Ricky+Vanessa

N-400 October 2023 Filers

343 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
5 hours ago, stillbaffled said:

For anyone interested in reading about my experience:

Ohmygosh was it a most unceremonious and terrible experience to start. Well, pretty much the entire thing. (It was on Friday June 14)
I went to the San Francisco immigration building. (444 Washington)

Yeah I'm not surprised by your experience. Unfortunately nobody there, except for the officers conducting the interviews, was really professional...

Good news is now you're a citizen, so you can always contact your representative or Senator to complain about how you were treated at a federal agency. They deserve it. The security guards were also very unpleasant with people when I went.

Regarding your passport I don't think you could have gone the day of your oath ceremony without an appointment. I think they used to do that, but nowadays it's by appointment only, and only if you have urgent travel - otherwise you have to go through the post office. Which I did last week and the experience was quite poor too...

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

My N400 application was submitted October 11 2023, Interview Scheduled December 5 2023, Interview took place Jan 9 2024. Here in Orlando they are doing predominantly same day interviews and ceremonies. However at the end of my interview the interviewer lets me know they won't be able to do my oath ceremony today as he doesn't have 'one of the pieces of paperwork, it hasn't arrived yet' and he asks me to wait to see if he can get it today. So we sit in the waiting area for an hour or so after which he comes out and lets us know that unfortunately it won't be today, but we should get called back 'in a couple of weeks'. I have still not been called back, it has been 165 days since my interview at this point. I have called and asked to escalate since it has been past the 120 day decision window, but the last person I spoke to said that there is no point escalating anything until after November 2024 as my application is still considered within normal processing times.

Anyone had any experience with anything similar? Any advice?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
8 hours ago, Lj32 said:

My N400 application was submitted October 11 2023, Interview Scheduled December 5 2023, Interview took place Jan 9 2024. Here in Orlando they are doing predominantly same day interviews and ceremonies. However at the end of my interview the interviewer lets me know they won't be able to do my oath ceremony today as he doesn't have 'one of the pieces of paperwork, it hasn't arrived yet' and he asks me to wait to see if he can get it today. So we sit in the waiting area for an hour or so after which he comes out and lets us know that unfortunately it won't be today, but we should get called back 'in a couple of weeks'. I have still not been called back, it has been 165 days since my interview at this point. I have called and asked to escalate since it has been past the 120 day decision window, but the last person I spoke to said that there is no point escalating anything until after November 2024 as my application is still considered within normal processing times.

Damn, sorry to hear this, did they say what the piece of paperwork was?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
9 hours ago, Lj32 said:

File WoM

Link

In the naturalization process, after passing the English and civics tests, you can be approved immediately or may have to wait months, or even years, before a final decision. On U.S. Citizenship cases, USCIS has 120 days from the date of the interview to render a decision; when USCIS fails to do so, the law allows an applicant to seek judicial intervention by filing a 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b) lawsuit in Federal District Court. This action is also called “Writ of Mandamus“.

Timeline

Getting ready for my interview next week on July 1st. Any last minute suggestions y'all like to share? I'll be taking hard copies of the important documents for sure like my expired green card, wife's birth certificate, my passports, interview letter etc. Should I print out everything and take hard copies of other documents as well like all the tax transcripts, joint bank accounts etc?

6 hours ago, gogogo786 said:

Getting ready for my interview next week on July 1st. Any last minute suggestions y'all like to share? I'll be taking hard copies of the important documents for sure like my expired green card, wife's birth certificate, my passports, interview letter etc. Should I print out everything and take hard copies of other documents as well like all the tax transcripts, joint bank accounts etc?

Answered here

On 6/22/2024 at 9:31 PM, Duggu said:

File WoM

Link

In the naturalization process, after passing the English and civics tests, you can be approved immediately or may have to wait months, or even years, before a final decision. On U.S. Citizenship cases, USCIS has 120 days from the date of the interview to render a decision; when USCIS fails to do so, the law allows an applicant to seek judicial intervention by filing a 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b) lawsuit in Federal District Court. This action is also called “Writ of Mandamus“.

Thank you for this suggestion! I am going to look further into it as this is the first I've heard of it.

14 hours ago, gogogo786 said:

I took records of trips taken out of the country together as well as pictures from these trips and photos from large events (family Christmas, Weddings etc) and showed them when the officer asked to see 'anything extra'

On 6/22/2024 at 8:22 PM, brainless69 said:

Damn, sorry to hear this, did they say what the piece of paperwork was?

They did not - so I am at a complete loss as I filed online, so everything that I have sent them is digital and they should've been able to just print a copy if they needed it. So assuming it was something they have to provide?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/18/2024 at 12:27 PM, Ricky+Vanessa said:

The only part I'm going to comment on is the Passport.  Maybe someone should have been able to tell you where to go but maybe you also could have researched that beforehand?

Anyway, congratulations.  The passport process was pretty quick for me and I only expedited one part (that was the processing and not the delivery) so I'm hoping that yours comes through super fast and you are able to travel to see your mother.  Best of luck.

I decided to forego trying to do an expedited passport application through the post office and some websites like "rush my passport", and made an appointment at SF Passport Agency right in downtown San Francisco. I went on Monday at my allowed time of 10:30am, and got out out of that not-so-pleasant experience, except for the last person I saw at the counter with the bullet proof glass. She was so nice, and is processing my passport super quick. I'm going back there to pick it up today at 2pm!!! YAY. I can drive to Montreal to see my mom in hospice. PHEW! Now fingers crossed that the weather won't be too extreme. 

As for passport advice to others that I CAN say:
Even without any flight info or hotels booked I was able to get a super expedited passport book by filling out the paperwork, bringing it with me, along with photocopy of my naturalization certificate, photocopies of my driver's license (front and back), and leaving my original certificate for pickup with my passport today, by going to the actual agency that makes the passports.

I'm very happy with the quickness of this process. 😊

Best of luck to everyone still trying to get things done.

Here's part of my then my signature from my original login name "spiritalight" from 2007 plus new stuff:

You will do foolish things; do them with enthusiasm!! | Don't just do something, sit there.

K1: Flew/moved to the U.S. – January 9th, 2008 

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Card arrived – September 6th, 2008  :)
Moved to Honolulu 2010 | Moved to SFBA 2014

Renewed permanent resident card (green card)March 2020
N400: Applied to naturalize N400October 30, 2023

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

And my journey is over. Thank you to everyone for all the help 💗

AOS (I-485, I-130 & I-765) - Mt Laurel, NJ 

11/05/2019 - Package mailed / 11/06/2019 - Package received (Chicago Lockbox)

11/14/2019 - Received text message receipts (for the 3 forms)

11/15/2019 - Check cashed

11/18/2019 - Received hard copies of the NOAs (I-797C) for the 3 forms with a notice date of 11/13/2019

11/29/2019 - Received NOA for biometrics appointment on 12/13/2019 (notice date: 11/22/2019)

12/13/2019 - Biometrics done and case updated saying fingerprints were taken (text notification)

1/16/2020 - Case updated saying my case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

2/13/2020 - Case updated saying interview was scheduled

2/14/2020 - Case updated saying EAD card is being produced

2/18/2020 - Case updated saying I-765 was approved (104 days)

2/19/2020 - Case updated saying EAD card was mailed

2/21/2020 - EAD card received & notice of approval / Interview notice received for 3/26/2020

3/18/2020 -  Case updated saying interview was canceled (COVID) and that a notice is going to be mailed         -         3/19/2020 - Case updated saying case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

7/9/2020 - Case updated saying interview was scheduled

7/14/2020 - Notice received dated 7/9 saying interview scheduled for 8/6/2020

8/6/2020 - Mt. Laurel office closed due to hurricane Isaias. Interview will be rescheduled

8/19/2020 - Notice received dated 8/17 saying interview scheduled for 9/21/2020

9/21/2020 (Day 321) - Interview completed. I-130 update ''Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed'' and I-485 update ''Interview was completed and your case must be reviewed'' and ''New card is being produced''

9/23/2020 - Update saying card was mailed to me / Update saying I-485 and I-130 are approved

9/26/2020 - Received Approval Notices for I-130 and I-485

9/28/2020 - GREEN CARD received (Day 328)

ROC (I-751)

05/31/2022 - Received I-797C Reminder to file Form I-751 (dated 05/26/2022) 

7/8/2022 - Package mailed

7/11/2022 - Package received

7/18/2022 - Received notice letter saying GC expiration is extended for 24 months

7/26/2022 - Case updated saying fingerprints were taken

3/25/2023 - Received notice letter saying GC expiration is extended for 48 months

4/16/2024 - Case transferred to another office

4/23/2024 - Case was approved

N-400 (Mt. Laurel, NJ)

10/26/2023 - Case was received

2/28/2024 - Interview scheduled for 4/15/2024

4/15/2024 - Interview completed

4/22/2024 - N-400 recommended for approval. Oath ceremony will be scheduled.

5/20/2024 - Oath ceremony scheduled for 6/25/24.

6/25/24 - CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION received

On 6/22/2024 at 10:30 AM, Lj32 said:

spoke to said that there is no point escalating anything until after November 2024 as my application is still considered within normal processing times.

That's incorrect, 120 after interview is definitely past regular processing time. You should contact your representative and state that you have been waiting for over 170 days and they could try to help you move this along before you file a whole process over it. You have a right to have a decision in a reasonable time!

On 6/25/2024 at 8:57 AM, Lj32 said:

They did not - so I am at a complete loss as I filed online, so everything that I have sent them is digital and they should've been able to just print a copy if they needed it. So assuming it was something they have to provide?

Do you have a pending ROC by any chance?

event.png

N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400

Apr 11, 2024 - Combo interview - approved N-400

May 1, 2024 - Approved ROC, received 10 GC on May 20.

May 7, 2024 - Oath scheduled for June 14 (requested later ceremony at interview)

June 14, 2024 - Special Flag Day Oath ceremony - I'm a citizen!!!

3 hours ago, jackiegringa said:

That's incorrect, 120 after interview is definitely past regular processing time. You should contact your representative and state that you have been waiting for over 170 days and they could try to help you move this along before you file a whole process over it. You have a right to have a decision in a reasonable time!

Do you have a pending ROC by any chance?

I did have a pending ROC (Since September 2021), the officer at my naturalization interview said that would be approved in the mean time. So I'm now assuming that is the hold up. I filed a request for outside of processing time for my ROC about a month ago and two days ago received notice that it was approved. My US Representative today sent me an email saying the USCIS have approved my ROC and will adjudicate on my naturalization 'in the next 60 days'.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
Posted (edited)

Pleased to share my recent interview experience. Had my N-400/I-751 combo interview on July 1st. It was the most pleasant and humble experience one could ask for.

• Things might have been delayed the day of since we had to wait 90 minutes past our appointment time to be finally called up by the most friendly IO. She greeted my and my wife both, but politely asked my wife to wait in the lobby as she would not be needing her to adjudicate the case, even though she had called me a week before the appointment to remind me to bring my wife since there is a pending 751.
  • After the pleasant greetings, swearing in, and fingerprints and photo, I was asked to provide my greencard and DL(these ended up being the only documents she asked for out of the almost 500-page file I had).
  • Started with the civics questions, which I passed with ease. Then to the yes/no questions. I was asked if there were any changes, there were a couple changes since I had an international vacation between filing and interview, we updated that and signed it.
  • She congratulated me and said I passed the N-400 part of the interview, we will now proceed to the 751.
  • Asked my wife's full name. And congrats again that's all she needed.
  • Handed me the paper which said I passed the test. Explained the 751 transfer process, it will be approved once she has the file transferred. Once approved, oath ceremony notice will be mailed to me.
  • Walked me to the exit door, where my awesome pregnant wife waited patiently. 😁

July 2nd - 751 was transferred.

July 3rd - 751 case was approved.

July 3rd - N400 has been recommended for approval and submitted for quality review.

July 3rd - N400 oath ceremony will be scheduled.

July 4th - First 4th of July in this country of the last 20 years of me being here which had all the feels and emotions and that proud feeling of being an American.(Almost an American, I know)

July 9th - Oath ceremony has been scheduled for July 23rd. 🇺🇸

Thanks a lot to everybody on this forum. A lot of useful and helpful insight in here. Good luck to all who are still waiting.

Edited by gogogo786

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.