Dags

N-400 based on 3 year rule

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I don't think it's the case. I answered all questions based on your scenario and it showed eligible. You either answered something incorrectly or she's not eligible on some criteria based on your answers.

Remember to answer everything from your wife's perspective. She is the one applying for N-400. She's the petitioner and beneficiary  Did you answer question about being married to US citizen correctly?

My answers if I was your wife based on 3 year rule:

- Were one or both of your parents a U.S. citizen when you were born?

- No

- How old are you?

- 18 or older

- Are you a member of the U.S. armed forces?

- No

- Are you a lawful permanent resident?

- Yes

- When did you become a lawful permanent resident?

- Between April 28, 2019 and April 28, 2021

- Are you married to a U.S. citizen?

- Yes

- Have you been married for 3 years or longer?

- Yes

- Has your spouse been a U.S. citizen for 3 years or longer?

- Yes

- Have you left the United States in the past 3 years?

- Yes

- Have any of your trips outside of the United States been longer than 6 months?

- No

Result:

"You may be eligible to apply for naturalization."

I don't think this form would ever tell you "Yes, you're eligible". It says "may be eligible" because there are other neuances to immigration process and form cannot evaluate everything.

My answers to the questions:

Q: Were one or both of your parents a U.S. citizen when you were born?

A: No

Q: How old are you?
A: over 18

Q: Are you a member of the U.S. armed forces?

Q: Are you a lawful permanent resident?
A: Yes

Q: When did you become a lawful permanent resident?
A: Between April 28, 2019 and April 28, 2021

Q: Are you married to a US Citizen?

Q: Have you been married for 3 years or longer?

Q: Has your spouse been a U.S. citizen for 3 years or longer?

Q: Have any of your trips outside of the United States been longer than 6 months?

... AND now this time it says eligible. Maybe a glitch earlier?  No idea.  

Either way I'll submit the form (and the fee $$) 

Getting her a US Passport will be so much better than what we are dealing with.  She's been amazing thru this process.  (As have all of you with the support)

2 minutes ago, EllisAndRenz said:

Either way I'll submit the form (and the fee $$) 

Make sure your wife goes through each question after you fill it. Ultimately, she's the one responsible for the answers and has to go through naturalization. 

3 minutes ago, EllisAndRenz said:

Getting her a US Passport will be so much better than what we are dealing with.  She's been amazing thru this process.  (As have all of you with the support)

Good luck and keep us updated!

Also, once she naturalizes in the US, she'll lose her Philippines citizenship. If she's interested in keeping it, she'd have to fill forms with her home country. 

Don't plan trips around naturalization interview and oath, or shortly after. She'll have to get a US passport first.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Make sure your wife goes through each question after you fill it. Ultimately, she's the one responsible for the answers and has to go through naturalization. 

Also, once she naturalizes in the US, she'll lose her Philippines citizenship. If she's interested in keeping it, she'd have to fill forms with her home country. 

Don't plan trips around naturalization interview and oath, or shortly after. She'll have to get a US passport first.

Oh, I get it.  She *always* sits next to me when I do this stuff.  (She just hates computers)

We travel to places she's good for, (her home, SE Asia, etc). she wants her US passport.  

Timeline
4 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Actually a question:  She says she keeps her Philippine citizenship as well.  Is this not true?  
(I've considered getting Philippine citizenship for retirement ... but I'd have to give up US Citizenship .. as I understand it, that's not true in reverse).  Maybe I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, EllisAndRenz said:

Actually a question:  She says she keeps her Philippine citizenship as well.  Is this not true?  
(I've considered getting Philippine citizenship for retirement ... but I'd have to give up US Citizenship .. as I understand it, that's not true in reverse).  Maybe I'm wrong.

She can keep it, but not automatically. She'd need to file some forms with Philippines government. Folks on this forum who went through US naturalization can give you set of steps. I'm not from Philippines so cannot comment.

Cc @Chancy

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

She can keep it, but not automatically. She'd need to file some forms with Philippines government. Folks on this forum who went through US naturalization can give you set of steps. I'm not from Philippines so cannot comment.

Cc @Chancy

No worries. I appreciate the advice.  

She's happy to be American.  She'll figure the rest out.  (Only so much I can do)

On 1/29/2024 at 5:10 PM, EllisAndRenz said:

@OldUser is correct -- your wife will lose her Philippine citizenship the moment she takes her US oath.  Her Philippine passport becomes void by PH law at that point.  But she can reacquire her PH citizenship and apply for a new passport with a visit to the PH embassy in Washington DC.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Chancy said:

@OldUser is correct -- your wife will lose her Philippine citizenship the moment she takes her US oath.  Her Philippine passport becomes void by PH law at that point.  But she can reacquire her PH citizenship and apply for a new passport with a visit to the PH embassy in Washington DC.

Yeah, she's refusing to believe that ... (but she's stubborn as I've discussed earlier).  

She'll figure it out and deal with it as it happens.

I'm just hoping to get my long-term spouse visa to the Philippines before she loses her citizenship.  LOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.