Saihtiam

Question about my passport after the interview

13 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've got my embassy interview next week and I understand that if things go well (fingers crossed) the embassy will keep my passport and send it later via courier (something I have already registered for).

My question is this: Will the the embassy issue a receipt that they kept my passport? I ask because I live in a country where having my passport on me is important for ID purposes.

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have never heard of this

What do people who do not have Passports do?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My mother-in-law did her interview in Jakarta late last year.

They did not *keep* her passport at the time of the interview.  They wanted to do administrative processing first.

When they were ready to issue her visa, they had us send them the passport through the courier service.  The courier service included a "bill of lading" that specified what documents were being provided.  The first thing was her passport.  She had a copy of the courier document that showed where her passport was until she got it back with the visa in it.

@Saihtiam why could you not use your Kartu Tanda Penduduk (KTP) for identification purposes while the embassy has your passport?  

Regards,
Vicky's Mom

Thanks for sharing @Vickys_Mom - Unfortunately I do not have a KTP. I'm European so I don't think we are issued one. I was just curious in case they did keep it and I would need to prove that my passport is with the embassy it would be nice to have something in writing to confirm this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Make a copy

I suppose the foolproof route would be to get a second passport

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 hours ago, Saihtiam said:

Hey all,

I've got my embassy interview next week and I understand that if things go well (fingers crossed) the embassy will keep my passport and send it later via courier (something I have already registered for).

My question is this: Will the the embassy issue a receipt that they kept my passport? I ask because I live in a country where having my passport on me is important for ID purposes.

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Well, when my Fiance went to his interview in Jakarta in 2021 and he was told the K1 visa was approved, they kept his passport and he stayed in Jakarta, ( he lives in another city in Sumatera,) and they did not give a receipt.  He was not concerned.   Five days later he received the notice that the package was delivered to the pick up courier and he picked it up.  In 2023, as my spouse, the same thing happened, he went to the interview in Jakarta, his visa was approved, they kept his passport, no receipt given, and 5 days later he picked it up at the courier.  He stayed in Jakarta in a hotel for the time waiting and had no concerns.      

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Keeping the passport is the norm.  Keep your interview letter to support any needed claim of where your passport is for a few days.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

7 hours ago, Saihtiam said:

Unfortunately I do not have a KTP. I'm European so I don't think we are issued one.

That is indeed a valid concern.  I have been asked for my passport many times at checkpoints in Indonesia.  Usually I had it on me,  a few time in Surabaya I was passed through with just a photocopy and US Drivers licence.  In Jakarta I was detained along with the poor taxi driver who was driving me for like an hour with the cops trying to shake me down before they got tired of it and let us go.  Your circumstances is unusual so I could not say what the embassy would do but I am sure they are aware of the issue in Indonesia and would be sympathetic.  Perhaps your own embassy could provide you with a temporary document?

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, top_secret said:

That is indeed a valid concern.  I have been asked for my passport many times at checkpoints in Indonesia.  Usually I had it on me,  a few time in Surabaya I was passed through with just a photocopy and US Drivers licence.  In Jakarta I was detained along with the poor taxi driver who was driving me for like an hour with the cops trying to shake me down before they got tired of it and let us go.  Your circumstances is unusual so I could not say what the embassy would do but I am sure they are aware of the issue in Indonesia and would be sympathetic.  Perhaps your own embassy could provide you with a temporary document?

It's a few days.  Avoid checkpoints in the meantime.  Putting a visa in a passport is not "instant".  It's printed on a special secure machine and glued permantly to a page.  Once the visa is approved, you'll be without your passport for a few days.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

Avoid checkpoints in the meantime. 

Avoiding checkpoints in Jakarta is indeed a highly desirable endeavor but those guys can be tricky sometimes. 🙄  Stay in the hotel at night and your odds improve.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, top_secret said:

Avoiding checkpoints in Jakarta is indeed a highly desirable endeavor but those guys can be tricky sometimes. 🙄  Stay in the hotel at night and your odds improve.

It's life.  Sometimes you just gotta do what you just gotta do.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Thanks everyone for your help and your suggestions. It seems like I'll just have to be extra careful. I appreciate the quick response and I just want to say thank you again to everyone here on the forum for making this process so much easier. Very excited to do the interview!!!

• 4 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.