GEOntificator

First Time Passport - Certified Copy Confusion

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline

Hi all - I made an appointment with the USPS for my passport. I know I need to bring the DS-11, a check for the fee and supporting docs.

When it comes to supporting docs I am a bit confused. Do I need to bring both the original and also black and white copy of the naturalization certificate? If so, will they take both at the appointment or send me back with the original? I don't fee l very comfortable having the original taken for months as this would mean I have absolutely no document of any sort regarding my status.

Any help would be appreciated. 

• Submit your original evidence of U.S. citizenship.
  • Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of your original evidence of U.S. citizenship.
  • Photocopies must be: legible, on white 8.5”x11” standard paper, black and white, and single sided.
  • In some cases, you may be able to submit a certified copy of your citizenship evidence. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.
  • If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.
  • You cannot submit digital evidence of U.S. citizenship (e.g. electronic or mobile birth certificate) when applying for a U.S. passport. You must continue to submit your physical evidence of U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You will need the original Naturalization Certificate and a B&W copy of the certificate.  Both will be sent away with the passport application.  You have no choice.  They will return the original to you.   I suggest making a color scan of the NC for your records.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

***Moved to Passports, etc......***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

You will need the original Naturalization Certificate and a B&W copy of the certificate.  Both will be sent away with the passport application.  You have no choice.  They will return the original to you.   I suggest making a color scan of the NC for your records.

Thanks! I will do that.

Timeline

You will also need a copy of your government ID.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Don't forget the passport photos

mine were done up the USPS office itself ,  but  I went to the main one as not all offices do the photos

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

mine were done up the USPS office itself ,  but not I went to the main one as not all offices do the photos

CVS did a good job for wife's photos.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

mine were done up the USPS office itself ,  but  I went to the main one as not all offices do the photos

5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I am going to run up to Walgreens around the corner and take passport pics there. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The fee which is payable to the "U.S. Department of State" need to be a total of all fees (expedites plus passport book) in one lump sum correct? I understand that the USPS fee I can pay with my CC at the time of appt.

• 8 months later...
On 9/28/2023 at 11:30 AM, Crazy Cat said:

Hi! I’m  wondering what is step by step instructions to get a first passport ? What documents do we need to apply at the usps?

02/08/2019 - Package was received .

Timeline
Just now, happydoctor said:

Hi! I’m  wondering what is step by step instructions to get a first passport ? What documents do we need to apply at the usps?

Find a local passport acceptance agency.  Normally, this is a USPS post office or a county clerk (when applicable).  You can usually schedule an appointment on their site.  They all give good instructions on exactly what you will need.  In my wife's case, we needed: Passport application, her Naturalization certificate (and a BW copy), a state ID (and copy), and 2 payments. 

6 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Find a local passport acceptance agency.  Normally, this is a USPS post office or a county clerk (when applicable).  You can usually schedule an appointment on their site.  They all give good instructions on exactly what you will need.  In my wife's case, we needed: Passport application, her Naturalization certificate (and a BW copy), a state ID (and copy), and 2 payments. 

Thank you! So basically I can do it the same day as my oath ceremony?

02/08/2019 - Package was received .

Timeline
8 hours ago, happydoctor said:

Thank you! So basically I can do it the same day as my oath ceremony?

Yes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.