Dsh07

[IR5][Beirut] DS-5535 requested for my mother (67 years old, limited travel history, insta/FB social media with no posts)

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hello

My mother from Lebanon is supposed to join my sister in the US and at the time of the interview when everything was accepted the consular came with a paper requesting DS-5535. I looked it up and I understand what it is, I was wondering why my mother of 67 years old with a not so extensive travel history and with basic social media accounts where she doesnt post anything but just follows her daughters and relatives, was subjected to such a form. 
Additionally, does anybody know the timeline expected in this case to process the DS-5535 and get back to us with a decision? What were your experiences with it?
We have emailed BeirutIV@state.gov requesting the form (as instructed in the paper) and we are waiting for them to send it to us (hopefully they would be prompt in sending it) so that we can fill it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 4:41 AM, Dsh07 said:

Hello

My mother from Lebanon is supposed to join my sister in the US and at the time of the interview when everything was accepted the consular came with a paper requesting DS-5535. I looked it up and I understand what it is, I was wondering why my mother of 67 years old with a not so extensive travel history and with basic social media accounts where she doesnt post anything but just follows her daughters and relatives, was subjected to such a form. 
Additionally, does anybody know the timeline expected in this case to process the DS-5535 and get back to us with a decision? What were your experiences with it?
We have emailed BeirutIV@state.gov requesting the form (as instructed in the paper) and we are waiting for them to send it to us (hopefully they would be prompt in sending it) so that we can fill it.

Hi! Any updates on the DS5355 ? My fiancé just got one in beirut and I’m worried it’ll take long. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

For everyone here asking about the DS-5535 for US embassy in Beirut. My family member was issued one of these. We completed and sent it back to the embassy by email. They approved their visa and issued 20 days after submitting the form to the embassy. Good luck all.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Hello Deagle, did your family member travel outside of Beirut prior to being issued the DS-5335? Mine did he is a travel Nurse and has been to about 10 countries in the Middle East, I'm just wondering if this will impact the time to get a response.

On 11/30/2023 at 12:03 PM, Deagle said:

For everyone here asking about the DS-5535 for US embassy in Beirut. My family member was issued one of these. We completed and sent it back to the embassy by email. They approved their visa and issued 20 days after submitting the form to the embassy. Good luck all.

14 hours ago, Z and N said:

Hello Deagle, did your family member travel outside of Beirut prior to being issued the DS-5335? Mine did he is a travel Nurse and has been to about 10 countries in the Middle East, I'm just wondering if this will impact the time to get a response.

If he has travelled to Iran, definitely.

Timeline
21 hours ago, Z and N said:

Yes, they had traveled before. I know people who has never traveled outside Lebanon in their life and were still issued a DS-5535.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Deagle that is very reassuring. I hope that they wont take long either, mum has never been to Iran but she met people who have visited Iran or Iraq for religious reasons and they did not get this form at all, instead visas were automatically approved.

so it is a black box really

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dsh07 said:

Deagle that is very reassuring. I hope that they wont take long either, mum has never been to Iran but she met people who have visited Iran or Iraq for religious reasons and they did not get this form at all, instead visas were automatically approved.

so it is a black box really

Don't worry. Hopefully things will be fine and will work out soon. This is very common procedure and nothing outside the norm.

11 hours ago, SalishSea said:

If he has travelled to Iran, definitely.

He has not, he hasn't been to Iraq either that's what weirded me out. He has been to Syria, Turkey and Eygpt I think those countries may have triggered something. He's also been to USA and Canada so I guess it's like someone else said here it's a black box and no one really knows why.

4 hours ago, Deagle said:

Yes, they had traveled before. I know people who has never traveled outside Lebanon in their life and were still issued a DS-5535.

Oh wow that's crazy tbh, I guess the only thing at this point that is scaring me is how long the process could take. We know for a fact his background check is clean he has even been to USA and Canada before so they have allowed him into the country before. I just worry with the increasing tension in Lebanon this background check is going to take long.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Z and N said:

Oh wow that's crazy tbh, I guess the only thing at this point that is scaring me is how long the process could take. We know for a fact his background check is clean he has even been to USA and Canada before so they have allowed him into the country before. I just worry with the increasing tension in Lebanon this background check is going to take long.

Not sure about that. My family's DS-5535 took 20 days to clear. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.