6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello,

I filed my I-485 packet and haven't received a confirmation yet.

There was a question I misunderstood.

It asked if I "have ever violated the term of my nonimmigrant status,"  I answered no because I thought it meant working here. To be honest I never intended to stay in the US, I have an approved i-130 and on a recent visit my husband insisted I stayed. Has this ever happened to anyone? What was the penalty as I do not want to be fined for lying but I hinestly misunderstood

45 minutes ago, MsSun said:

Hello,

I filed my I-485 packet and haven't received a confirmation yet.

There was a question I misunderstood.

It asked if I "have ever violated the term of my nonimmigrant status,"  I answered no because I thought it meant working here. To be honest I never intended to stay in the US, I have an approved i-130 and on a recent visit my husband insisted I stayed. Has this ever happened to anyone? What was the penalty as I do not want to be fined for lying but I hinestly misunderstood

on what visa did u use the last time you enter? 

on the day when u filed, did u overstay ?

no penalty or anything, u can always correct it if you get RFE or during interview (if you get an interview)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I entered on my visitor's visa. They only gave me 2 weeks according to my i-94 so I did overstay. My husband decided he's just gonna send i-485. I was in immigration group and someone asked about that question then I went back to my form and realized I answered wrong :(

OP, I am not an expert, but speaking from experience, during my in-person interview, the officer asked me verbally ALL of those questions that are in the 485 application. It turned out I misunderstood one of them (but I don't remember which one - I think it was the one about working) and answered wrong on paper. The officer changed my answer on the spot as he was asking me and said to me "It's ok, it's not a disqualifying question".

Now, I know some things can be left to the officer and it depends on who you get assigned to but it was not an issue in my case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.