Shae B

Detained & Sent Back for Not Having Enough Cash [split topic]

38 posts in this topic

My friend from Australia was detained for 7/8 hours and then flown out because he didn't have enough cash on hand.  (he had 100 Australian dollars which is wort about 165 in current USD)  He ha the tickets for his return flight,  he was staying with "family"  so no hotel needed, we were gonna provide his food cause staying in family home, plus he was gonna receive $200 a week.  None of that was good enough---

This is a copy of his girlfriend's post on FB today about it

Today was supposed to be the most amazing early start to my birthday month.

My amazing boyfriend flew from Sydney, Aus. and was supposed to meet me in Dallas this morning at 4:35am. He made it to LAX at about 4pm yesterday, and was supposed to have an approixmately 7 hour layover. He was detained by US CBP (customs and border "protection") for being poor. No I'm not joking. I wish I was joking.

He was asked at the border how much cash he had. When he responded "none," they automatically assumed he has no money, which was far from correct. His meals, lodging, and transportation, both on the ground and to return to Australia were covered. He had money of his own to spend on anything of his choosing, as well as money coming to him weekly from home.

US CBP decided that his money was not enough and therefore he would be at risk of "violating the terms of the visa" that he had been granted before he left Australia. They refused to contact myself, his other partner here in the US, his wife back home, anyone who could corroborate his finance situation. They also refused to allow him to call or text any of us who love him, so we knew what was going on. "No phones or smart devices in the customs area." He was detained for over 7 hours. One he was out of the detainment area, he was seated in an area with no access to wifi, so he had to purchase internet on the airplane, to let us know what had happened.

Between the group of us, we spent over $2000 USD on this trip in the last month, yet our funds were not good enough for US CBP. Every single one of us involved are low income people, who pooled our resources and were able to make this happen. It was my birthday gifts, as well as Christmas for the entire group of us. All now ruined.

He traveled 6000 miles over 30 hours via car, train and airplane, to get here. He had a valid Australian passport and US issued visa. He followed all the rules to enter this country lawfully. He had his tickets to go home already paid for, within the parameters of his visa. There was absolutely no reason he should have been detained at all, let alone refused entry at LAX.

We plan to take this as high as possible. We'll be contacting many people over the next few days and weeks. This post is public so please feel free to share.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Actually it is about USD65, an extra 1 seems to have got in there.

I entered once and they asked me how much I had on me and it was less that $20, the change left over from a previous trip.

There are certain clues in the story that attracted my attention, however no point going any further when there is no one to ask.

The only people to contact is the Consulate to see if he can get a visa. Assuming he has any future plans to visit the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The above were split from an old thread in a different forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

20 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Girlfriend in the US posting about boyfriend's turnaround - boyfriend who doesn't seem to hold a job (200 weekly from whom?) and has a WIFE back in Australia? A group of people took collection for his flights and accommodations? 

What was his real reason to coming to the US? Doesn't sound like tourism in this instance.

No wonder he was turned around. 

I missed the bit about the wife! Red flags all over the place, frankly I'd have been amazed if he was admitted. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 hours ago, Shae B said:

We plan to take this as high as possible

Wasted effort.  He was seen as a risk for illegal stay. Nothing he can do except apply for a visa.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should ask for the notes in his passport. It might help figure out what all is going on and what they may have done.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

6 hours ago, MaxP22 said:

There's so many things that don't add up, and don't make much sense. What does make sense is that he was rightly denied. The boyfriend was the one who made errors that caused this, not the other way round.

Cringe at the whole 'gf posted story on FB', one of the reasons I don't use it, so many people just wanting attention by posting their life stories for everyone to see, when it should stay private.

Agreed!  Next up will be a gofundme and letter writing campaign because its just so unfair.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
14 hours ago, appleblossom said:

I missed the bit about the wife! Red flags all over the place, frankly I'd have been amazed if he was admitted. 

He has a gf partner and a wife. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

What on earth did I just read?? I wonder what they mean by “taking this high up and talking to many people”. 

Keep us posted OP! 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.