HOUNOV2017

Houston N-400 Filers

1,563 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
23 hours ago, bonhomme said:

I naturalized on April 3rd. This was my experience.

The letter said the Oath Ceremony began at 7AM, and to get there at least 30 minutes early. (Same-sex couple here) So my husband and I both took the day off and woke up super early to get there around 6:30AM. USCIS officers were outside MO Educational Center to look at our letters, they'd tell us which entrance we needed to go to. I was "Section 3," so I needed to go to the other entrance.

We were made to wait outside for 30 minutes. Entering was kind of confusing. You were supposed to be in line, but you couldn't tell which line was what. So that was kind of blah. Inside there were small tables set up, each with a sign above them that said what section they were. You check in and give them your letter and your green card. Then they handed you a colored slip. After that, you could go in the auditorium. Then they start the announcements.

Well, ladies and gentleman, this is where my husband and I find out that while the letter said the ceremony begins at 7, it truly doesn't begin until 10 AM! The reason, the announcer said, is so that they can get everyone in before the ceremony starts. He also mentioned that some letters said different times, which makes me think they do that to come in staggered times so that they don't all come at once. This also is the reason they give the slips.

The announcer says that we could do the following (that day) once we naturalize: Register to vote, update our Social Security Card, and Apply for our Passport. I was all ready. I’d read on VisaJourney that they have reps from the SSA and the USPS so I filled my application online and brought my checkbook and photos. An hour before the ceremony starts, he tells us the reps from SSA and USPS didn't show up.

We saw all kinds of different people streaming. A young guy even came with a USA flag suit, very flashy. The letter says not to wear jeans, but I actually saw a lot of people wearing jeans... I didn't know how to feel about that. Anyways, we waited in our seats until 10 finally came around. They had food and beverage, but they only took cash. I'd only brought my card and checkbook. It finally started around 10:15. A few people gave some speeches. They recognized the people from the Army that were naturalizing. It was ceremonial and beautiful to see everyone so happy. I caught a few people crying. They sang the "Star Spangled Banner" and "My Country 'Tis of Thee."  I think the whole ceremony part took like 20 minutes. Finally, you could go pick up your certificate. This is where the slips came in. Colors corresponded to how early you arrived. Green was first, then Pink (Me), then Yellow…and I didn’t hear the rest. After this, you could go home.

They set up a "picture station" where people lined up to take selfies. I think this took the longest, and had the SSA and USPS people been there, I don't know if I would have done it. Most people were considerate. They took 3-5 picture pictures of each other before they went about their day, except this one lady who went back like 3 times, cutting in front of others and took like 1000 pictures. It was very rude and people from the back yelled at her to leave.

So my hopes of not having to take more time off deflated because of the no-show reps. Oh well. But, being as impatient as I am, I booked an appointment after the ceremony at the Houston Public Library near my apartment to get my passport.

That was my experience.

I naturalized the same day! I agree with this summary. The lines to get in were AWFUL. Not long, but confusing. I was section 4 (east side; same as Bonhomme) and the stadium had a ramp split by a divider so you'd think that applicants would go in one side and friends and family in the other... nope... both lines were on ONE side of the divider while the other was apparently just for the USCIS officer lol... there was no demarcation between the "friends and family" line and the applicant line so there was just one big mass and a lot of very confused people! Super weird.

The wait for the ceremony is no joke. We had a 5-month-old and a 2-year-old with us. Luckily I'd invited the in-laws so they helped us wrangle the kids. M.O. Campbell is a massive venue so it seemed like it was okay to invite parents as well as spouse. 

My group was the very last called to get our certificate, and then my husband (the sentimental type that he is) wanted to get a photo at the picture station. So we were I think the third-to-last people to exit the venue! We left around 1:30pm after getting there at 7am. Massive day, but the kiddos were good, and I'm really glad we got the photos in the end because they turned out beautifully. The wait wasn't so bad because you get to talk to everyone in line with you and hear their stories about naturalizing, which I found fascinating. 

The SSA and passport people not showing up was the worst part for me. I'm taking time off work tomorrow to go sit in the social security office for an estimated 3 hours. Not happy at all about that. Haven't applied for a passport since I'm doing all the updating with my naturalization certificate (updating SSA, work, etc) before I send it off for the passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ava2019 said:

Seems like there hasn't been any update this week so far:( 

PD: May 31st 2018

Looks like they issue Interview Notices in first couple of weeks and then go into a holding pattern. Last month they issued notices till 14-15th March and then there was a hold. I think the next batch would commence week of 29th April.

This is just a theory. There are no facts to substantiate it.

3 hours ago, Ava2019 said:

Seems like there hasn't been any update this week so far:( 

PD: May 31st 2018

Please correct me if I am. What I have observed at Houston office that they will schedule N400 then I485 and back to N400. I could imagine how backlog Houston office is because I485 waiting time now could be up to 20-21 months for interview. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 3/28/2019 at 12:57 PM, natvyas said:

Awesome. Seems like you are the first May filer who got the Interview Notice

Can you quickly fill this table:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JaGrvtrBcjYZoG3WJ3Qp3QqOipnvz2lF-9x8t7xfeE8/edit#gid=0

Done! Also, my interview is May 2nd at 10:10 am. Excited but a bit nervous, now it feels like time is going by fast! Also, congratulations to everyone who has completed their immigration journey. Thank you for updating on here and helping all of us out. 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency 

May 04. 2018 -  Filed N-400 application online    

May 04, 2018 NOA 

May 04, 2018 Cashd

May 11, 2018 -  Mailed NOA rec'd

May 12, 2018 -  Biometrics scheduled notice - rec'd online

May 14, 2018 -  Biometrics appt. notice - available online  - May 31st appt. date

May 18, 2018 -  Mailed notice for Biometrics appt. rec'd

May 23, 2018 -  Biometrics completed (early walk-in) - Houston ASC

May 23, 2018 -  Biometrics actively being reviewed notice  - rec'd online

May 24, 2018 -  Biometrics have been reviewed notice - rec'd online

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ava2019 said:

My case status just got updated to Interview scheduled! waiting on the date notice. 

PD: May 31st, 2018

Awesome ! Congrats

Looks like they have started issuing Interview Notices again. there was a lull since the 4 April

Edited by natvyas

We just received a text/email about the N400 interview this afternoon as well. Waiting for the actual interview letter in the mail.

It was roughly 11 months (and 1 day) from when we sent in the N400 package.

Does anyone know how far out they schedule the N400 interview? 1-2 months from now or longer? Ours is a combo (i751 & N400). Thanks.

1 hour ago, frontgear said:

We just received a text/email about the N400 interview this afternoon as well. Waiting for the actual interview letter in the mail.

It was roughly 11 months (and 1 day) from when we sent in the N400 package.

Does anyone know how far out they schedule the N400 interview? 1-2 months from now or longer? Ours is a combo (i751 & N400). Thanks.

check my timeline, not sure if its the same for your filed office. How did you know its a combo?

VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - OFFICIALLY U.S. CITIZEN AND END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

7 minutes ago, Lemon23 said:

check my timeline, not sure if its the same for your filed office. How did you know its a combo?

It's a combo because I created a SR not too long ago and received a reply that they would combine both and interview her/us at the same time.

So seems like 2 months for many people here. Thanks!

1 minute ago, frontgear said:

It's a combo because I created a SR not too long ago and received a reply that they would combine both and interview her/us at the same time.

So seems like 2 months for many people here. Thanks!

Nice, 2 months is kind a long, here in NY was 5 weeks. I guess many N-400 applicants on your state.

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - OFFICIALLY U.S. CITIZEN AND END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

12 hours ago, Lemon23 said:

Nice, 2 months is kind a long, here in NY was 5 weeks. I guess many N-400 applicants on your state.

Her interview appontment is May 22nd, roughly a month from today. Just found out by going to the USCIS website and downloading a copy of the interview letter.

Edited by frontgear

1 minute ago, frontgear said:

Her interview appontment is May 22nd, roughly a month from today. Just found out by going to the USCIS website and downloading a copy of the interview letter.

Yeap 2 months is kind a long, should be 5 weeks or at least a month, i believe it's pretty standard, same waiting time when we did my AOS.

1 hour ago, Ava2019 said:

Can you guys provide me the link you're using to view the interview letter online? I don't have the option on my account to view the letter anywhere?

Here you go. 

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.