SPHETE

Gathering evidence for an i-134 form, but my most recent tax return transcripts won't reflect my current salary.

18 posts in this topic

Hi! I had a couple questions about the i-134 form that I'm currently gathering evidence for. We are waiting on my fiancee's interview at the end of this month and I'm just going back through everything to make sure it all looks good. However, I'm a little confused as to what to include for evidence for my i-134 support form. Everything I've read makes clear that my IRS tax return transcripts are the most important piece of evidence for the 134, but my most recent transcript (for 2022) does not reflect my current salary of my new job. I started a new full time job in October of 2023, and with this new job I make well enough over 125% of the poverty line. I did not, however, make enough for even 100% of the poverty line with the job that I had in 2022, since it was part time and I was a student. I have a letter from my current employer stating my rate of pay and hours I work per week, as well as multiple paystubs proving this information. So I was wondering if I still should include my tax return transcript, since it does not add any proof that I fit well over the 125% poverty guideline. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Safe bet would be to use a Joint Sponsor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, SPHETE said:

Hi! I had a couple questions about the i-134 form that I'm currently gathering evidence for. We are waiting on my fiancee's interview at the end of this month and I'm just going back through everything to make sure it all looks good. However, I'm a little confused as to what to include for evidence for my i-134 support form. Everything I've read makes clear that my IRS tax return transcripts are the most important piece of evidence for the 134, but my most recent transcript (for 2022) does not reflect my current salary of my new job. I started a new full time job in October of 2023, and with this new job I make well enough over 125% of the poverty line. I did not, however, make enough for even 100% of the poverty line with the job that I had in 2022, since it was part time and I was a student. I have a letter from my current employer stating my rate of pay and hours I work per week, as well as multiple paystubs proving this information. So I was wondering if I still should include my tax return transcript, since it does not add any proof that I fit well over the 125% poverty guideline. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!!

Safer bet would be to read the Consulate instructions for guidance on the type of evidence they want.  A tax return does not show current income and current income is key.  Your best bet is to gather your current paystubs which should show your current pay rate and use that to document an annualized amount higher than the required threshold 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 hours ago, SPHETE said:

Everything I've read makes clear that my IRS tax return transcripts are the most important piece of evidence for the 134

That just isn't true if you are currently an employee.  The most important pieces of evidence are those which show CURRENT income.  If in doubt, get a well qualified joint sponsor.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 1/3/2024 at 10:35 AM, Crazy Cat said:

That just isn't true if you are currently an employee.  The most important pieces of evidence are those which show CURRENT income.  If in doubt, get a well qualified joint sponsor.

Do you think we'll be okay even without a joint sponsor? We were going to use my dad but he's recently lost his job so as of right now he does not have a consistent source of income. Do you think I should submit my 134 without the tax return forms or should I include them anyway just to be safe?

7 hours ago, SPHETE said:

Do you think we'll be okay even without a joint sponsor? We were going to use my dad but he's recently lost his job so as of right now he does not have a consistent source of income. Do you think I should submit my 134 without the tax return forms or should I include them anyway just to be safe?

Including information that doesn't help you qualify isn't being safe 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 1/2/2024 at 9:39 PM, SPHETE said:

Taking into account your specific situation, here are some additional details for your supporting evidence:

1. Tax Transcripts:

• Include tax transcripts for the last three years, even if they are below the poverty line. This helps provide a comprehensive financial history.
  2. New Job Pay Stubs:

• Attach pay stubs from your new job this year, especially since your previous year's income doesn't meet the poverty guidelines. Include all pay stubs since you started the new job in October.
  3. Employer Letter:

• Ensure the employer's written letter contains your yearly salary rather than weekly or monthly pay. This is crucial for clarity.
  4. Explanation Letter:

• Consider writing a letter explaining that last year you were in school, which affected your income. This context can help clarify the situation for the immigration authorities.
  5. Asset Documentation:

• If you have assets like a savings account or retirement account, include documentation to showcase your financial stability.

Remember to make clear and legible copies of all documents. Additionally, a cover letter summarizing your submission and expressing your commitment to supporting your fiancée during their stay can add a personal touch.

9 hours ago, TUC said:

Taking into account your specific situation, here are some additional details for your supporting evidence:

1. Tax Transcripts:

• Include tax transcripts for the last three years, even if they are below the poverty line. This helps provide a comprehensive financial history.
  2. New Job Pay Stubs:

• Attach pay stubs from your new job this year, especially since your previous year's income doesn't meet the poverty guidelines. Include all pay stubs since you started the new job in October.
  3. Employer Letter:

• Ensure the employer's written letter contains your yearly salary rather than weekly or monthly pay. This is crucial for clarity.
  4. Explanation Letter:

• Consider writing a letter explaining that last year you were in school, which affected your income. This context can help clarify the situation for the immigration authorities.
  5. Asset Documentation:

• If you have assets like a savings account or retirement account, include documentation to showcase your financial stability.

Remember to make clear and legible copies of all documents. Additionally, a cover letter summarizing your submission and expressing your commitment to supporting your fiancée during their stay can add a personal touch.

This is incredibly helpful, thank you! One more question - if my current job is based on hourly wages and not a yearly salary, should I still ask my boss to include a calculated yearly salary in the letter?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, SPHETE said:

This is incredibly helpful, thank you! One more question - if my current job is based on hourly wages and not a yearly salary, should I still ask my boss to include a calculated yearly salary in the letter?

Why not, not a complicated calculation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
36 minutes ago, SPHETE said:

Yes tell them to put it in form of yearly salary. (Even if you’re paid by the hour not technically salary) 

In all the guides and advice I’ve read it is always recommended to do it this way. Makes it much easier for the consular officer to see your salary, and se that it meets the minimum. 

so for example if you are making $1000 per week, then just have the write $52,000 yearly salary. 

1 hour ago, SPHETE said:

Just do it yourself.  Hourly rate * 40 hrs per week * 52 weeks a year.  Done.

5 hours ago, TUC said:

Yes tell them to put it in form of yearly salary. (Even if you’re paid by the hour not technically salary) 

In all the guides and advice I’ve read it is always recommended to do it this way. Makes it much easier for the consular officer to see your salary, and se that it meets the minimum. 

so for example if you are making $1000 per week, then just have the write $52,000 yearly salary. 

Thanks!! Do you think having them write my hourly rate, mention the minimum number of hours I work weekly, and then include an estimated salary? Or should I simply have them write it as if I make salary without mentioning the fact I make an hourly rate?

22 minutes ago, SPHETE said:

Thanks!! Do you think having them write my hourly rate, mention the minimum number of hours I work weekly, and then include an estimated salary? Or should I simply have them write it as if I make salary without mentioning the fact I make an hourly rate?

You disclose what is the truth 

Timeline
49 minutes ago, SPHETE said:

Don’t over complicate it. Just take your average weekly income and multiply it by 52 and put that number for yearly salary. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.