lucho562

Breaking news!

64 posts in this topic

###### bridges should stay the ###### up.

(I doubt it's Al Qaeda, if only because there was no explosion, the bridge has been under construction, and who the ###### in al-Qaeda is going to go after Minneapolis?)

Not saying this IS terrorism but it's not really that far fetched to think they'd hit a major bridge in a major city. It's something I fear every day on my way to work.

There is no indication that terrorism had anything to do with it. Why is it when a major accident happens terrorism is the first thing on peoples minds? Until we know differently its an accident.

keTiiDCjGVo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a major city, but it's not NYC, SF, or DC. Less resonance. Kind of like Oklahoma City: a friend who works for, uh, the Treasury Department, explained they figured 'federal + Oklahoma' = homegrown, not international. In any case, it's not terrorism according to DHS, but... like, are their earthquakes in MN?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Watching is now on MSNBC... they're blaming vibrations... resonance...

musta been someone driving around using their rabbit :unsure:

How about we let a bit more time pass before we try to turn a tragedy into comedy? :)

who are you and what did you do with aj/as/gupt? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

It's a major city, but it's not NYC, SF, or DC. Less resonance. Kind of like Oklahoma City: a friend who works for, uh, the Treasury Department, explained they figured 'federal + Oklahoma' = homegrown, not international. In any case, it's not terrorism according to DHS, but... like, are their earthquakes in MN?

No quakes, but expansion and contraction due to temperature changes between winter and summer can easily weaken and road or bridge. This bridge has had 40 years of it.

keTiiDCjGVo

If someone slashed bridge funding, Minnesota is going to eat his balls.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline

No quakes, but expansion and contraction due to temperature changes between winter and summer can easily weaken and road or bridge. This bridge has had 40 years of it.

That's no excuse though; a 40 year-old bridge doesn't just collapse. 40 years old is not old for a bridge.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

If someone slashed bridge funding, Minnesota is going to eat his balls.

Yup, you can bet on that, Minnesota nice only goes so far.

Pictures are getting uploaded: http://www.flickr.com/photos/datasage/

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Very sad and stressful.

The thing that pops into my mind is a Mythbusters episode where they tested ways of getting out of cars that fell/crashed into water. Most of the public has no idea how to do it because it's not something we learn. And I can't help but think of the people whose cars have sunk. :( I hope more people got out than I think.

(Anyone who drives over bridges everyday should learn how to get out of a sinking car. There might still be info at Mythbuster's website, they tested many ways. )

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Very sad and stressful.

The thing that pops into my mind is a Mythbusters episode where they tested ways of getting out of cars that fell/crashed into water. Most of the public has no idea how to do it because it's not something we learn. And I can't help but think of the people whose cars have sunk. :( I hope more people got out than I think.

(Anyone who drives over bridges everyday should learn how to get out of a sinking car. There might still be info at Mythbuster's website, they tested many ways. )

Anyone can just google it; there are a ton of websites with this info. Most of it is very similar.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

As of 5:16 AM.

Hometown newspaper The Star-Tribune reported that nine people had been confirmed dead, 60 had been taken to hospitals and at least 20 remained missing early Thursday. The Associated Press put the number dead at seven so far.

Authorities said the death toll was expected to climb.

Asked about the possibility of finding more survivors, Fire Chief Jim Clack said, “The likelihood is fairly slim.”

and my sister lives there. no word yet from her :(

anybody else just feel like giving up? I have, but my love for Maggie keeps me sane

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If I remember correctly, we have something like a 20 year deficit in road construction needs. Haven't raised the gas tax in ages, not enough funding for roads.

I tried to get close this morning to take a peak, but no such luck. They're not letting anyone anywhere near it.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

If I remember correctly, we have something like a 20 year deficit in road construction needs. Haven't raised the gas tax in ages, not enough funding for roads.

I tried to get close this morning to take a peak, but no such luck. They're not letting anyone anywhere near it.

It's looking like the death toll could be close to 30; there are 9 confirmed dead and 20 missing, and if those missing 20 are in the water...well... :crying:

It's not looking good. My heart goes out to people affected by this.

We need a serious investigation here. 35 is a major highway that runs north-south through the US from the Mexican border to the Canadian border. It runs all the way through Texas and splits into 35W and 35E to run through Fort Worth and Dallas respectively. It's an interstate and that would indicate at least some level of federal responsibility for it. If they're neglecting Minnesota, why wouldn't they neglect the Texas sections too? This is some pretty scary stuff here. :unsure:

Also...this was the second bridge collapse in TWO DAYS; there was one in California on Tuesday. Just makes me wonder ####### is going on.