Rearviewmirror

N-400 January 2024 filers

620 posts in this topic

The boss had her citizenship interview today. She passed easily. We had to fly back early from the Philippines for it but it was worth it to almost be done with USCIS for good. Already received the update that the oath ceremony will be scheduled.

Finally done...

5 hours ago, Shercook27 said:

Hey guys, I had my combo interview for n400/i751 in nyc on July 2nd. The interview went really well, we were laughing and joking with the officer the entire time and he was telling me about the timeline for oath ceremony. He also told me that the piece of paper he’d give me would say a decision cannot be made at this time because he needs to review the i751 one more time and can’t approve the n400 without the i751 approved first. I’ve been waiting for an update but my status is still at interview scheduled for n400 and fingerprints applied for i751. Has anyone dealt with this before? How long till you saw an update? I’m getting super anxious 

I have slightly similar scenario. Had combo interview on June 27 in Houston and end result was the same as you described. 

On June 29 my I-751 showed as approved and I received the approval notice. It says that their records show my N-400 was also approved so I will not get a new green card (officer at the interview also explained that). 

However it has now been over a week and my N-400 is still at Interview was Scheduled. So now I am stuck in limbo because I won’t have a new green card to travel with but don’t have approval or oath ceremony scheduled for N-400. Hoping it will not take too much longer…

Received interview notice June 18 for July 26 interview. Also just received an interview notice (dated 07-03-2024) for I-751 in the mail directly from field office.

March 2019: Married, Filed I-130 in April 2019

AOS: Filed June 10, 2020, Received June 13, 2020, Cheque cashed July 16

(I-130 approved in Oct 2019 because we were originally doing consular CR-1 processing)
NOAs July 24 (dated July 17) 2020
Biometrics Jan 7, 2021 (notice dated Dec 12, received Dec 22)
Case updated to 'Interview Scheduled' (Jan 19, 2021, received letter Jan 25)

February 24! Interview! New Card being produced!

Feb 25, 2021: Case approved.

March 1, 2021: Card was mailed

March 4, 2021: Green Card Received! 🥳

March 25, 2021: SSN Application
March 29, 2021: Received SSN
Dec 5, 2022: I-751 ROC Delivered to Lockbox

41 minutes ago, mattguk said:

I have slightly similar scenario. Had combo interview on June 27 in Houston and end result was the same as you described. 

On June 29 my I-751 showed as approved and I received the approval notice. It says that their records show my N-400 was also approved so I will not get a new green card (officer at the interview also explained that). 

However it has now been over a week and my N-400 is still at Interview was Scheduled. So now I am stuck in limbo because I won’t have a new green card to travel with but don’t have approval or oath ceremony scheduled for N-400. Hoping it will not take too much longer…

Wait, do they take your green card? I have travel plans a couple weeks after my interview! I can still travel on green card until the oath ceremony, right?

March 2019: Married, Filed I-130 in April 2019

AOS: Filed June 10, 2020, Received June 13, 2020, Cheque cashed July 16

(I-130 approved in Oct 2019 because we were originally doing consular CR-1 processing)
NOAs July 24 (dated July 17) 2020
Biometrics Jan 7, 2021 (notice dated Dec 12, received Dec 22)
Case updated to 'Interview Scheduled' (Jan 19, 2021, received letter Jan 25)

February 24! Interview! New Card being produced!

Feb 25, 2021: Case approved.

March 1, 2021: Card was mailed

March 4, 2021: Green Card Received! 🥳

March 25, 2021: SSN Application
March 29, 2021: Received SSN
Dec 5, 2022: I-751 ROC Delivered to Lockbox

47 minutes ago, mattguk said:

So now I am stuck in limbo because I won’t have a new green card to travel with but don’t have approval or oath ceremony scheduled for N-400. Hoping it will not take too much longer…

Don't you have an old GC + extension letter? You can travel with those no problem

1 hour ago, KAP2019 said:

Wait, do they take your green card? I have travel plans a couple weeks after my interview! I can still travel on green card until the oath ceremony, right?

They do not but I think “technically” you are not meant to travel until citizenship is done or until you receive a new green card (which we will not)

6 minutes ago, mattguk said:

They do not but I think “technically” you are not meant to travel until citizenship is done or until you receive a new green card (which we will not)

Not sure where this comes from. Before the oath you will be asked whether you had any trips between interview and oath date. You can list those.

As long as you're not barely meeting physical presence and continuous residence requirements that a short trip would disrupt, you should be fine. I wouldn't travel, but you're free to if you need to.

2 hours ago, KAP2019 said:

can still travel on green card until the oath ceremony, right?

Yes, just consider that your oath might happen soon after the interview - which then will mean you won't have the green card and will need a us passport to travel.

event.png

N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400

Apr 11, 2024 - Combo interview - approved N-400

May 1, 2024 - Approved ROC, received 10 GC on May 20.

May 7, 2024 - Oath scheduled for June 14 (requested later ceremony at interview)

June 14, 2024 - Special Flag Day Oath ceremony - I'm a citizen!!!

22 hours ago, Shercook27 said:

I’m getting majorly depressed and anxious… combo interview for i751 and n400 happened on July 2nd and it’s been total radio silence since then. Another person in the nyc office had her combo interview July 1st and she’s already been scheduled for her oath ceremony. 

USCIS has 120 days to issue a decision after N-400 interview. Did the other person have combo interview too? 

I wouldn't worry for another month or so. Your case is still being processed quickly. Only a year ago it was not unusual to wait a year for N-400 interview, but you got it in 6 months. If you never applied for N-400 you'd likely be hearing nothing about I-751 for another year or so. Keep us updated, I'm sure you'll hear from USCIS soon!

Edited by OldUser

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just home from our interview and the IO said congrats and gave us the letter saying our application was being recommended for approval. Said we should get an Oath Ceremony letter in the next couple of weeks. So relieved the end is in sight!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My wife had her oath on July 10th 2024, 3 days after the hurricane in Houston. The lady asked her if she had her i-751 approval notice at the Oath table. We did not bring it. The lady then told her to go to another table, they checked online and then said you are fine. It's finally over! 

I had my joint I-751/N-400 interview 3 weeks ago. I-751 was approved 2 days later but N-400 still shows interview scheduled. 

At the interview the officer said it would take “a few days” to approve the N-400 after I-751 is approved but now we are 3 weeks out. I know they have 120 days to make their decision but it seems weird that I’m still waiting for approval. Especially since the I-751 approval notice states that I will not receive a new green card because their records show that the N-400 has been approved. 

Is there anything I can do at this stage to move things along? Feels like the officer has just forgotten about us as she said nothing else was pending. 

Edited by mattguk
Adding detail on I-751 approval notice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.