Laure&Colin

N-400 February 2024 Filers

972 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
47 minutes ago, crm2822 said:

Ok thank you for sharing information. So it means field office pick the cases and schedules the interviews themselves versus NBC sending the cases to them and scheduling? Like pull vs push?

Could be. Not sure. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Laure&Colin said:

Your oath ceremony sounds a bit like mine was. Quick and to-the-point but not very ceremonial.

I would say San Jose CA had the most ceremonial, Based on my spouse's oath ceremony. It was in Parking lot of the office and kind of drive through.  They come take your GC first from car itself and give naturalization certificate in car only. You only step out for taking oath under a costco tent with 30 people standing at an inch distance.  No place to take photo. No speech nothing... nada. Whole thing done in 15 mins. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, Woodpecker07 said:

Hello! I passed my citizenship interview, office Milwaukee :) My husband was interviewed first, alone. We were not expecting that! Then they called me, my husband left the room, and did the relationship questions to approve my ROC. Then the civic test, reading and writing test, and N400 questions. I had 2 agents interviewing me, one was more like an observer. It went well even if my hands were sweating hahahaha. Now wait for my ceremony date on the mail. :)

Wow that sounds intense! Congrats on the approval!

1 hour ago, Duggu said:

I would say San Jose CA had the most ceremonial, Based on my spouse's oath ceremony. It was in Parking lot of the office and kind of drive through.  They come take your GC first from car itself and give naturalization certificate in car only. You only step out for taking oath under a costco tent with 30 people standing at an inch distance.  No place to take photo. No speech nothing... nada. Whole thing done in 15 mins. 

Yeah mine was the car-free carbon neutral equivalent of that, with bonus cockroach...

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

1 hour ago, Duggu said:

I would say San Jose CA had the most ceremonial, Based on my spouse's oath ceremony. It was in Parking lot of the office and kind of drive through.  They come take your GC first from car itself and give naturalization certificate in car only

to be fair, drive through is one of the most American experience 😂. First time I came across drive through ATMs was in the States 😅😅

Timeline
37 minutes ago, ctrlplm said:

to be fair, drive through is one of the most American experience 😂. First time I came across drive through ATMs was in the States 😅😅

I meant for many people who had a long immigration journey , it would have been definitely be an emotional moment and so we thought. for us, it was so rushed it didnt even settle in.  I see many oath ceremonies taking place at historic locations, guest speakers , biden speech etc but San Jose was like totally bland but even this is okay if we are getting the naturalization certificate. 

39 minutes ago, Duggu said:

I meant for many people who had a long immigration journey , it would have been definitely be an emotional moment and so we thought. for us, it was so rushed it didnt even settle in.  I see many oath ceremonies taking place at historic locations, guest speakers , biden speech etc but San Jose was like totally bland but even this is okay if we are getting the naturalization certificate. 

Did u ever called them or had a chat with uscis asking why your case was taking longer?

Timeline
2 hours ago, crm2822 said:

Did u ever called them or had a chat with uscis asking why your case was taking longer?

Yes ,  I did. They always say case is within normal processing times 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Duggu said:

Yes ,  I did. They always say case is within normal processing times 

Because it still was within normal processing times 

• Arrived to USA on F-1 Student Visa on 08/16/2016
  • Submitted I-485 & I-130 on 09/25/2017
  • Approved Green Card (IR7 category) on 05/17/2019
  • Electronically submitted N-400 (w/ name change) on 02/19/2024
  • Biometrics Reuse received on 02/19/2024
  • Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 
  • Interview at Chicago FO on 06/10/2024 
  • Oath Ceremony on 07/15/2024
  • Applied for Expedited US Passport at USPS on 07/15/2024
  • PASSPORT RECEIVED on 07/26/2024 🇺🇸

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
2 hours ago, crm2822 said:

I am nervous as I see people who applied after me are getting their interviews scheduled even at my local FO. I don’t know if my case has been assigned to officer for review yet or it is just sitting there.

Honestly there's no rhyme or reason. I'm sure they're meant to process cases in the order they were submitted, yet it doesn't mean getting an answer in the same order. Maybe some background checks take longer because of a more common name or something else, maybe a case went to an officer who's slower, who knows. I only heard from one other San Francisco filer and she had her interview just a couple weeks before me, even though she had applied in October of last year 🤷🏻‍♀️

I wouldn't freak out as long as you're within estimated processing time. (And even then I wouldn't freak out, but I would definitely start calling and contacting my senator if nothing moves)

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

4 hours ago, Laure&Colin said:

Honestly there's no rhyme or reason. I'm sure they're meant to process cases in the order they were submitted, yet it doesn't mean getting an answer in the same order. Maybe some background checks take longer because of a more common name or something else, maybe a case went to an officer who's slower, who knows. I only heard from one other San Francisco filer and she had her interview just a couple weeks before me, even though she had applied in October of last year 🤷🏻‍♀️

I wouldn't freak out as long as you're within estimated processing time. (And even then I wouldn't freak out, but I would definitely start calling and contacting my senator if nothing moves)

This is all very true. I applied 2nd Feb and still haven’t got an interview date. Am I sad to still be waiting? Yes. Am I worried something is wrong? No. I feel like I’d know by now if more evidence was needed or there was an issue. They are just taking my application slower than others for some unknown reason that I’ll probably never know. Just have to wait it out. And in the grand scheme of things, the n400 is one of the simpler and quicker processes 

14 hours ago, Woodpecker07 said:

Hello! I passed my citizenship interview, office Milwaukee :) My husband was interviewed first, alone. We were not expecting that! Then they called me, my husband left the room, and did the relationship questions to approve my ROC. Then the civic test, reading and writing test, and N400 questions. I had 2 agents interviewing me, one was more like an observer. It went well even if my hands were sweating hahahaha. Now wait for my ceremony date on the mail. :)

BTW. For who was asking if the civic questions were selected by the agent or showed randomly... My interviewer told me the system had been stuck with the same questions all day long, that it typically changes in every interview, randomly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Woodpecker07 said:

BTW. For who was asking if the civic questions were selected by the agent or showed randomly... My interviewer told me the system had been stuck with the same questions all day long, that it typically changes in every interview, randomly.

Thanks for the info.  My wife suspected that the computer was selecting the questions during her interview.  Congratulations!!!!  It is a great feeling to be free from USCIS!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.