Bunny Gurl

NVC approval timeframes

34 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2024 at 4:53 AM, Bunny Gurl said:

No, my mom's case was initially assigned at Warsaw, as, probably, most of the Russian applicants' cases since the war started. That is, I think, really ridiculous - don't they know, that Russian people need a Schengen visa for that? So to go to a visa interview, they have to obtain another visa. Why not assigning all Russian cases at the countries, were Russian citizens can go without a visa? Wouldn't that make a better sense?

I am now working in Germany, and the most convenient for me would be getting my mom's case assigned at Frankfurt - I could bring her over, have her stay here with me in my apartment within a comfortable time, without any hassle. So, I started requesting for transfer. I wrote all over the place - to NVC, to Frankfurt Visa Unit, at its multiple emails, made several phone calls - but those guys only kept fobbing me off with all kinds of kisses off for about 3 months (the petition was approved in October). I was already considering to write to my senator for assistance, but then decided to walk on the path of least resistance. I wrote to Tbilisi (Georgia) and got a reply from them, that they only accept the cases of those who reside in Georgia and Azerbaijan. Since when, I wonder? My friend's mother had her interview there in March 2023. Then I wrote to Almaty and thankfully received an acceptance letter from them. The very next day I received the letter  from NVC, confirming the case reassignment with the new number.
I am not terribly disappointed, for Almaty is the place, where my mom can get the easiest way - no visa needed, and it's a short trip by train for her, since she lives in the city of Kurgan, which is right next to Kazakhstan border. 

Do you mind explaining what you did and who you wrote to get your case transferred to Almaty? We have a K1 visa and would like for our case to be transferred from Warsaw as well.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
On 7/1/2024 at 10:21 PM, VisaQuestions2 said:

Do you mind explaining what you did and who you wrote to get your case transferred to Almaty? We have a K1 visa and would like for our case to be transferred from Warsaw as well.

I simply wrote an email to the U.S. embassy in Almaty. They replied within a couple days, saying they are accepting my Mom's case. Soon I received an email from NVC with the new case number for Almaty.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
On 7/1/2024 at 10:21 PM, VisaQuestions2 said:

U.S. Consulate in Almatymap pin

ADDRESS:

Samal-2, 97 Zholdasbekov Street,
Almaty, Kazakhstan, 050051

HOURS OF OPERATION:

Closed

PHONE:

+7 (727) 250-48-02

EMAIL:

Almaty@state.gov

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There's no point in comparing K1 and IR5 experiences as Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan are officially assigned posts for the parents with Russian citizenship. 

For K1/CR1/IR1 official post is Warsaw and no former USSR country accepts transfers of these cases without residency or citizenship, Kazakhstan included.

There were a few exceptions when the cases were transferred to Israel first (as at that time Israel accepted russian cases on a regular basis) and the embassy has stopped transactions due to war. So these cases were welcomed in Kyrgyzstan. 

For K1 now schengen is still the best option, bombarding the Embassy in Israel (Thailand and Hong Kong) with tearful emails is another. 

Romania might accept the case, and that is also in schengen area. But Romania issues schengen visas for Russians at least, so you can try applying officially with the purpose of tourism and interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.