umith

Name change questions - Approved I130

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

We have a peculiar case.

My wife's name is A B C D(surname) on her passport

Let's say my name is X Y(surname)

On the marriage certificate we got my wife's  changed to C A B Y(my surname). C is her actual name, for some reason her parents kept her middle name first in the passport and birth certificate when she was little.

Now we are on the NVC stage. Seems like changing passport name might take a month. Can we submit the NVC ds260 as per passport name and later give the officer the updated name change passport at interview? ( NVC to interview is taking around 2-3months processing time and delaying ds260 submission would delay that)

On the i130 I mentioned C A B Y as her main name, and A B C D as her alias.

Edited by umith

8 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

u will list birth and passport 

and on the form it asks for all other names used so list all that have been formally used 

Would we be able to get the green card issued under the new marriage name? If we were to keep the passport the same until the interview?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
34 minutes ago, umith said:

Would we be able to get the green card issued under the new marriage name? If we were to keep the passport the same until the interview?

the name of the green card should be as listed on ds 260 /she can mention to CO at interview or just ask

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

the name of the green card should be as listed on ds 260 /she can mention to CO at interview or just ask

No, the name on green card will match what's in the passport. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, umith said:

Thanks, yes we are going to add the married name in the alias of the ds260

Greencard name = passport name.

So the only way to make that happen is to make sure the passport has the name you want.

Timeline
9 hours ago, umith said:

Now we are on the NVC stage. Seems like changing passport name might take a month. Can we submit the NVC ds260 as per passport name and later give the officer the updated name change passport at interview?

Yes.

But you must absolutely make sure to obtain that new passport because regardless of what you put on DS-260, the greencard will be in whatever name is in the passport, and not the DS-260.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It is helpful to use the terminology used in the passport and immigration forms.  Family name or surname are used, not "last name".  In China, and some other countries, the written "first name" IS the family name or surname.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

It is helpful to use the terminology used in the passport and immigration forms.  Family name or surname are used, not "last name".  In China, and some other countries, the written "first name" IS the family name or surname.

Majority of US immigration forms list Last Name. See example of current N-400 form. On a contrary, I haven't seen Surname used often (if at all) on US immigration forms.

Screenshot_20240130_174054_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

2 hours ago, nastra30 said:

Yes.

But you must absolutely make sure to obtain that new passport because regardless of what you put on DS-260, the greencard will be in whatever name is in the passport, and not the DS-260.

I've seen in a lot of forum posts that the married name is put on the green card, and maiden stays on the passport. How would that happen? And I've seen lots of instances. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, umith said:

I've seen in a lot of forum posts that the married name is put on the green card, and maiden stays on the passport. How would that happen? And I've seen lots of instances. 

Possible with adjustment of status. Not possible with consular processing. You are doing consular processing. With consular processing whatever name you have on passport is what will appear on greencard.

Edited by nastra30

Timeline
10 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Majority of US immigration forms list Last Name. See example of current N-400 form. On a contrary, I haven't seen Surname used often (if at all) on US immigration forms.

Screenshot_20240130_174054_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

"(Last Name)" in parenthesis.  Family name is the main heading.  Yes, Surname is used on passports, not US Immigration forms.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

31 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Possible with adjustment of status. Not possible with consular processing. You are doing consular processing. With consular processing whatever name you have on passport is what will appear on greencard.

Thanks.

Would I be able to apply for a passport after the NVC ds260 submission Stage? Trying to reduce our waiting time. New passport takes around 30 days in my country. Wait time between DQ and interview letter is 2-2.5months, so we'd like to use that time to reissue.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, umith said:

Thanks.

Would I be able to apply for a passport after the NVC ds260 submission Stage? Trying to reduce our waiting time. New passport takes around 30 days in my country. Wait time between DQ and interview letter is 2-2.5months, so we'd like to use that time to reissue.

There is no reason to wait.  Reissue the passport with the name you want, whenever.  As long as it is before the interview.  Earlier the better though.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.