15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Not required, but the I-765 is free when filing with the I-485....She might change her mind later.   I would also, absolutely, file an I-131, too.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Not required, but the I-765 is free when filing with the I-485....She might change her mind later.   I would also, absolutely, file an I-131, too.

Thank you, so she doesn’t need to file I-765, and yes she would need to file I-131 because she would miss her family and friends in her country.

*** Topic moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures ***

Work permit is not just for working. It can be used as a form of ID too, it’s accepted in a lot places like banks and DMVs. I don’t really understand why people do not want to apply when it’s completely free and takes maybe 15 minutes to fill out the form. 

I would talk to her about the 'not wanting to work in the US' part, what will she do if this marriage doesn't work out? How will she provide for herself (assuming she will still want to stay in the US) without any work experience in the US? Also, working is about more than just money or a career, it is also a great way to meet new people and integrate into US society. A way for her to build her own life in the US and make some friends for example.

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

3 hours ago, powerpuff said:

*** Topic moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures ***

Work permit is not just for working. It can be used as a form of ID too, it’s accepted in a lot places like banks and DMVs. I don’t really understand why people do not want to apply when it’s completely free and takes maybe 15 minutes to fill out the form. 

Thank you for your suggestions. We’re not good at filling those forms, just trying to avoid unnecessary paperworks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Koro said:

Thank you for your suggestions. We’re not good at filling those forms, just trying to avoid unnecessary paperworks 

I think the point is you believe in this moment that it is unnecessary, but it could become very necessary and then costly, both financially and physically (time) in the future when you could save the headache and file now.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

7 minutes ago, Daphne . said:

I would talk to her about the 'not wanting to work in the US' part, what will she do if this marriage doesn't work out? How will she provide for herself (assuming she will still want to stay in the US) without any work experience in the US? Also, working is about more than just money or a career, it is also a great way to meet new people and integrate into US society. A way for her to build her own life in the US and make some friends for example.

She will go back to her country if our marriage doesn’t work out . She loves her country and she has everything in her country, family, friends, house and good income resources. She wants to stay with me forever. We chose to live in the states because her country’s immigration laws don’t allow foreign spouses to have a permanent residence status or citizenship. I’m also concerning how she can make many good friends in the states. My idea is to join some volunteer communities etc.  I appreciate your kind thoughts.

5 hours ago, Koro said:

I-765 is a breeze compared to I-485. You can do it! Good luck. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Koro said:

If you can fill out the rest of the forms, then the I-765 is no problem.  if you're truly "not good" then get help.

even if beneficiary has no plans to get a job, how about:

a) Want a SSN for bank accounts / loans / health care / etc. etc.?    Hard or impossible to get without worth authorization.

b) Want a driver's license?  EAD can be very helpful.

c) Want to help your friend's business?  Paint the house you own & rent out?  technically, might need an EAD.

d) Bored and want to start working part time for a hobby?  Need an EAD.

e) Want to be prepared in case petitioner loses their job and you have to work?  EAD also needed.

It's reckless to be lazy on a 15 minute form when the risk is you're locked out of so much of american life for an extra 6+ months because you realized too late you actually have a use for work auth.

3 hours ago, grant2 said:

It's reckless to be lazy on a 15 minute form when the risk is you're locked out of so much of american life for an extra 6+ months because you realized too late you actually have a use for work auth.

Sometimes this is a desire to have power over immigrant more than anything else. I hope this is not the case here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
4 hours ago, Koro said:

Thank you everyone who replied my posting for encouraging words 

I realize this is pedantic bc others have answered, but just adding on encouragement to file the I-765 and I-131 with I-485. Even if she doesn’t plan to work, in some states it makes getting and RealID and/or DL much easier, and can help your spouse feel like / know they’re establishing life here even during the AOS process. It can feel like a milestone in establishing new life together + more official to have a US ID. And those additional forms are easy, as others said. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.