is both ages and is it the norm in spouses'  country to marry a widow?

HIs country is important

your ages are important

not of child bearing age for some countries is important

the actual time spent together is Very important for some countries 

and understand the CO must not only protect the USC but needs to protect the immigrant 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP was given a heads up last year.

Cape Verde, we do not have many members going through there, I think it is a very small Consulate, maybe a one person?

House is primary resident so will not count.

Job is just a year and a bit, unclear what the income levels were before then. Nothing mentioned.

I assume the job is regular employment and not self employed?

There may well be other factors not mentioned.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Must admit I have never been there but judging from the photos....

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

21 hours ago, Lone said:

My spouse recently had his visa interview and I must say we are baffled. I'm the petitioner I made $about $14000 on my part time job from 12/2022 and is still currently employed. I also had $14,900 survivor benefits from my late husband. I even added the value of my home as an asset if the other income was not sufficient. The consular still insist we need a joint sponsor. I really cannot find a joint sponsor. The consular' s office won't give any details I write and ask questions and they never give a straight forward answer. So frustrating.

How about the previous 2 years? 
Were they sufficient? 
Did you make a similar amount of money (above the limit) or was the amount below the limit? 
Also, are you able to take on full time work to improve your financial situation?

Final question: which consulate did your husband interview at? Is there a big age gap or is he a similar age to you? 
If a similar age do you think he would be able to secure a good job? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 2/22/2024 at 10:23 AM, Boiler said:

OP was given a heads up last year.

Cape Verde, we do not have many members going through there, I think it is a very small Consulate, maybe a one person?

House is primary resident so will not count.

Job is just a year and a bit, unclear what the income levels were before then. Nothing mentioned.

I assume the job is regular employment and not self employed?

There may well be other factors not mentioned.

it use to be stated in I 864 instructions that not use primary residence / that is no longer in the asset instruction rules

but as u say,  the CO does not have to accept it 

Timeline
5 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

it use to be stated in I 864 instructions that not use primary residence / that is no longer in the asset instruction rules

but as u say,  the CO does not have to accept it 

It is not specifically stated but is heavily implied.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.