smore

K1 Visa or Spouse Visa Quicker

76 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, RO_AH said:

It will be a 3 week trip if you marry there. Just something to consider.

Plus several months at least after that to get the marriage certificate needed to file for the CR-1.  Plus the time until you acually return to get married. Thats why I said if you want a church wedding a K-1 is going to be faster if all you care about is the time until she gets to the USA.  But this whole topic is way premature since you haven't met her yet, except for my post above for what you need to do on your next trip, as a bare minimum, just in case you do decide to file for a K-1 after you meet.   You could even prepare her 2x2 photo and intent letters while you are there to make it easier.  

Given opportunity, we would have filed for CR1 rather than K1.  Less applications to be filed, and if cost is factored, why not try CR1.  Church weddings can be done there, but you need to meet first.  @Crazy Cat has made fine Bulletin points regarding both.  Good luck!

Edited by Me and her

Same women you’ve been speaking to for years @smore or a new woman? If the same I would probably go with K1 over marriage after several visits. As it has taken so long for the initial visit, several visits to the Philippines make take quite a few years… Unless you want to have religious ceremony in her hometown  so her family can witness the event. 
Definitely discuss with her your long term goals as a couple. It might sound unromantic but all the advice on VJ isn’t going to help you figure out what is best for your relationship. Only the two of you can make that determination. 
Good luck! And when are you going over to visit? 

21 hours ago, W199 said:

Unfortunately you don't know what you don't know so you can't really appreciate the advice others have giving you international relationships and cultural differences that can distort what kind of relationship you really have.

But in anycase, you are right about being proactive.  When you go there, make sure at the airport you take photos of the boarding passes, and then photos of yourself with her, and photos of you with her and her family, and maybe her with her friends.

And note the date, and location of each photo. You'll need this for the K-1.

And since you want a Church wedding, not a Utah wedding, the fastest thing to get her to USA given what you described will definately be the K-1 as long as you don't mind the disadvantages of it. 

Finally, given how much you don't know, and your confusion, I would recommend you use a professional agency. 

Its going to save you a HUGE amount of time and confusion and mis-information on the internet through the whole journey.

Thats what i did .. I used a agency that specializes in Filipino K-1 and CR-1, thats mostly all the do, it was the best $600 I spent. I'm not here to advertise for them, I just think you need it .. you can google to find them or send me PM .. and then you can call them for a free consult and decide for yourself.

Yes I agree being proactive is the way to go, and as detailed as possible because after all the government is standing in the way of us being together and we don't want any increased time. It does appear we have decided against the K1 and for the CR-1, just a what each other was comfortable with thing, being we want church wedding, and our religious beliefs and such.

Thanks for the advise on the professional agency, yes there is lots of confusion on the internet and I don't want to make mistakes which will only cost us more time. I had heard lawyers are very expensive, but for 600.00 as you mentioned its best to deal with less headaches and guessing and hoping your filling things out right.

20 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

I suggest you meet in person first.  I remember your previous posts and I think it's not your first virtual relationship.  As much as there can be virtual chemistry, some things, you will only know/see/observe/feel in person.  Try to spend as much time together as possible. 

Of course we will be meeting in person, but we do have a great connection going and we are just trying to be proactive and plan because given the process if we connect in person we would want to keep moving forward and be prepared. Its all just planning of course, ideas, etc, because we certainly need to meet in person and spend time together to see if that connection remains. But a bit of preparation and knowing how the process goes can save us alot of time as well.

18 hours ago, RO_AH said:

It will be a 3 week trip if you marry there. Just something to consider.

Why a 3 week trip. I knew of someone who married there and they were there just less than 2 weeks. Of course they had all the paperwork, wedding was planned, etc. They had the wedding and a small vacation afterwards.

6 hours ago, W199 said:

Plus several months at least after that to get the marriage certificate needed to file for the CR-1.  Plus the time until you acually return to get married. Thats why I said if you want a church wedding a K-1 is going to be faster if all you care about is the time until she gets to the USA.  But this whole topic is way premature since you haven't met her yet, except for my post above for what you need to do on your next trip, as a bare minimum, just in case you do decide to file for a K-1 after you meet.   You could even prepare her 2x2 photo and intent letters while you are there to make it easier.  

Sounds like after the wedding it would take a bit of time to get the certificate to even file for the CR-1. It does sound like its been decided if we do marry, and I say if because of course we are still getting to know each other that we would do the CR-1. This is just thinking of things if things keep going great, but reality is yes we have to meet and wait and see, but a bit of thinking about future is ok, especially in this case where the government controls the timeline and being prepared is very important to save time or at least be the best prepared.

5 hours ago, Redro said:

Same women you’ve been speaking to for years @smore or a new woman? If the same I would probably go with K1 over marriage after several visits. As it has taken so long for the initial visit, several visits to the Philippines make take quite a few years… Unless you want to have religious ceremony in her hometown  so her family can witness the event. 
Definitely discuss with her your long term goals as a couple. It might sound unromantic but all the advice on VJ isn’t going to help you figure out what is best for your relationship. Only the two of you can make that determination. 
Good luck! And when are you going over to visit? 

Not same. We do want religious ceremony with her family. We have been very upfront about our long term goals, who we seek, what we want, what we expect out of a partner. Its nice to be able to express these things and be on the same page.  I agree we need to figure out whats best for use and some of these conversations are very serious ones but they need to happen and she welcomes those serious conversations. I am hoping 4-6 months. Working with travel agent now to help figure out best, quickest flights from my location as it can be a bit tricky.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
18 minutes ago, smore said:

Of course we will be meeting in person, but we do have a great connection going and we are just trying to be proactive and plan because given the process if we connect in person we would want to keep moving forward and be prepared. Its all just planning of course, ideas, etc, because we certainly need to meet in person and spend time together to see if that connection remains. But a bit of preparation and knowing how the process goes can save us alot of time as well.

Marry during the first visit apart from being not a good idea is not a good idea from an Immigration perspective.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Marry during the first visit apart from being not a good idea is not a good idea from an Immigration perspective.

Oh no I am not marring on first visit, thats not part of any idea we have. Just preparing and thinking about future things. Maybe propose, but no intention of marrying on first visit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, smore said:

Why a 3 week trip. I knew of someone who married there and they were there just less than 2 weeks. Of course they had all the paperwork, wedding was planned, etc. They had the wedding and a small vacation afterwards.

Because there is a 2 week wait just to get the marriage license while you wait in the Philippines, everything is slow at best.  Google how to get a married in the Philippines for more details.

Edited by W199

4 hours ago, smore said:

Don't believe them. it takes 10 business days just to get the marriage license, counting weekends, that's already 2 weeks. Plus there are not too many, if any churches that will marry people without going through their premarital counseling and other hoops they make you jump through.

4 hours ago, smore said:

Sounds like after the wedding it would take a bit of time to get the certificate to even file for the CR-1.

Above anything else I tell you make sure that she goes to her LCR and asks if there is a process to expedite the PSA certificate. Then make sure that you use that process.

4 hours ago, smore said:

because after all the government is standing in the way of us being together

Every relationship has it's hurdles whether local or long distance. The government does not stand in the way, they have a door and a process to go through that door. No one is standing in your way. You could move to the PH tomorrow. Probably not in your life plans, but then that's you sanding in your way not the government right? If you choose this path, it's the path you choose so stop complaining about the government standing in your way.

11 hours ago, W199 said:

Plus several months at least after that to get the marriage certificate needed to file for the CR-1. 

If you request an expedite from the LCR sometimes you can get it in as fast as 2 weeks. If not 6 months would be a realistic number. The reason I chose CR1 over K1 was once she arrived here we were done and it is also less expensive. K1 once you arrive you are only half way through the immigration process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.