thetreble

Importing a Canadian car to the US

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Jill, glad to hear you had such great service from Mazda! I'm about to request my compliance letter from them too. Is there a central number that you called? Or do you just go to your local Mazda dealer?

thanks!

Here's their contact info from this link.

Mazda North American Operations

Attn: International Imports/Exports

7755 Irvine Center Drive

Irvine, CA 92618-2922

USA: (949) 727-1990 extension 1114

FAX: (949) 727-6703

E-MAIL: intl.imports.exports@mazdausa.com

CANADA: (949) 727‑1990

Awesome, thanks Krikit!!

I e-mailed them, and they replied within a few hours! They just e-mailed me back a form to fill out and e-mail back to them... It says it can take up to 3 weeks, but they sent me the compliance letter in a matter of days! Simple.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Went to the Ford dealership today. Sat down with the Service Manager and went through my request. He was much nicer than the last 3 people on the phone. We finished everything up in about 30 minutes and I should have a faxed copy of the letter in 2-3 days, and formal copy in one month. Slowly checking things off my to-do list. :)

Timeline

hope he didnt charge u for it, the last few I have read from ford did charge a fee

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
hope he didnt charge u for it, the last few I have read from ford did charge a fee

$75.00 - less than the $100 Ford Canada said it would cost. Sadly, I felt like I was ahead $25, when really I'm still behind $75.00. :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I imported my car. No duty at the border but I had to pay Florida sales tax to register the title and get my plates.

What if you have a leased car?? Same rules apply?

Met online June 10 2007

Met in person August 17, 2007

Engaged Dec 2007

I-29F sent August 27, 2008

I-29F received by VSC California September 3, 2008

RFE received December 22, 2008 (more info req'd) UGGGGHHH

Timeline

Just in case anyone is wondering - here is what my compliance letter looks like. Got mine today. One last thing on the to do list. :)

Filed: Timeline
I imported my car. No duty at the border but I had to pay Florida sales tax to register the title and get my plates.

If you have a leased car you would need to speak with the company. I don't think you can import something that doesn't actually belong to you.

Just in case anyone is wondering - here is what my compliance letter looks like. Got mine today. One last thing on the to do list. :)

There's that stupid "running lights must be disabled" sentence. Just ignore it, Catt. Honestly. What a moronic thing to make note of. :rolleyes:

iagree.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's another question about Vehicle Compliance

Today I received my Vehicle Compliance letter from Mazda (very efficient - 1 day turn-around time and received by email). The bummer is that my vehicle (2001 Miata) does NOT comply with the Theft Prevention Standard (Labeling Requirement - US CFR Part 541). Apparently it has to do with labeling various vehicle body parts with the VIN number.

Has anyone had to do this before and if so, where on earth did you go to get your car tatooed :blink:

I live in Vancouver.

Thanks guys!

If you have a leased car you would need to speak with the company. I don't think you can import something that doesn't actually belong to you.

There's that stupid "running lights must be disabled" sentence. Just ignore it, Catt. Honestly. What a moronic thing to make note of. :rolleyes:

| k1 visa timeline |

22 feb 08 - petition mailed to csc

25 feb 08 - noa1

14 jul 08 - noa2

16 jul 08 - nvc received

23 jul 08 - nvc sent to consulate

25 jul 08 - us consulate received

30 jul 08 - rfe dated 28 jul received from consulate

31 jul 08 - rfe sent back to consulate

08 aug 08 - packet 3

27 aug 08 - medical complete

05 sept 08 - faxed back packet 3

15 sept 08 - received my birth certif!!

15 sept 08 - packet 4!!

21 oct 08 - interview - approved!

08 nov 08 - moved

27 dec 08 - married my sweetheart

| aos timeline |

01 feb 09 - aos/ead/ap mailed to chicago

03 feb 09 - received at chicago USCIS address

04 feb 09 - received driver's license!

11 feb 09 - received noa for aos/ead/ap dated feb 6

10 mar 09 - biometrics

06 apr 09 - received ap! dated mar 30

09 apr 09 - received ead! dated mar 30

21 apr 09 - received interview request! dated apr 15

25 jun 09 - interview - approved!

26 jun 09 - card production ordered

1 july 09 - approval letter received dated june 26

Timeline
Here's another question about Vehicle Compliance

Today I received my Vehicle Compliance letter from Mazda (very efficient - 1 day turn-around time and received by email). The bummer is that my vehicle (2001 Miata) does NOT comply with the Theft Prevention Standard (Labeling Requirement - US CFR Part 541). Apparently it has to do with labeling various vehicle body parts with the VIN number.

Has anyone had to do this before and if so, where on earth did you go to get your car tatooed :blink:

I live in Vancouver.

Thanks guys!

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT...ada01192007.htm

Not sure if this is what they are taking about:

If the manufacturer’s letter states that the vehicle complies with all applicable FMVSS but does not comply with the parts marking requirements of the Theft Prevention Standard at 49 CFR Part 541, the vehicle can only be imported as a conforming motor vehicle under Box 2B if the importer furnishes Customs with an invoice from a franchised dealer or other commercial entity showing that the required theft prevention markings have been applied to the vehicle.

I would call the POE perhaps and see what they typically require. Maybe its a simple fix - maybe you could ask for a quote from your garage.

Edited by cattattude

Timeline

If the manufacturer’s letter states that the vehicle complies with all applicable FMVSS but does not comply with the parts marking requirements of the Theft Prevention Standard at 49 CFR Part 541, the vehicle can only be imported as a conforming motor vehicle under Box 2B if the importer furnishes Customs with an invoice from a franchised dealer or other commercial entity showing that the required theft prevention markings have been applied to the vehicle.

I would call the POE perhaps and see what they typically require. Maybe its a simple fix - maybe you could ask for a quote from your garage.

Or it could be the same silly thing like the Running Lights thing Ford puts on some of its letters, which the Border guy saw and said 'Ford should know better'.

That said, when I called the POE about the lights, the guy told me that I absolutely had to have them disabled or I could not import the car - well I didn't and it was no problem.

I hope it's as cheap fix - otherwise you are just going to have to take your best guess at getting it fixed or not....good luck :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If the manufacturer's letter states that the vehicle complies with all applicable FMVSS but does not comply with the parts marking requirements of the Theft Prevention Standard at 49 CFR Part 541, the vehicle can only be imported as a conforming motor vehicle under Box 2B if the importer furnishes Customs with an invoice from a franchised dealer or other commercial entity showing that the required theft prevention markings have been applied to the vehicle.

Or it could be the same silly thing like the Running Lights thing Ford puts on some of its letters, which the Border guy saw and said 'Ford should know better'.

That said, when I called the POE about the lights, the guy told me that I absolutely had to have them disabled or I could not import the car - well I didn't and it was no problem.

I hope it's as cheap fix - otherwise you are just going to have to take your best guess at getting it fixed or not....good luck :thumbs:

Hey guys,

cattattitude, you're right on the money!

I emailed the US Dept. of Transportation and they sent this standard reply (which is verbatim from what you pulled off their website). Interestingly, I phoned the local Mazda dealership who were quite confused by the whole thing. They said that they get this request sometimes from insurance companies, but have never had people request it for import reasons. It'll cost $200 so at least I know it's do-able. I'm just so surprised that no other pre 2002 Mazda people have had to do this. Ah well! At least it's way less complicated than selling my car and buying another one. Here's the DOT reply:

---DOT reply---

Dear Ms. Grove,

If the manufacturer’s letter states that the vehicle complies with all applicable FMVSS but does not comply with the parts marking requirements of the Theft Prevention Standard at 49 CFR Part 541, the vehicle can only be imported as a conforming motor vehicle under Box 2B on the HS-7 Declaration form if the importer furnishes Customs with an invoice from a franchised dealer or other commercial entity showing that the required theft prevention markings have been applied to the vehicle. A copy of the HS-7 Declaration form is available on our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kristi Bragdon

NHTSA

----------------end DOT reply-----------

Happy monday guys, and thank you for your support :star:

Ingrid

| k1 visa timeline |

22 feb 08 - petition mailed to csc

25 feb 08 - noa1

14 jul 08 - noa2

16 jul 08 - nvc received

23 jul 08 - nvc sent to consulate

25 jul 08 - us consulate received

30 jul 08 - rfe dated 28 jul received from consulate

31 jul 08 - rfe sent back to consulate

08 aug 08 - packet 3

27 aug 08 - medical complete

05 sept 08 - faxed back packet 3

15 sept 08 - received my birth certif!!

15 sept 08 - packet 4!!

21 oct 08 - interview - approved!

08 nov 08 - moved

27 dec 08 - married my sweetheart

| aos timeline |

01 feb 09 - aos/ead/ap mailed to chicago

03 feb 09 - received at chicago USCIS address

04 feb 09 - received driver's license!

11 feb 09 - received noa for aos/ead/ap dated feb 6

10 mar 09 - biometrics

06 apr 09 - received ap! dated mar 30

09 apr 09 - received ead! dated mar 30

21 apr 09 - received interview request! dated apr 15

25 jun 09 - interview - approved!

26 jun 09 - card production ordered

1 july 09 - approval letter received dated june 26

Timeline
Does anyone else have a lien with Toyota Canada? They will not provide me with a compliance letter or authorize me to import my car unless I pay off my loan...apparently that is a condition of the loan that I wasn't aware of.

Sooo I am kind of stuck. I can't get a loan to cover the remaining balance in the US because I have no credit here yet. I can't get a loan in Canada because I don't live there anymore and I don't have a job!!!! And I can't afford to pay off the balance (2 years worth). The Toyota lady was a bit mean and said I would just have to sell my car, which I absolutely do NOT want to do.

Plus we are moving to Cali where I am already going to have to pay quite a bit in taxes and things to register it I think - they have some strange rules there, and the car was manufactured in Japan.

I know I CAN actually import it without the compliance letter, since it has the EPA compliance sticker and I spoke to the inland port people who said that is sufficient. But I also know that when I go to register my car they will want the lien info to create a title. Do they then send the title to the lienholder? Or do I get it?

I think I might just drive it back to Canada and park it till I work this one out!!

I drove my car in the US while I was still paying my loan. I didn't have it registered in California for several years and I was still able to get insurance through my wife's insurance policy. As long as you don't get pulled over and you get someone in your family to help renew your registration in your province I am sure you can get away with it for a little while longer, at least until you get your credit situation sorted out. You will have to go to a POE to import your car, if you're in SoCal, the POE is in Long Beach.

I registered my car about a year ago and it was pretty easy to get a letter through Honda. The letter will have your VIN on there so you can't just get someone else's compliance letter.

Once you get your import letter from the POE you have to get you car smog inspected at a special facility. Thing is you'll have to go to the DMV or call them to get them to send you information about getting your Smog done at one of these special locations. Once you have your Car Import letter and your smog check letter you can register your car. You probably won't pay that much for it, anywhere from $100 to $150, it only gets expensive if you have a brand new car luxury car worth over $38K (even more if you have a brand new luxury SUV).

Don't forget you'll also have to do your drivers written and driving test so don't forget to give yourself a refresher and learn the specific numbers as you'll have to know the imperial equivalence for distances on the written exam. i.e. signaling before a turn is 50 feet instead of 15 meters.

Oh yeah, if you have a car loan through the car financial company (i.e. Mazda Finance Canada) see if you can talk to Mazda Finance USA to get them to transfer or offer you a loan for your lien. Private financing companies are usually much easier to get loans from than banks and since you're just trying to keep your car maybe they can help you move it to a sister company. If not, get a Canadian loan on your car so that the car company does not have your lien anymore and therefore they will give you a compliance letter.

Good luck.

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.