JackJack

I want to marry a US citizen

31 posts in this topic

I would suggest you ask your employer to upgrade your I-20 to H1-b (or another temp work permit, if you can get it earlier), then get married after you get the approval notice for it, followed by AOS.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, ive never seen such negative comments to a simple, above board Question.

The UK citizen may not of wanted to say anything personal, may of just been looking for some advise, after all we are an advice forum are we not. Maybe he wanted a quick answer and did not want to go into the whole story but may of done later. :( Give people a chance to prove there in it for the wrong reasons before putting in comments like the above.

Ok..... yes you can fiile for a K1 whilst in the USA and then just go home for the medical and interview at the end of the process OR as you did not come into the USA with the intent to marry you could stay and apply for AOS. (im not saying do this or dont, theres mixed views. In the RIGHT circimstances it is legal to go this route)

Hope you find your answers soon and good luck on whatever you decide. :)

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

The UK citizen may not of wanted to say anything personal, may of just been looking for some advise, after all we are an advice forum are we not. Maybe he wanted a quick answer and did not want to go into the whole story but may of done later. :( Give people a chance to prove there in it for the wrong reasons before putting in comments like the above.

Ok..... yes you can fiile for a K1 whilst in the USA and then just go home for the medical and interview at the end of the process OR as you did not come into the USA with the intent to marry you could stay and apply for AOS. (im not saying do this or dont, theres mixed views. In the RIGHT circimstances it is legal to go this route)

JackJack actually answered the question--he came to study originally, and met a girl whom he liked.

However, many on VJ seem to be "boxed in" by the marriage-related visas--and never consider the work visa (as JackJack is on OPT, this is a viable option as I stated above).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

JackJack actually answered the question--he came to study originally, and met a girl whom he liked.

However, many on VJ seem to be "boxed in" by the marriage-related visas--and never consider the work visa (as JackJack is on OPT, this is a viable option as I stated above).

Yes, he can go the work visa route to! I myself have never been "boxed in" i was just giving my view on marriage visas because thats what he was interested in. :) He actually states, he wants to marry a beautiful American girl.....Hence the marriage bit gave it away for me lol.

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Wow, You guys are like 'oh my God! He wants a green card' It's hilarious. But thank you for all your comments. Here is the situation: I am a guy wanting to marry a Beautiful USC, A girl I met a few months after I arrived, So yes, it is for love,

My apologies for casting aspersions. From your original post, it sounded like you were looking for someone in the US to marry. We get these kind here every now & then, and those people are why this process is so slow and so difficult.

Good luck in your quest. Here, have an avatar:

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Just follow Kezzie's link and file for AOS. You don't need to file for K-1 or K-3 and you don't need to go back to the UK.

Best of luck,

G

I-129F Filing

G (USA)

L (Scotland)

2005-02-05 Sent to TSC

2005-03-02 NOA2 rcvd

2005-04-27 Medical - 3:40 pm in Edinburgh

2005-05-19 Interview - approved!!

2005-06-12 G & L fly to Florida

2005-08-20 Wedding day!!

2005-09-15 Sent AOS docs

2005-09-23 NOA1 rcvd for 485, 765, and 131

2005-11-28 AP rcvd

2006-01-03 EAD rcvd

2006-03-08 AOS interview - Success - pending FBI name check!!

2006-04-05 Rcvd the 'Welcome To America' email. Name check is done!!

2006-04-17 Green Card Received!!

2008-02-05 Sent I-751 to remove conditions

2008-02-11 I-751 received in Texas

2008-02-25 Check finally cashed!!

2008-03-19 Biometrics completed in West Palm Beach

2008-12-23 Rcvd notification of GC production

2008-12-30 Rcvd notification of confirmation letter going in the mail.

"Just as our DNA is unique, so too is our visa processing experience."

G 3/31/05

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
But I am already in the country. Does anyone know what paperwork I need to fill out, and really where to start.....

Geez Louise people, what's wrong with just giving a straight-forward answer sometimes?

How Do I Become a Lawful Permanent Resident While in the United States?

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm

JackJack, don't forget the I-130, but that page is a good start.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Mo, I'm not even going to pass comment other than to say you know as well as I do why a straight answer wasn't given. I've been staying out of this one for fear of someone biting my head off ;)

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Wow, You guys are like 'oh my God! He wants a green card' It's hilarious. But thank you for all your comments. Here is the situation: I am a guy wanting to marry a Beautiful USC, A girl I met a few months after I arrived, So yes, it is for love, (actually her birthday is next month which is when i shall propose, in some big romantic way :) After leaving my studies I was employed by a Diving company, (I trained as a commercial diver) and shall be with them for many years I hope. I will automatically apply through them for my visa form (whichever number it is) for continuing employment. Apologies for not making it clear before, but I work 12 hours a day seven days a week and I'm very tired. I'll try the guides, as indicated, but any further help would be great

Than we all support you and wish you luck!

By the sounds of this you would just apply for AOS since you didn't enter the usa with the intent of getting married. If you went k1 visa route you wouldn't have leave and could do it when you are there until you have your interview, but when you enter on it you can't work until you get your EAD and i think this would be a problem in your case since you already have a job in the usa. it can take 1 or 3 months to get the EAD.

By the sounds of this you would just apply for AOS since you didn't enter the usa with the intent of getting married.

It's perfectly legal and accepted to enter the US with the intent of getting married. It is intention to immigrate that can cause problems and is illegal.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Jeees sorry about the hard time you got!! We are lovely on VJ honestly and don't hesitate to ask us more questions :yes: !

That said the K1&k3 route isn't for you because you've got a job etc in the States and coming back to the UK to wait out a marriage visa is just stupid.........so you could just get married and just adjust status, you came to the US with no intent to marry (student, work visas etc) so I don't see why you would have any problems.

A few people on this site (jayjay is one I can think off) went on a tourist visa and got married and I think everything went ok for them! I went to the USCIS office in Fresno before I came home (was on J1 student visa) to ask about our options and the guy just said 'why don't you guys just get married now?'!

Anway check out the Adjustment of Status thread, i'm sure there'll be people you can talk to there.

Good luck with your decisions!! :thumbs:

09/20/05 NOA1 received
11/22/05 NOA2 received (65 days)
12/05/05 NVC received application! (say 2-4 week wait)
12/13/05 Found out forms were sent to London on 12/08/05!
12/20/05 Packet 3 received!
01/11/06 Medical - Knightsbridge London
01/18/06 Sent back packet 3!
02/15/06 Received packet 4!

02/13/06 INTERVIEW DATE 03/22/06 AT 10.30AM!! - APPROVED

Married July 29th 2006!!

08/17/2006 Filed for AOS and EAD
08/26/2006 NOA1 received for both (dated 08/24/06)
09/06/2006 RFE email.....not sure what for yet!
9/07/2006 Biometrics completed
10/13/2006 Transferred to CSC!!
11/02/2006 Approval email received!!
11/08/2006 Welcome to USA letter arrives!

11/13/2006 GREEN CARD RECEIVED - NO MISTAKES!!!!

06/06/08 Family moved back to UK!!

Husband gained UK citizenship September 2015

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family relocating back to California

06/27/2016 I-130 Spousal Visa application sent to London Embassy

07/05/2016 NOA 1

08/31/2016 NOA 2 - case transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy

09/13/2016 3rd Letter received with LND number

10/14/2016 Medical

10/31/2016 Embassy interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Since you're in the US legally and you didn't go there just to get married, you don't NEED to apply for a marriage visa unless you have some deep-seated need to go back to England before you tie the knot. If you want to stay in the US and not leave you can just get married and apply to adjust status - you're not an illegal alien and there's no law against falling in love while you're going about your legal studies or legal employment... good luck!

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

By the sounds of this you would just apply for AOS since you didn't enter the usa with the intent of getting married.

It's perfectly legal and accepted to enter the US with the intent of getting married. It is intention to immigrate that can cause problems and is illegal.

Ok I said the same thing here as englishsammy "you could just get married and just adjust status, you came to the US with no intent to marry (student, work visas etc) so I don't see why you would have any problems." so why is what i posted getting centred out like i said something that wasn't right? how was I not right? he didn't originally get a visa with the intent to go there and marry someone. he met someone afterwards and as such could adjust staus with no problems. If he knew before getting a non spousal visa to the usa that he was going to marry a usc, but didn't go with that type of visa, is that not misrepresentation and considered illegal? your seriously confusing me. i feel as if i was misquoted, cause what you said didn't appy to the situation i was talking about. I'm really sorry if I'm completely out to lunch here. I'm not trying to be a b*tch.

"it's legal to to enter the us with intent on getting married" as in: you go there, get married, and than file for the appropriate visa based on that afterwards. not as in you go there with intent, get married, than file for straight aos while your still there. right? :huh:

Ok I said the same thing here as englishsammy "you could just get married and just adjust status, you came to the US with no intent to marry (student, work visas etc) so I don't see why you would have any problems." so why is what i posted getting centred out like i said something that wasn't right? how was I not right? he didn't originally get a visa with the intent to go there and marry someone. he met someone afterwards and as such could adjust staus with no problems. If he knew before getting a non spousal visa to the usa that he was going to marry a usc, but didn't go with that type of visa, is that not misrepresentation and considered illegal? your seriously confusing me. i feel as if i was misquoted, cause what you said didn't appy to the situation i was talking about. I'm really sorry if I'm completely out to lunch here. I'm not trying to be a b*tch.

"it's legal to to enter the us with intent on getting married" as in: you go there, get married, and than file for the appropriate visa based on that afterwards. not as in you go there with intent, get married, than file for straight aos while your still there. right? :huh:

All's cool :) not centering you out at all........englishsammy's post was after mine and I would of posted the same to that. It is not even misrepresentation to enter the US on a visitors visa or VWP with the intent to get married. Many of us have done that and returned home for the petitions to be filed and apply for a visa. It would only be misrepresentation and illegal if one was found to of had intent to immigrate if one applied to adjust status. So the last part of your post is correct. It just confuses members though when they read "with the intent of getting married" Not trying to be picky at all and I apologise if it came across that way.

Lorelle

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Sigh....I deeply apologize for jumping to conclusions....I have bad days where I make rash judgments just like everyone else. There was no negativity intended...honestly. And I agree...he did not need to relay any personal information....again I apologise.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.