cardia

Proof of spouse's US citizenship at interview

6 posts in this topic

Did some searching on the forum but was unable to find a clear answer. I was scheduled for the interview and the notice mentioned, as an applicant applying on the basis of my marriage to a U.S. citizen, that I needed to bring "your spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship":

image.thumb.png.b184fef48b878271e2ce39a579da994a.png

My spouse naturalized as minor, through his mother's naturalization. He has never obtained a certificate of citizenship, though his mother has one. He does have a valid U.S. passport, and has had one since he became a citizen. My question is: is that passport sufficient enough to fulfill their requirements, or do we really have to obtain a naturalization certificate for him? Obtaining the certificate could take up to a year, and my interview is next month.

Thanks all. Appreciate all and any responses.

Too bad that he never obtained a certificate of naturalization. This comes up a lot. It's not late to apply for the future.

For now, bring all the supporting documentation, including US passport and copy of mother's naturalization certificate. Do not volunteer it at the interview. If you can proof his citizenship by using passport, he should use it. If asked about naturalization certificate, present all evidence you have, explain the situation and perhaps show a copy of filed application for certificate. 

This is not a legal advice.

10 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Too bad that he never obtained a certificate of naturalization. This comes up a lot. It's not late to apply for the future.

For now, bring all the supporting documentation, including US passport and copy of mother's naturalization certificate. Do not volunteer it at the interview. If you can proof his citizenship by using passport, he should use it. If asked about naturalization certificate, present all evidence you have, explain the situation and perhaps show a copy of filed application for certificate. 

This is not a legal advice.

Thank you, this is what I was thinking when I noticed that specific line. Unfortunate that I did not do any additional digging past the initial list of evidence for the application, as I remember wondering if it'd present an issue that we only had his U.S. passport as proof of citizenship. Crossing my fingers that it does not come up at all at time of interview.

• 1 month later...

Coming back here to report that the IO did not ask to see any proof at all of my husband's U.S. citizenship. I suppose the scan of his passport that I sent in with my application worked just fine!

14 minutes ago, cardia said:

Coming back here to report that the IO did not ask to see any proof at all of my husband's U.S. citizenship. I suppose the scan of his passport that I sent in with my application worked just fine!

That's great thank you for the update. Yes, most of the times IO would not ask for proof, but it does happen to small percentage of cases. It's good to be prepared.

8 minutes ago, OldUser said:

That's great thank you for the update. Yes, most of the times IO would not ask for proof, but it does happen to small percentage of cases. It's good to be prepared.

Agreed, you never know with USCIS and the IO you'll get. Thanks again for your help at the time I originally posted!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.