ToNhi

Đính Hôn/Dam Hoi/Engagement Party Evidence (K-1 Visa)

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 hours ago, JaredShadkin said:

It's a good thing we are not legally married, which is the requirement for CR/IR1. 

A Pareja de Hecho (otherwise known as a Domestic Partnership - roughly translated), is not recognized by the United States as a marriage, and only binding within Spain. 

Attaching more info for others who may see this in the future and are based in Spain:

https://www.abogadoextranjeriamadrid.net/en/what-is-pareja-hecho-spain/

Hopefully, the Consulate Officer agrees.   Good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

My question is about the Embassy in HCMC, Southern part of Vietnam. Are the consular officers there trained to know the different between a Engagement Party ( Lễ đính hôn) and an Official Wedding (Lễ Tân Hôn) Party and what they deem acceptable and not acceptabe when it comes to applying for a K-1 or CR-1. How about a Lễ Vu Quy? Will they expect Photos/Video if such a party happened. My fiancée and I had a Lễ đính hôn and were wondering if that could be cause for K-1 deniable, and possibly may need to refile for a CR-1 instead. 

K-1 Journey:

I-129F Sent: December 04, 2023 

I-129F Received: December 07, 2023 

I-129F NOA1: December 11, 2023 

I-129F NOA2: April 18, 2024
Case Sent to NVC: April 19, 2024 

NVC Case # Assigned: May 7, 2024

Case Left NVC: May 21, 2024 

Consulate Received: May 23, 2024 

Packet 3 Received: June 2, 2024 

Packet 3 Sent: June 3, 2024 

Timeline

Does the U.S. Consulate in HCMC Vietnam care if the Welcome Sign for the ceremony says Lễ Đính Hôn vs. Lễ Vu Quy? 

K-1 Journey:

Timeline

Hi @JasonGG, ours say Lễ Vu Quy, which apparently is "Wedding". Should I resubmit a CR-1 instead? 

385529702_284389481260910_7251420658321173181_n.jpg

K-1 Journey:

Timeline

@JasonGG Thank you so much! To you and your wife! I'm Vietnamese-American but not very fluent. 😂

K-1 Journey:

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ToNhi said:

@JasonGG Thank you so much! To you and your wife! I'm Vietnamese-American but not very fluent. 😂

Good luck to you and your fiancé.  Just making sure . . . Did you file any official papers with the government?  If not, you are fine.  You are definitely only engaged.

We submitted dam hoi photos when we applied for our K1 and the consulate expected to see them in 2017/18.  If it comes up , just say that was the florist’s andfotion and you did not have a wedding ceremony after the engagement ceremony.  They can confirm you didn’t submit papers for a marriage if they want.

Best of luck to you.  It is a long and stressful process.  Be patient, visit each other again if you can, and continue to collect as much documentation as possible.  

Jason

Timeline

Thank you, thank you, Jason!! Have not filed for any documents or marriage certificate yet! @IWanderAnd did not send this photo in with my application. I was planning on making a separate physical photo album for our Le Vu Quy if the Consular Officer decides they want to take a peek. Only sent in photos from before the ceremony and during our trips in Thailand and in Phu Quoc Pearl Island. 

K-1 Journey:

• powerpuff changed the title to Lễ đính hôn (Engagement) vs. Lễ Tân Hôn (Wedding) [Merged threads]
  • 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I did not frontload/attach my I-129F petition/packet with any evidence of the Dinh Hon/Dam Hoi/Engagement party. Will this cause an automatic rejection if my petition ever reaches the Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City?

I have heard that the HCMC Embassy usually already has a decision made (pink slip, blue slip 221g) before one even shows up for the interview. I did not attach any Dinh Hon evidence due to it appearing too similar to a "wedding" to USCIS. I am not exactly sure what the process is for HCMC, Vietnam and how to include the Dinh Hon evidence. 

Edited by ToNhi

K-1 Journey:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 hour ago, ToNhi said:

I did not frontload/attach my I-129F petition/packet with any evidence of the Dinh Hon/Dam Hoi/Engagement party. Will this cause an automatic rejection if my petition ever reaches the Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City?

I have heard that the HCMC Embassy usually already has a decision made (pink slip, blue slip 221g) before one even shows up for the interview. I did not attach any Dinh Hon evidence due to it appearing too similar to a "wedding" to USCIS. I am not exactly sure what the process is for HCMC, Vietnam and how to include the Dinh Hon evidence. 

-You can bring Dam Hoi's pictures in case they ask for it.

-Yes, the decision already made before the interview since they already take a look at the case beforehand. 

Important: Get a family's tree on hand and ready. It will save you a lot of hassle. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.