w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Embracing Illegals

379 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
There is no "legal" way for floor sweepers and veg pickers to come here - or visa

categories for these people - they are just not needed here.

I remember an employer in good ole' Nashville, TN that had a rather large staff of guest workers from the Philippines and Egypt. They were legally slaving for said employer in the US for a period of time. And they were working either housekeeping or room service. There must be legal ways. Not as many as people wanting to come here but that's always going to be the case no matter how many legal avenues you open.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if you walked into a store or restaurant and the people working there speaking Chinese?? would you consider them illegal??

i am just curious... not trying to "attack" you... :)

again we have the chose & can't thing. why the race question? and little things like "attack" are what starts fights.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

ok... so if you went into a store and everybody was not speaking English how would you know they were illegal??

I only meant that I didn't think people were attacking you, we are all just curious...

I know you said you used your powers of deduction but I am not clear how that works exactly...

and just so we are clear I am not for illegal immigration ...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
ok... so if you went into a store and everybody was not speaking English how would you know they were illegal??

I only meant that I didn't think people were attacking you, we are all just curious...

I know you said you used your powers of deduction but I am not clear how that works exactly...

From my experience working in a restaurant, most of the kitchen crews in restaurants are illegal immigrants. I don't agree with smoke20's position on a lot of things but I don't think it's unreasonable or highly presumptuous to guess where the 11 + million illegal immigrants are working. They are working the menial jobs that require little interaction with the general public in terms of communication. They are working the minimum wage jobs, the jobs that most people think are beneath them to work.

This goes back to my argument to smoke20 - that unless he's growing his own food and never goes to a restaurant, he is as much of an 'enabler' as those who of us who want to give them a pathway to legal status.

As Gupt stated - they're an integral part of our economy, which would collapse if they disappeared.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
As Gupt stated - they're an integral part of our economy, which would collapse if they disappeared.

so some claim. i'm doubting such.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Economists aren't just anybody.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

never claimed to be one, but i've probably had more college level economics courses than you ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Ever last place that was raided managed to survive without them. The economy as whole would just as well. In fact, it would be better off without that $10,000,000,000.00 annual burden they put on us collectively.

Ever last place that was raided managed to survive without them. The economy as whole would just as well. In fact, it would be better off without that $10,000,000,000.00 annual burden they put on us collectively.

But your talking small numbers at most, who says they don't go out and hire illegal immigrants again to fill up their shortage?

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
There is no "legal" way for floor sweepers and veg pickers to come here - or visa

categories for these people - they are just not needed here.

I'm tired of people saying "oooh those bastards - doing it illegally instead of following due

process". Please understand that there is no due process for them. No visa category

and no way to come here except sneaking across the border.

"We welcome legal immigrants" is essentially the same as "we don't want any more

immigrants", because it's virtually impossible to immigrate to the U.S. legally without

a family connection.

Actually there are visas for the produce pickers and manual laborers. Listed on the USCIS visa type web sites. As ET-US (Big Dog) states it will never be enough to cover the amount that want to come here regardless if you pop it to 1million such types a year.

From my experience working in a restaurant, most of the kitchen crews in restaurants are illegal immigrants. ...

Steven, you must not travel much around much then. I will grant that most restaurants there in CA or NYC, FL or TX might have many workers in them that are illegal, but to state that most kitchen crews are illegal aliens? Hardly.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

But your talking small numbers at most, who says they don't go out and hire illegal immigrants again to fill up their shortage?

Another raid impending if they tried. Swift meat packing plant here in CO was raided... all positions that were opened up by illegals being arrested were applied for and given to legal citizens or residents able to legally work here. Guess what, the price of my beef at the supermarket didn't go up.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

and just so we are clear I am not for illegal immigration ...

if i walk into a store & everybody or most could not speak english, i would be inclined to believe that someone in that store is illeagally in the US. what part of can't/could not is it you are not

comprehending?

you know there was a very aggressive tone to the posts this afternoon.

i said i use deductive reasoning. if you go to the atm & draw out $100, you buy $45 dollars worth of groceries. how much money do you have let out of the $100?...................$55 why do you know this? you spent $45 on food. did you count your money? no, you used deductive reasoning. no "powers" just common sence.

Our economy did fine before they got here, it's doing well despite the enormous drain they represent in free schooling and health care and it will do just fine if they all left tomorrow. That is just some twisted logic that sounds scary to the uninformed to try and sway them to change their minds. It's called fear mongering.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

ok, I just read over the posts from this afternoon and I only found one post that was bordering on aggressive....

like I said we were just curious and maybe you read it as aggressive...

I am sure there are a lot of people who are legally in the US who can't or won't speak English....

our old Landlord hardly spoke any English and she is here legally....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Why should ANYONE be considered illegal?

I am a teacher in the inner city who works with lots of undocumented students, many of whom came to the US when they were babies. This is their home, just like it is yours and mine.

Is the question a joke..

PS who is paying for those 'undocumented students' to attend school?? It certainly isn't the undocumented people who are receiving cash under the table.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.